The Queen of the South thread

The striking one is McCall though. Despite his posturing about not being supported by the board, and his self serving 'Great Escape' propaganda, he was pretty shit.

We knew that though. Remember he had 2 great escapes, the second one only required due to the horrific position he led us to.

Our Challenge Cup Final defeat, 1-0 to Falkirk, in 97/98, was shown live on Sky

but very few people had Sky back then.

It wasn't live.

Are you sure? I'm sure it was only highlights on a channel called Sky Scotland.

This is correct. The Aberdeen Cup semi final was definitely our first ever live tv game.

Was Friday night the first 0-0 for one of our live games? I know one of the draws was Rangers last season, but can't think what the other one was.

The other draw was 1-1 at Dundee in Brannigan's first game after Chisholm had deserted to Dundee two days earlier.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

For avoidance of doubt, the live tv games are:

12/04/2008 - QoS 4-3 Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Semi Final (Sky Sports 1)

24/05/2008 - QoS 2-3 Rangers, Scottish Cup Final (Sky Sports 1 & BBC1)

24/08/2008 - FC Nordsjaelland 2-1 QoS, UEFA Cup Qualifying Round (BBC2)

19/04/2009 - St Johnstone 2-3 QoS, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

25/09/2009 - QoS 1-2 Rangers, League Cup (BBC1)

23/03/2010 - Dundee 1-1 QoS, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

20/04/2010 - QoS 1-0 Ross County, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

10/04/2011 - QoS 0-2 Ross County, Alba Cup Final (BBC Alba)

18/09/2012 - Rangers 2-2 QoS, Ramsdens Cup (BBC Alba) - QoS won 4-3 on pens

07/04/2013 - QoS 1-1 Partick Thistle, Ramsdens Cup Final (BBC Alba) - QoS won 6-5 on pens

10/10/2014 - Raith Rovers 3-4 QoS, Championship (BBC Alba)

22/11/2014 - QoS 2-0 Raith Rovers, Championship (BBC Alba)

12/12/2014 - QoS 2-0 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

06/03/2015 - QoS 0-1 Falkirk, Scottish Cup (BBC1)

09/04/2015 - QoS 3-0 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

09/05/2015 - QoS 1-2 Rangers, Premiership Playoff Q-F (BT Sport)

17/05/2015 - Rangers 1-1 QoS, Premiership Playoff Q-F (BT Sport)

30/08/2015 - QoS 1-5 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

25/09/2015 - Falkirk 0-0 QoS, Championship (BBC Alba)

+

17/09/2013 - QoS 0-3 Rangers, Ramsdens Cup (BBC Alba), shown "As Live" at 10pm, about 15 minutes after it finished as UEFA rules prevented Alba covering it live as they wanted.

We knew that though. Remember he had 2 great escapes, the second one only required due to the horrific position he led us to.

I know, but an average of just over a point a game, over a long period is still startling and worse than I'd realised, given that he wasn't sacked - at least not officially, then moved onto a bigger club.

For avoidance of doubt, the live tv games are:

12/04/2008 - QoS 4-3 Aberdeen, Scottish Cup Semi Final (Sky Sports 1)

24/05/2008 - QoS 2-3 Rangers, Scottish Cup Final (Sky Sports 1 & BBC1)

24/08/2008 - FC Nordsjaelland 2-1 QoS, UEFA Cup Qualifying Round (BBC2)

19/04/2009 - St Johnstone 2-3 QoS, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

25/09/2009 - QoS 1-2 Rangers, League Cup (BBC1)

23/03/2010 - Dundee 1-1 QoS, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

20/04/2010 - QoS 1-0 Ross County, 1st Division (BBC Alba)

10/04/2011 - QoS 0-2 Ross County, Alba Cup Final (BBC Alba)

18/09/2012 - Rangers 2-2 QoS, Ramsdens Cup (BBC Alba) - QoS won 4-3 on pens

07/04/2013 - QoS 1-1 Partick Thistle, Ramsdens Cup Final (BBC Alba) - QoS won 6-5 on pens

10/10/2014 - Raith Rovers 3-4 QoS, Championship (BBC Alba)

22/11/2014 - QoS 2-0 Raith Rovers, Championship (BBC Alba)

12/12/2014 - QoS 2-0 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

06/03/2015 - QoS 0-1 Falkirk, Scottish Cup (BBC1)

09/04/2015 - QoS 3-0 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

09/05/2015 - QoS 1-2 Rangers, Premiership Playoff Q-F (BT Sport)

17/05/2015 - Rangers 1-1 QoS, Premiership Playoff Q-F (BT Sport)

30/08/2015 - QoS 1-5 Rangers, Championship (BT Sport)

25/09/2015 - Falkirk 0-0 QoS, Championship (BBC Alba)

+

17/09/2013 - QoS 0-3 Rangers, Ramsdens Cup (BBC Alba), shown "As Live" at 10pm, about 15 minutes after it finished as UEFA rules prevented Alba covering it live as they wanted.

Nearly half our televised games have come in the last year.

It took us ages to get on live. By the time it eventually happened, we were the biggest Scottish club not to have made such an appearance.

It took us two matches at Hampden and one overseas, to see us granted the privilege.

The first one was only required because he got us worse before he got us better too. The first one everyone remembers we came from 12 points back at the end of January to haul in Stranraer and get safe with a week to go. Not so many recall we were only 4 adrift when he took over.

However, he did sign the majority of the side that got us to Hampden and for signing Dobbie alone I'd forgive just about anything. Throw in Tosh as well and there's a good case for saying he made our best two signings of the last decade.

I know, but an average of just over a point a game, over a long period is still startling and worse than I'd realised, given that he wasn't sacked - at least not officially, then moved onto a bigger club.

He was as "sacked" as Iain Scott and Gus MacPherson were. And more sacked than Kenny Brannigan was.

Nearly half our televised games have come in the last year.

9 in the last 12 months, five of which have been against Rangers. Two each against Raith and Falkirk.

He was as "sacked" as Iain Scott and Gus MacPherson were. And more sacked than Kenny Brannigan was.

We've done this before and given your ringside seat I'll concede that you'll be right here.

Why was it billed differently though? Was it really just his media connections that ensured a different spin?

The first one was only required because he got us worse before he got us better too. The first one everyone remembers we came from 12 points back at the end of January to haul in Stranraer and get safe with a week to go. Not so many recall we were only 4 adrift when he took over.

However, he did sign the majority of the side that got us to Hampden and for signing Dobbie alone I'd forgive just about anything. Throw in Tosh as well and there's a good case for saying he made our best two signings of the last decade.

Yes, that's the tricky part with McCall.

I thought we were actually only three adrift of Stranraer when he came in. A rotten start under him, crowned by the famous Jenkins New Year defeat at Stranraer seemed to finish us off. As your stats suggest, our subsequent survival owed more to a Stranraer collapse than any magnificent run we put together.

It is hard to ignore that he brought in Dobbie though. As mitigating factors go, that's a biggie.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We've done this before and given your ringside seat I'll concede that you'll be right here.Why was it billed differently though? Was it really just his media connections that ensured a different spin?

It was billed as "mutual consent" just as Scott was. In retrospect I would need to check exactly what was said about Gus. I think he may actually have been relieved of duties with Gus coming out after and saying he was going to leave anyway. Similarly McCall was happy to run with the line that he wanted to move on anyway.

Yes, that's the tricky part with McCall.

I thought we were actually only three adrift of Stranraer when he came in. A rotten start under him, crowned by the famous Jenkins New Year defeat at Stranraer seemed to finish us off. As your stats suggest, our subsequent survival owed more to a Stranraer collapse than any magnificent run we put together.

It is hard to ignore that he brought in Dobbie though. As mitigating factors go, that's a biggie.

You might be right about the point gap. I tried to check it and couldnt find a definitive answer. Would need to go look out the programme i think.

To be fair the runs to both great escapes were good. He was unbeaten at Palmerston from Xmas until we got safe in the first one for instance. McCall's two campaigns though were marked by very polarised periods of results. Dreadful first parts of the season and excellent recovery runs. He didnt average 1.1 pts per game evenly.

It was billed as "mutual consent" just as Scott was. In retrospect I would need to check exactly what was said about Gus. I think he may actually have been relieved of duties with Gus coming out after and saying he was going to leave anyway. Similarly McCall was happy to run with the line that he wanted to move on anyway.

Fair enough. My recollection of McCall going though, was very much that to outsiders, it was projected in the day or two afterwards (including around that ridiculous final set up and performance) that Queens were refusing to match his ambitions.

Again, have I got that wrong, or did he simply manage the story more successfully in his own favour, than the others were able to?

Anyway just to add to this forum the news picked up tonight of the sudden and unexpected death of Mick Cunningham at the Stoke v Bournemouth game yesterday. Some older Queens fans may remember Mick from the mid 1990's. He was founder of the "Not the 8502" Bournemouth fanzine and somewhere along the way he and his mates adopted Queens as their Scottish club. They used to come up to games 2 or 3 times a season, especially if AFCB had a Friday night fixture up North and certainly attended at least one Player of the Year function. They were well known to those around the Travel Club at the time.

I hadnt seen Mick for circa 20 years but he went on to work for Bournemouth on a full time basis and edited their programme as well as acting as club photographer. He had moved on to a job with a local paper but still covering the Cherries. I have no doubt last season was a treasured memory for him and I had found myself wondering if he was still going as they were winning last season's championship. It appears he was.

RIP Mick.

Edited by Skyline Drifter