The Queen of the South thread

I may be way off, but I get the impression the club are quite sound financially just now. My hope for QoS in cups is to get to the final, not get a money spinner tie.

Yes me too but this cup hasn't much appeal amongst managers or fans, so the club may as well make as much money out of itbas possible and the only way to do that is by playing at a full ibrox.

19 QOS 19 - while the Board are working miracles on the financial side there is absolutely no way that we can turn our noses up at the prospect of picking up 50% of a big Rangers match either at Palmerston or preferably Ibrox. The novelty of playing Rangers 4 times a year may have worn off for you but when they and Hibs have moved back to the Premier League clubs like us in our League will look back on these times and conclude that we have never had it so good.

For me going to Ibrox in the play off match in front of a huge crowd on live TV ( and giving a good account of ourselves) is almost as good as it gets. This was as close to a Cup Final experience as we are ever going to get in all probability.

It was noticeable that Livvy were much more competitive than Saturday - the importance of this tournament was not lost on them.

19 QOS 19 - while the Board are working miracles on the financial side there is absolutely no way that we can turn our noses up at the prospect of picking up 50% of a big Rangers match either at Palmerston or preferably Ibrox. The novelty of playing Rangers 4 times a year may have worn off for you but when they and Hibs have moved back to the Premier League clubs like us in our League will look back on these times and conclude that we have never had it so good.

For me going to Ibrox in the play off match in front of a huge crowd on live TV ( and giving a good account of ourselves) is almost as good as it gets. This was as close to a Cup Final experience as we are ever going to get in all probability.

It was noticeable that Livvy were much more competitive than Saturday - the importance of this tournament was not lost on them.

I don't think I'm the only person that it's worn off for. We never filled Palmerston for the league games, we'd have no chance of doing it in this cup (at a push possibly, if it was the semi-final). It wouldn't be anywhere near a full house at Ibrox either. There was only 18,000 there when they played Hibs. It'd be about 10,000 if it was us. It'd still give us a decent return but hardly a spectacular amount.

I never went to Livi at the weekend but I'll take your word for it they were better yesterday. If that's the case then they must have been truly awful as I thought they were woeful last night. I don't think they have the luxury of resting players like we did and as a result of us making too many changes they scraped by us.

In normal circumstances i wouldnt be too disappointed at a Challenge Cup exit but with Rangers in our region this was a much more important cup competition than the League Cup. If we had won another game or two we would have been in line for a money spinning tie with Rangers. The League Cup on the otherhand is a seeded Comp that favours the Premier League teams.

Think it was an error of judgement to use an experimental line up last night - would have been better to do that against Morton in my view for the reasons stated above. Without Rangers i would have had no problem with the line up but Livvy showed a better attitude and wanted it more. We got what we deserved.

I think you are enormously overstating this "experimental line up" notion. Dowie and Russell were injured whilst the switch to 3-5-2, hardly something revolutionary for us, necessitated choosing between Marshall and Conroy on the left side. The only by choice change was resting Lyle for Heffernan.

The 3-5-2 clearly didnt work and was dumped after half an hour but didnt cost us anything with it still being 0-0 at the time. We then werent helped by both Pickard and Hilson going off injured which left us with one more sub after 50 mins.

We didnt play well and went out albeit for me Livi were no better and the goal was a travesty. I dont agree that we took it lightly though.

3-5-2 would work if we had a full squad I think, with the personnel that was missing it made it difficult for us last night. For it to work I think we'd need to go -

Thomson

Brownlie/Hooper Dowie Higgins

Kidd Jacobs/Hutton Tapping/Millar Marshall

Conroy

Lyle Hilson/Russell

Which anyway I think leaves us with a decent starting 11. With good options on the bench. Last night for me proved a few things... Hutton (early days I know) and Jacobs are to similar, there both going to break play then play a simple pass, not passes that are going to carve teams open, I think them both being in the middle and Millar been shunted out wide had a detrimental effect to us creating next to nothing. We also lack width and any pace in attack.

Thought brownlie did pretty well though, see him quite similar to Durnan from

What I seen last night prone to a bit of rashness but over the whole I think he did alright. Heffernan held ball up well but if he's going to be uptops he needs someone with pace off him, was isolated to often last night.

I just keep telling myself I'd rather the victory last Saturday, than last night

Skyline - i would contend that playing Jacobs (a right sided player) as a left centre back in a back 3 was in itself experimental. When you add in Conroy as a left wing back - a creativeplayer who doesnt really want to track back , Pickard a novice at this level in central midfield and the introduction of both Hutton and Heffernan at the same time we were going into unchartered territory.

It is always easy to be wise after the event but i have to say that Livvy wanted that more bypressing high up the pitch and giving our defenders little time to build up play from the back. On the otherhand the isolated Heffernan gave the Livvy back four one of their easier games.

IMHO it doesnt take much to disturb the balance of a team - for me Jacobs and Conroy were out of position and you add in two players lacking in match fitness - Hutton and Heff . Much as Russell and Dowie were very badly missed i dont think we needed to make such radical changes to accommodate their absence.

Whats the script with steven higgins and callum tapping? Would like to see them involved sooner rather than later.

Tapping played on Saturday did he not? I'm guessing he wasn't risked last night due to him just getting over the minor injury.

Livi had to draw Rangers at Ibrox in QF of cup!

Serves Queens right for not giving a shit about the competition. Hate the disrespect we showed it on Tuesday, we should be wanting to succeed on all fronts. It might be the 'diddy cup' but it's our best chance at silverware and it's ignorant to turn our nose up at it.

Livi had to draw Rangers at Ibrox in QF of cup!

Cost the club six figures

You do realise that's completely irrelevant, as the order of teams in the draw would have been entirely different.

Could you please explain how it's cost the club 6 figures?

Edited by MONKMAN

Serves Queens right for not giving a shit about the competition. Hate the disrespect we showed it on Tuesday, we should be wanting to succeed on all fronts. It might be the 'diddy cup' but it's our best chance at silverware and it's ignorant to turn our nose up at it.

In what way did we do any of that?

You do realise that's completely irrelevant, as the order of teams in the draw would have been entirely different.

Could you please explain how it's cost the club 6 figures?

Of course it was an irrational post just annoyance following Tuesday night and the potential for revenue in this cup from progression! Edited by overthetop

Don't talk nonsense. I can guarantee you the management and players were desperate to win on Tuesday. We didn't show it any disrespect and other than resting a mid-30's striker for a midweek game and making a tactical switch to 3-5-2 (which didn't work and was changed by the half hour mark) the manager played what he believed was his best available side.

We didn't play well. We were beaten (by a handball goal). It happens. It's annoying. It's not as annoying as somebody claiming we weren't trying though.

Don't talk nonsense. I can guarantee you the management and players were desperate to win on Tuesday. We didn't show it any disrespect and other than resting a mid-30's striker for a midweek game and making a tactical switch to 3-5-2 (which didn't work and was changed by the half hour mark) the manager played what he believed was his best available side.

We didn't play well. We were beaten (by a handball goal). It happens. It's annoying. It's not as annoying as somebody claiming we weren't trying though.

Agree entirely, Mark Millar typified it for me he ran more in that game than he did all last season if he can continue like that he is going to be a very valuable player for Queens this season, the manager played what he thought was his strongest available side. Ok he got there positions wrong to start with & he held hid hands up but rectified it and on snother night Lyle, Millar & Conroy would all have scored.