The General Ross County Chat Thread

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's absolutely definitely not the wages or signing on fee you're offering....

It's largely down to the significantly lower volume of c***s. But whatever helps you sleep.

The last time McIntyre picked today's front six County got skelped by Dundee at Dens, so I'm grateful for the win today.

Hopefully someone else will come in to replace Irvine though, because Gardyne-Woods-McShane-Franks is unlikely to protect the pocket in front of central defence very well over the course of the season.

Edited by bunglebonce

12 minutes ago, deldad7 said:

Indicative of what exactly? Squad numbers don't mean anything.

They really do, if only on a superficial level.

Do you not read anything into the fact that Scott Boyd is no longer number 5?

No I don't, Jackson Irvine was number 36 before he left and was probably first name of the sheet. The days of the starting XI being 1 to 11 are long gone. I wouldn't look too much into it until it has been confirmed the players have actually left the club.

On 15/07/2016 at 22:38, CountyFan said:

And there goes the best player to ever wear the County shirt. 

You'll find another diamond in the rough and train him up. Wouldn't worry about it. 

On 16/07/2016 at 15:59, Savage Henry said:

It may be a mistake, but Brian Graham seems have 19, rather than 9, which would be somewhat indicative, I think. if true.

Indicative of what? Absolute nonsense - Graham comes on to score and secure a win for us (not for the first time). I'm unsure why people are so infatuated with him leaving..... Give up!

Ian McShane was number 8 last season and played as 18 on Saturday.... I guess he's packing his bags too?

Edited by StoneThrowAway

Is SH not suggesting that it is indicative of Graham not being the first-choice striker, rather than being punted?  Roy did hint at the end-of-season Q&A that they were looking for a big centre-forward, so the #9 shirt could be a lure for that.

Irvine had 36 when he first came after the start of the season, post-Adams.  It's fair to say he is an idiosyncratic character, so maybe he felt keeping that number helped his image.

McShane will have 18 now because this is Woods's first time starting a season with the club.  I think that could be indicative of the senior player pulling rank.

None of that explains why Quinn will be - I'm guessing - 13, 14, something in the 20s or 44 again.

Edited by bunglebonce

4 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Do players really care that much about their shirt number? I suppose Zamorano did famously wear 1+8 after Ronaldo took the 9 shirt from him at Inter. Still a bit goofy.

An ex-manager told me a couple of years ago that some players get caught up in it and others don't.  He had seen strikers not want to wear 9 because of the expectation (although I don't think that's the case with Graham here - he seems to be the leading penalty taker at the club).

Indicative of what? Absolute nonsense - Graham comes on to score and secure a win for us (not for the first time). I'm unsure why people are so infatuated with him leaving..... Give up!

Ian McShane was number 8 last season and played as 18 on Saturday.... I guess he's packing his bags too?

Learn to read and then get back to me.

Is SH not suggesting that it is indicative of Graham not being the first-choice striker, rather than being punted?  Roy did hint at the end-of-season Q&A that they were looking for a big centre-forward, so the #9 shirt could be a lure for that.

Irvine had 36 when he first came after the start of the season, post-Adams.  It's fair to say he is an idiosyncratic character, so maybe he felt keeping that number helped his image.

McShane will have 18 now because this is Woods's first time starting a season with the club.  I think that could be indicative of the senior player pulling rank.

None of that explains why Quinn will be - I'm guessing - 13, 14, something in the 20s or 44 again.

Correct. Nobody having the 9 shirt is indicative of a new signing. Unless Quinn gets it. Was he not 43 last season?

The point of course is that people enjoy reading way too much into these things.

I'm with Savage on this.  It's telling Graham turned out in 19 when he was 9 last season.  Suggests there's a striker to come in, and Graham isn't viewed as a first pick (which we knew anyway).  Cikos wearing 3 is going to be irritating.

On 18/07/2016 at 15:29, Skyline Drifter said:

18 was McShane's shirt number with us. He may have chosen to go back to it deliberately?

I found the transcript from the conversation that this article was based on.

It wasn't so important.  I always liked 7.  At Caley the year before that Pele put me up front and I had the 9 jersey and had a run of about 12 goals in 12, around the time we beat Celtic, scoring on both sides of the Millenium and all that nonsense.  Some strikers don't like 9, they think it's too much pressure, so I took it on and I had nine of the last ten games as a number 9.  Alex Burns liked 10, Bingy liked 10, it has something attached to it, like with Maradona etc.  But people get stuck to their numbers.  When we got to the SPL and had to change over to squad numbers, that was fun, with people not getting the numbers.  You would get three choices: what would you want, what would you prefer if you didn't get it and what you would get if you weren't much in the manager's plans, you knew where you stood!

Maybe McShane got a first and second choice if the same kind of protocol applies here - I'm sure that if Woods wanted 8 he would be first in line for it.

Our Darren Brownlie is still with us in case there was any doubt (couple of quotes a couple of pages back).

That is really confusing, because the Rangers youth website had the same DOB for him as the Wiki entry for the QotS player.