The General Ross County Chat Thread

Curran said in the press a few months ago that he intended be at pre-season with the others, nothing else has been said to indicate otherwise.

We haven't had the annual SNSPix pre-season photocall yet, so maybe that will happen in the coming week with all the signings ahead of the Hungary trip.

Edited by bunglebonce

I see you've released Da Vita.

Is he left sided/footed, and can he put in a decent cross?

Yes and yes. He also thinks the pitch starts at the 50 yard line. Doubt there will be many county fans particularly fussed that he's going.

Yes and yes. He also thinks the pitch starts at the 50 yard line. Doubt there will be many county fans particularly fussed that he's going.

I believe the phrase is flat track bully. He ripped teams like Falkirk to pieces and disappeared in the derby games. Seems like a thoroughly decent chap, and I wish him well, but I think it says it all that Franks was a better option last season.

I believe the phrase is flat track bully. He ripped teams like Falkirk to pieces and disappeared in the derby games. Seems like a thoroughly decent chap, and I wish him well, but I think it says it all that Franks was a better option last season.

Cheers.

We're looking for a left sided creative midfielder/winger.

If ripping Falkirk a new one is his level, then he could do reasonably well in the Championship.

I miss the De Vita from his first 5 months or so with us. He was handy. I'm sure he's more than capable of handling the Championship.

Cheers.

We're looking for a left sided creative midfielder/winger.

If ripping Falkirk a new one is his level, then he could do reasonably well in the Championship.

He'd be a tremendous signing for you guys.

Curran said in the press a few months ago that he intended be at pre-season with the others, nothing else has been said to indicate otherwise.

We haven't had the annual SNSPix pre-season photocall yet, so maybe that will happen in the coming week with all the signings ahead of the Hungary trip.

Some good news in today's P&J.

We've not seen him since the thug draper nailed him on the back of his head within 10mins of the cooncil dump match, months ago.  The way he'd been playing before he had the concussion problems, he could easily have been our player of the season.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/961609/curran-aiming-for-fresh-start-in-staggies-recovery/?

Craig Curran aiming for fresh start in Staggies recovery

Ross County forward Craig Curran did too much too soon in his attempts to recover from a succession of injuries and illness, but is confident his dark days are done.

Curran, pictured below, spent several months on the sidelines last season after suffering dizziness, fatigue and headaches following a blow to the head in the 4-0 victory against Kilmarnock last August.

Although Curran returned in October, the Englishman broke down again after suffering from glandular fever, and went on to miss almost the entire second half of the campaign.

After participating in every training session since the Staggies returned for pre-season last Friday, Curran reckons he is on course for a full recovery.

He said: “It has been a long time. It’s the first pre-season I’ve actually looked forward to, even with all the running.

“No-one ever wants to miss so much football, and I had two good spells playing last year, but it was marred by the two bad spells as well.

“I wanted to push it when it was not the right time.

“I knew last year that even when I was trying to get back, I wasn’t right. But it’s a different feeling this time around. I feel a lot better. I’ve got to the point now where I can train and play.

“I’ve done all the training with the rest of the squad and all the running. The tough runs have been fine and my fitness levels are good, they’re starting to get back.

“Another week or two of football and I’ll be going into the season in better condition than I was last year. That will be a good thing for me, and I’ll be looking to kick on.

“I want to make sure I have a good year and stay fit and healthy.â€

Curran was forced to watch on from the sidelines and the 26-year-old added: “They were probably my two toughest days in football, watching the League Cup semi-final and the final win against Hibs.

“I missed a lot of games, and they were all bad days, but I was thrilled for everyone when we won the League Cup.

“But I’m not going to dwell on the past, I’ve got my mind on the future.â€

A question for Bunglebounce looking at the abilities of Craig Curran and Liam Boyce would you be an advocate for Jim using either player in a more regular midfield position.

I know both players have had a run out in midfield at different times I was particular impress with Boyce in his deeper role towards end of last season.

I really liked Boyce playing behind the two strikers against Aberdeen.  He passes into space like not many others in the team and when he does it, the whole team looks so much better.  However, his tackling and defending in open play are really bad, so I don't see him playing deeper than that.   It would take a lot of balls to play three strikers like that on a regular basis in what will probably turn out to be a cut-throat league.

Curran maybe seems better suited to being converted into a midfielder, due to his game being based on his tenacity more than his - improving - technique.  He has been used as a wide midfielder at a pinch, but he doesn't have the out-and-out pace or the skill to beat a player out there and a lot of what makes him a good player is missing there.

Maybe there is an argument for Curran playing as a box-to-box central midfielder.  It might be a good way to make the most of his energy etc.  But then I think of how good Alan Smith was at harrying defenders as a striker at Leeds, and how mediocre he turned out to be as a converted central midfielder at Man Utd and Newcastle (although his leg break didn't help).

I don't see either happening at this point as solution going through the season, but you never know long-term.  I think the only certainty is at least one of the forwards is going to be disappointed, because if Curran is back to his best then McIntyre will surely be tempted to start Curran and Boyce together again.

I think the only certainty is at least one of the forwards is going to be disappointed, because if Curran is back to his best then McIntyre will surely be tempted to start Curran and Boyce together again.

Have we ever seen Curran & Schalk start a game together? 

I can't think of them being in the same XI.

5pm BST marks the first friendly of the summer, with the starting line-up seemingly:

McCarey

Cikos Davies McEveley Van der Weg

Franks Irvine Woods Foster

Curran Schalk

Team news from here.

Some initial thoughts:

1) Curran must have done well enough through the first week or so to get the start here, woohoo!

2) Gardyne is out with blisters, but even so there's a glaring spot on the wings.  I know Foster had a good game against Aberdeen the one time he was used there, but I don't expect him to be the long term solution for there.