The General Ross County Chat Thread

We are in grave danger of relegation if we don't bring in anymore players.
The Chairman has promised a winger central midfielder and centre forward before window shuts.
I was told today that three of the current squad have been told they are free to find new clubs (Possibly Robertson / Boyd / Franks)

We do have wingers in Gardyne, Franks and arguably Dingwall. Also Foster plays wide left, but none of these is genuinely left-footed. Gardyne the most 2-footed. We also have young Mclaughlin at Left Back or wide left.

We'll manage. But yes, we'll need Routis, Woods and McShane to consistently do well in the middle.

From what I've heard, the 3 that could be going are Boyd (but only if Roy will let it happen during his testimonial year - which he already said no to preseason), Foster & surprisingly Cikos. Both Foster & Cikos have become embroiled in the Jim v Boyd issue. The Boyd & Foster bits come from someone I trust, the Cikos bit has come from a bit of speculation elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, Spain said:

It's all very reminiscent of the end of Adams' tenure. If we have a bad first few games... I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Roy swing the axe.

Roy has shown before that if things aren't right, he won't be shy in making a swift change.  He's sacked early three times: Dick, Willie and Del.  Each time for what proved to be positive outcomes.

I've been surprised that Cikos hasn't been in the squad since the Raith Rovers game.  I put it down to moving to a back three.

ETA: From a football perspective, Boyd is still a fine back-up, as his performance against Aberdeen at the end of last season showed.  But there are simply too many defenders in the first team squad and someone has to go.  I can see why Roy wouldn't want Boyd to go yet.  And while I have no idea what Cikos is like as a person, Boyd is his only link to the previous time at the club and I can see why he would stick up for his pal [but all of this is of course speculation].

Edited by bunglebonce

14 hours ago, Spain said:

No more players unless we lose some big earners. Our budget's spent (and then some) I'm afraid. Davies staying is probably bad news on that front. We needed that money.

Cant believe that.  The sale of Jackson alone would surely free up some funds.  Getting a bit concerned with how the squad is shaping up, we look very light in CM and in the wide positions.

Edited to add, whats the craic with this "Jim v Boyd" issue, have I missed something?

Edited by tintax

46 minutes ago, tintax said:

Cant believe that.  The sale of Jackson alone would surely free up some funds.  Getting a bit concerned with how the squad is shaping up, we look very light in CM and in the wide positions.

Edited to add, whats the craic with this "Jim v Boyd" issue, have I missed something?

Davies staying isn't good, I'd rather we gave Fraser playing time at right side of central defence (Quinn centre, McEveley left). It would add some pace and help develop Fraser.

I'd encourage Davies to find a new club, he was voted into the Premiership team of the year for God sake, surely his agent can find him somewhere in the north of England! 

I'd have no regrets with letting Roberton Boyd Dingwall or Franks go. All three are squad players at best. Obviously Dingwall or Franks leaving would heighten our need for more width.

I'd be annoyed if Cikos or Foster were forced out as a result of Davies staying. 

I like Boyd as a chap, but no room for sentiment and Roy should know that in business. 

We NEED another central and wide midfielder! 

Edited by frankthetank22

If Cikos leaves (given he's filled the Jackson shaped hole in my heart) then I'll make it my sole mission in life to hound McIntyre out of the club.

Has Roy still got Sergio Lobera's number?

10 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I assume the issues between Boyd and McIntyre existed before Cikos agreed to return, so it seems a bit strange that he has fallen out with McIntyre so quickly.

It's escalated since Budapest. Apparently Boyd isn't allowed to train with either the senior or development squads and is made to train alone.

Edited by Spain

4 minutes ago, Nizzy said:

We're still in the market for a centre half. What's your honest assessment of Boyd's capabilities?

Reads the game well. Used to be quick across 10 yards, which is fading.  He's filled out a lot in the last few years but he can get outmuscled in the air by target men.  Prone to a floaty long ball that gets gobbled up by opponent defenders, but has worked on his passing a lot in the last couple of years.  Plays his best football beside a rugged centre-half.

Better than Balatoni, but not by a huge margin.  IMO.

Edited by bunglebonce

4 minutes ago, Spain said:

It's escalated since Budapest. Apparently Boyd isn't allowed to train with either the senior or development squads and is made to train alone.

Is someone trouble making here, Boyd left the training camp in Budapest early due to the premature birth of his daughter.  

I was led to believe he's been on leave to spend time with his family at this important time, therefore it makes sense that he's training by himself at different times of the day.

Just now, bunglebonce said:

Reads the game well. Used to be quick across 10 yards, which is fading.  He's filled out a lot in the last few years but he can get outmuscled in the air by target men.  Prone to a floaty long ball that gets gobbled up by opponent defenders, but has worked on his passing a lot in the last couple of years.

Better than Balatoni, but not by a huge margin.  IMO.

Cheers. Am I right in thinking he's a left-sided CB?