The General Ross County Chat Thread

Ah well that would place him about where I thought he was to be honest.  Probably I was thinking he was a bit worse than he actually is.  Although I imagine he makes plenty of very good saves which should lead to goals, to counter his bad faults.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

What is the brand?  There isn't much of a strategy anymore.  Lots of energy in midfield that goes nowhere.

Who knows.  I don't even think the management team know, constantly changing the personnel and the tactics.  It's obvious he has no idea what his strongest starting 11 is or how best to set us up. 

42 minutes ago, tintax said:

Who knows.  I don't even think the management team know, constantly changing the personnel and the tactics.  It's obvious he has no idea what his strongest starting 11 is or how best to set us up. 

For the longest time, County would only ever play 4-3-3.  Then he shifted to 4-4-2, where the team clearly played their best.  Now he jumps between formations - usually 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 this season.  I'm all for flexibility, but it seems like the constant changing doesn't help the team gel.  His love affair for Tim Chow is faintly bewildering, if that's possible.  

Scott Fox was signed for his ball playing abilities, as much for his shot stopping ones.  For ten years we didn't have a keeper who could kick the ball past the half way line, let along trap a ball.  Yeah, it's a horrible mistake, but every single keeper will make one just as bad,  It just happened to be high profile.  He'll get over it.  

Edited to add: I'm not sure what point that graph is trying to make, but advanced stats in football are a completely contrived nonsense.  One day Jonathan Wilson read Moneyball and decided to apply it to football.  And now every blogger and his dog thinks he/she can do the same.  Football isn't baseball (and Moneyball has pretty much been discredited, anyway).

Edited by Savage Henry

As a fan of his writing, I don't know when Jonathan Wilson has ever used advanced stats.  He's big on tactics and strategy but that's a different thing entirely.  ETA I've seen him write about players talking about the number of goals from shots, key dribbles etc but those aren't nebulous concepts like expected goals and saves.

Edited by bunglebonce

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Edited to add: I'm not sure what point that graph is trying to make, but advanced stats in football are a completely contrived nonsense.  One day Jonathan Wilson read Moneyball and decided to apply it to football.  And now every blogger and his dog thinks he/she can do the same.  Football isn't baseball (and Moneyball has pretty much been discredited, anyway).

I see you moaning about these kinds of writers, especially Wilson & Michael Cox, & it always leaves me wondering if you've ever actually read anything they write coz they don't write about "advanced stats in football". Chatter about tactics is not stats talk. Sure, there's some stats analysis in it, but there is literally nobody in mainstream football writing that approaches the tragic maths obsession of baseball. And certainly not the way you seem to imagine they do it.

I think the only two real flaws in Fox is he loves to think he's Cryuff with the ball at his feet and he is- but it's Jordi, not Johan.

He also seems slow to get down to low shots that go for the front post, have vague memories of him being done at the near post occasionally. Other than that's he generally good. Best keeper I've seen in a County shirt- even if Big Mick is probably a level above him now since he left and went south.

Ach no, can't agree with that. McGovern was so fucking good. Losing him to Falkirk was a huge gutter. He's definitely the best keeper I've seen at County. Though I always had an inflated opinion of Nicky Walker so f**k do I know?

30 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Ach no, can't agree with that. McGovern was so fucking good. Losing him to Falkirk was a huge gutter. He's definitely the best keeper I've seen at County. Though I always had an inflated opinion of Nicky Walker so f**k do I know?

I hated losing him as well.

He seemed to have issues with coming for high balls. I also thought Walker was pretty decent. Better than the likes of Soutar, anyway.

September games are, needless to say, massive for County and JM in particular. Leaving aside Scott Fox's aberration on Sunday the defence is the least of our worries for me - there are much worse in the league. The midfield seems to be a complete f**k up on all counts , defensively and offensively. Much as the boy Lindsay has potential JM is letting the boy's confidence be crushed weekly, if we brought Draper for a purpose can we deploy it, Dow cannot compete at this level unless played wide in a forward role, Chow is functional without any dynamic influence . As it stands JOB and Midge have centre stage and the jury needs Routis to come forward with evidence. It looks a mess and I sincerely hope it can be rectified as we are currently expecting our midfielders to score from 43.5 yards. 

Whilst I am far from convinced by our options up front it strikes me that our most immediate concern is getting a coherent, established midfield PDQ. I do think it it exists within the squad and hopefully the management team will mine it.

2 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

Whilst I am far from convinced by our options up front it strikes me that our most immediate concern is getting a coherent, established midfield PDQ. I do think it it exists within the squad and hopefully the management team will mine it.

Thought you were asking for a midfield Paul Di Giacomo for a minute there, got confused.

8 hours ago, forkboy said:

McGovern, Bullock and Walker are my top three keepers for County.  Daisy Ross just behind them.

7 hours ago, Loki said:

McGovern, Bullock and Walker are my top three keepers for County.  Daisy Ross just behind them.

Let's play who was the worst County keeper.  My word, we've seen some terrible keepers in our time.

My top three: 
Dave Cormack, Colin Stewart and Allan Creer.

Edited by Savage Henry

53 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

Mickey Ure criminally omitted

I don't remember him playing very much.

59 minutes ago, Spain said:

There's no competition here. It's Allan Creer by quite some distance.

Right.  I deducted points for only playing four games, and also for deliberately chopping his fingers off at work - thus improving his ability immensely.

Allan Creer is the worst player in any position I've seen playing for County. I still have nightmares of that 4-2 defeat at home to Ayr.

Creer......dear god, he had a decent game away to Peterhead (1-1 draw I think) where everything was hit directly at him, even I, the short dwarf that I am, would have been able to do just as well.  My brother said I was being too harsh on Creer who I had previously described as being, "a truly horrific, accident prone keeper" and considering I am a truly horrific, accident prone keeper, I knew what I was talking about.

I hated being proved correct in the midweek game a couple days later where we lost 4-1 to Cowdenbeath and then 4-2 to Ayr the following week, Creer being at fault for at least 6 of the 8 goal combined.  

And Jimbo's presser today suggests there won't be any new players during this window.

Gardyne, Dow and Keillor-Dunn the only wide midfielders in the squad.

Maybe he'll sign another winger outside the window?  Please?

ETA: Six weeks ago Jimbo was in the press saying that he was wanting a winger and midifelder to complete the squad.  Draper has been brought in since but we still really need a winger.

Edited by bunglebonce