The General Ross County Chat Thread

Couldn't make the game today. Disappointed at the result in the end and by the way we played going by the match reports.  Expecting some first team signings next week, a winger and a decent central midfielder. 

Poor again today. I'm a little worried now. Van der Weg is miles off the pace at fullback. I suspect if we can get a winger in then foster will revert to fullback, that would help a lot. 

We played some nice stuff at times today but there was a real lack of energy and urgency. The loss of Irvine is going to be keenly felt if we can't replace his work rate, never mind his skill. 

Schalk and Graham look a better two at this point than Curran and Boyce, but the former is only just back from a long lay-off and the latter always takes a few games to get going so I'm not too concerned about that. The issues in this team are in centre mid primarily and if we go into the season with McShane and woods as the primary options then we will be in some bother I reckon. 

Shout out to the ref for possibly the worst performance ever seen in Dingwall, and that's fucking saying something. 

I have to admit yes Irvine was a massive miss as everyone I'm sure will agree but when Routis came on at half time I thought he made an absolutely massive difference. He put himself about and flew into tackles like you would want from a sitting midfielder, some his balls through to the forwards were pretty bloody good too!

He may not be an exact replacement for Jackson Irvine but for me he certainly looked really comfortable on the ball and composed in the tackle enough to prove a decent signing.

The problem with the new set up is that there isn't a pre-season as such. In earlier years we outdoor have been away to Nairn or Elgin in meaningless fixtures where we could give players game time and try out different combinations. We don't have that luxury now.

Having said that, based on today's performance, I would have Graham up front instead of Boyce. I'm relatively happy with the back four but they need more game time. Depending on the opponents I would have Curran starting when we expect to be under pressure and Schalk when we expect to have some dominance.

Central midfield is a problem. I see potential in McShane but none in Woods. I know others will defend him. I realise he has skill but his attitude and commitment is the problem. Two examples. Cikos lost possession about 30 yards out. Woods was nearby but made no effort  to follow the player in, Cikos gave him pelters. Foster had the ball, Woods was close by asking for the pass. Foster played a nice oasis along the 18 yard line. Woods stood complaining about the pass rather than get into a position to help.

Routis may help, but 20 minutes isn't enough to give any real idea. I suspect we may be harder to beat, but less likely to win which suggests bottom six.

Hahaha a new season and here we go again... 

I'd like to see Graham start some more matches, maybe alongside Curran for a change. Craig was so helpful in a majority of Liam's goals I'm sure he could be just as beneficial to Brian Graham too.

I think the reality is that we are blessed with four first choice strikers, imo each are the best we have ever seen at Victoria Park, the manager has a real job on his hands keeping them all happy, and if we still have all four once the transfer window has closed I'll be very happy. 

Also nice to see Martin Woods being rewarded with the captains armband (until he was kicked off the pitch and subbed at ht)

Keep the haters hating Martin! 

16 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Hahaha a new season and here we go again... 

I'd like to see Graham start some more matches, maybe alongside Curran for a change. Craig was so helpful in a majority of Liam's goals I'm sure he could be just as beneficial to Brian Graham too.

I think the reality is that we are blessed with four first choice strikers, imo each are the best we have ever seen at Victoria Park, the manager has a real job on his hands keeping them all happy, and if we still have all four once the transfer window has closed I'll be very happy. 

Also nice to see Martin Woods being rewarded with the captains armband (until he was kicked off the pitch and subbed at ht)

Nobody is hating, they are asking legitimate questions about his capabilities as a footballer. 

FWIW I think he's much better than he's given credit for but if we start the season with Woods and McShane starting we are in trouble. They are not an effective partnership regardless of their own individual traits and talents. 

2 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

The only part of Martin Woods I hate is his set pieces. He definitely gets more stick than he deserves but at the same time, god we're stuffed without Jackson in midfield.

Though it's still pre-season despite the competitive games so I'm not going to get carried away. If we've still not found a way to replace him by October (probably more by changing how we play than by finding a new Jackson Irvine), then I'll start to panic.

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Nobody is hating, they are asking legitimate questions about his capabilities as a footballer. 

FWIW I think he's much better than he's given credit for but if we start the season with Woods and McShane starting we are in trouble. They are not an effective partnership regardless of their own individual traits and talents. 

I agree with you Countyfan I wasn't referring to you or your post as being haters, just that it amazes me how angry some in the East Stand get to ALL things Martin Woods, it might be amusing if it wasn't abuse.

What's your thoughts on my comment on all all four of our strikers being first teamers and probably the best we've ever had?

4 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I agree with you Countyfan I wasn't referring to you or your post as being haters, just that it amazes me how angry some in the East Stand get to ALL things Martin Woods, it might be amusing if it wasn't abuse.

What's your thoughts on my comment on all all four of our strikers being first teamers and probably the best we've ever had?

I agree with you. The squad is definitely top-heavy. I might have the wolf in my top 5 too but that might be pure nostalgia, I'm not sure we saw enough of him to say he was better than any of the four we have at the moment. 

Speaking of the east stand, I sat there yesterday for the first time in ages and the old codgers in there are even worse than in the jailend. There were folks screaming at the team and shouting that it wasn't good enough fully 16 minutes into the first competitive home game of the season. I don't know why they bother coming to the game. 

The build up to the Raith Rovers goal has really been bothering me.

Maybe it's fair enough that Boyce lets Vaughan go, but the central midfielders shouldn't.  I say shouldn't, but I think that's actually the system: it's man for man across the park, so as Vaugham is the centre-forward then he's not going to be picked up until he gets near the defenders. Which, in this case, dragged McEveley and nearly Robertson out of position and allowed the defence to be turned (Cikos should have cleared it but that's the gamble when a defender has to clear a cross facing his own goal).

Why did Vaughan get so much space?  It wasn't the only time during the match but was the crucial moment of it.

Is it the system that is too rigid in its marking, or are the midfielders just not applying common sense or not taking responsibility, to pick up a forward running off them?  Here, the midfielders don't even look.  

In either event, I can't bear watching central midfielders just let a forward run past them from deep.  It causes the team so much bother sometimes, particularly when all of the centre-backs are on the wrong side of 30 and are exposed to midfielders or forwards running at them.

If Greg Stewart is going to get a free role for Dundee again like he did at Dens, the first league match might not be pretty.

Edited by bunglebonce
Don't get me started on the hop

Interesting footage. Earlier I posted about Woods reacting the same way when Cikos lost possession. It's is a problem and although I singled out Woods I accept McShane was also guilty. I picked out Woods, not because I'm a hater, but because I saw the same thing last season and he's our first pick mid-fielder. 

I'm not sure what's up with Boyce. When he was on fire at the beginning of last season I think he would have followed him back. To me he looks disinterested and I'd start with Graham.

This has been one of my biggest gripes with Woods for a while now. There's no interest in doing the hard work defensively and you've got to question someone with that attitude being made captain for the day (until he got injured). McShane can certainly be guilty of it fairly often too.

Re: Boyce, I'd agree that he needs dropped for the start of the season. Perhaps playing him regardless of his form at the tail end of last season hasn't done him any favours. Graham deserves the chance to lead the line.

From today's P&J 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/spo...line-1824/?

How Christopher Routis will fill the void left by Jackson Irvine
Ross County midfielder Christopher Routis has set his sights on filling the void left by recently-departed Jackson Irvine and ultimately follow him in moving to a higher level.

Frenchman Routis joined County from Bradford City this summer, ending a two-year stint with the English League 1 side, having previously played for Swiss club Servette.
County are light in midfield after Australian international Irvine’s £300,000 move to English Championship side Burton Albion, giving Routis the chance to cement his place in the middle of the park.
The 26-year-old is likely to start tonight’s Betfred Cup tie against Alloa Athletic, with Martin Woods sidelined by a knee injury picked up in Saturday’s game against Raith Rovers.
Routis is determined to make the most of his opportunity and said: “That’s why I came here. Like all of the players in the squad, I want to play every game, start every game.
“Jackson is a very good player. I saw that when I joined training here and in the friendly games. Now he has moved to the English Championship, so that provides an opportunity for me to take his position.
“I need to work hard now and prove myself.
“I came here aspiring to play every game. I hope to have a big season and have a carrot at the end, like Jackson.
“That’s what Jackson did – he performed very well and earned his move.
“I’m really happy to be here but, like every player, I want to play at the highest possible level. We are in the top league in Scotland and it’s good. But I want to play at a higher level. I need to prove I can play here first and, after that, I expect more.”
Routis missed the early part of pre-season after picking up a calf injury on the first day of training but has now worked his way back to fitness and replaced Woods for the second-half of Saturday’s match against Raith.
He is pleased to have overcome the early setback, and added: “The injury was a really bad start for me and my head was down a little bit. But I knew I had time to recover and I worked hard on my own. Now I feel part of the group.
“I played 30 minutes in Budapest and I played 45 minutes in Saturday’s game. Like everyone, I need minutes on the pitch, but since we came back from Hungary I have put in extra work on my own after training to catch up with the other players.
“I am starting to feel better and better physically and I think I’m ready to play, although I know I’ll feel better after a couple of games.”

Woods is out injured after that bad tackle against raith. Routis & McShane it is then :unsure2:

Christ, the Woods bettering has started early this season! One thing you cannot say about Woods is that he hides in games. He may give the ball away at times but at least he's always there to receive it. This cannot be said about MacShane. He should have been hooked when he got that stupid booking and no one can argue that he was completely anonymous in the second half. I'm obviously in the minority here but in my humble opinion our midfield is significantly stronger with Woods playing before MacShane

Well, a very attacking looking lineup, if completely imbalanced, against Alloa.  Boyce, Schalk and Graham all starting.  It looks like a 3-4-3, but in reality it could be a back 4 just as easily.

Needless to say, these group games are glorified pre-season friendlies.  I think it's an excellent idea, but there should be more subs permitted.

Edited by Savage Henry