The General Ross County Chat Thread

I would say useless but that would be a massive improvement. I didn’t agree with what was happening under JM and BD but they could at least see the negatives in our performances instead of the continual “Oh yes we played better than them”. If we are to get rid though in struggling to see who we could realistically get for cheap that will do better

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Genuine thoughts on Coyle?

Seems like he’s fucking clueless, Willie McStay levels of pish. There’s abolsutely no urgency in our play, everything’s 6-7 touches, then a pass back to the keeper to punt it up the pitch. Folk on OTB suggesting that he’s on a shoogley peg. However, I can’t see Roy letting him buy a few of his own players, to then punt him so shortly afterwards. 

Honestly have no idea who we’d get in either.

Edited by Staggie_93

Seems like he’s fucking clueless, Willie McStay levels of pish. There’s abolsutely no urgency in our play, everything’s 6-7 touches, then a pass back to the keeper to punt it up the pitch. Folk on OTB suggesting that he’s on a shoogley peg. However, I can’t see Roy letting him buy a few of his own players, to then punt him so shortly afterwards. 
Honestly have no idea who we’d get in either.

Every pattern of play was the same today. Playing backwards until it got to the centre backs who would play about with it before hoafing it up to Curran (whom, as much I want to do well, is nowhere near up to scratch at the moment), he would lose the header and Rangers regain possession.

Truthfully I'm struggling to see County staying up with Owen Coyle in charge. You'll probably beat us midweek but I'll be honest, he's tactically clueless, he cannot organise a defence and this has always been the same. It happens time and time again with every club he goes to, and while JM was struggling big time, Uncle Roy bought into Coyle's rhetoric rather than examining his previous jobs and realising he's a chump.

Truthfully I'm struggling to see County staying up with Owen Coyle in charge. You'll probably beat us midweek but I'll be honest, he's tactically clueless, he cannot organise a defence and this has always been the same. It happens time and time again with every club he goes to, and while JM was struggling big time, Uncle Roy bought into Coyle's rhetoric rather than examining his previous jobs and realising he's a chump.

This, minus the “you’ll probably beat us midweek” bit, we’ll start the game after 80 minutes. By which time we’re already 2/3-0 down. Everything else spot on, nonetheless.

13 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Terrible.  I see no game plan whatsoever when I'm watching County.  The players just dont look like they know what they are doing.   Passing aimlessly to each other at the back before lumping it to the sides or upfront.   Whats the point in putting 5 in the middle of the park if we are just going to bypass the midfield altogether?   He wasnt the only one but Kenny was dreadful on Sunday,  mistake after mistake.  A new LB is top priority. 

14 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Worried.

In particular, we do not look a well-drilled team and he still doesn't seem to know the best roles for our players.

The squad inherited from McIntyre was an imbalanced mess, and I'd argue he's done well to improve that.  But he doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of that squad.

A couple of flashes of a decent team, and a fair few hard luck stories lately - every game we seem to have at least one howling individual or refereeing error which costs us a goal (either for us or against us).  If we can pull out a solid 90 minutes and not be subject to individual / refereeing errors, hopefully that'll spark some confidence and a run.

But in the main - worried.

I watched the game yesterday, interested to see how Rangers looked with their new signings and how County would fare with their new signings.  I thought County were awful, especially in the first half.  Rangers played through the middle easily time after time, and Draper, who I was looking out for this being the first game that I've seen him in since his move, was anonymous.  He seemed to be played a bit further forward, Hughes and Foran sometimes did that but I thought it wasted him, he's best playing deeper in midfield, especially in a game where you are going to be defending a lot.  County had zero up front, I assume Ngog wasn't fit he did more in the ten minutes he got than Curran did the entire game, although he didn't have much service.  As mentioned elsewhere, it's odd that you played with one up front but four strikers on the bench?  Also, where is Tansey, injured?

The average points required for an 11th place finish in the Premiership in the last five seasons is 36.  To get that County will realistically need to win five and draw four of their remaining games, a tall order.  I do think the split always helps in these situations as you can end up using that to peg your rivals back and sometimes get games against teams who have nothign to play for - we were utter horseshit last season but won three of our last four and went into the final day with the chance of getting 11th, really because we played two teams with nothing to play for in our final matches.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I watched the game yesterday, interested to see how Rangers looked with their new signings and how County would fare with their new signings.  I thought County were awful, especially in the first half.  Rangers played through the middle easily time after time, and Draper, who I was looking out for this being the first game that I've seen him in since his move, was anonymous.  He seemed to be played a bit further forward, Hughes and Foran sometimes did that but I thought it wasted him, he's best playing deeper in midfield, especially in a game where you are going to be defending a lot.  County had zero up front, I assume Ngog wasn't fit he did more in the ten minutes he got than Curran did the entire game, although he didn't have much service.  As mentioned elsewhere, it's odd that you played with one up front but four strikers on the bench?  Also, where is Tansey, injured?

The average points required for an 11th place finish in the Premiership in the last five seasons is 36.  To get that County will realistically need to win five and draw four of their remaining games, a tall order.  I do think the split always helps in these situations as you can end up using that to peg your rivals back and sometimes get games against teams who have nothign to play for - we were utter horseshit last season but won three of our last four and went into the final day with the chance of getting 11th, really because we played two teams with nothing to play for in our final matches.

Aye, Tansey is injured, coming back from a hernia op I think?

1 hour ago, dingdong1929 said:

Worried.

In particular, we do not look a well-drilled team and he still doesn't seem to know the best roles for our players.

The squad inherited from McIntyre was an imbalanced mess, and I'd argue he's done well to improve that.  But he doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of that squad.

A couple of flashes of a decent team, and a fair few hard luck stories lately - every game we seem to have at least one howling individual or refereeing error which costs us a goal (either for us or against us).  If we can pull out a solid 90 minutes and not be subject to individual / refereeing errors, hopefully that'll spark some confidence and a run.

But in the main - worried.

The subs bench against Rangers would suggest otherwise.

37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Draper, who I was looking out for this being the first game that I've seen him in since his move, was anonymous.  He seemed to be played a bit further forward, Hughes and Foran sometimes did that but I thought it wasted him, he's best playing deeper in midfield, especially in a game where you are going to be defending a lot.    Also, where is Tansey, injured?

McIntyre was trying to use Draper as a box-to-box midfielder as well.  I'd much rather him sit in front of the defence.  Coyle prefers someone who can switch the play from there, which is why Tansey was brought in and we'll have to hope Draper's form improves further forward.

County had zero up front, I assume Ngog wasn't fit he did more in the ten minutes he got than Curran did the entire game, although he didn't have much service.

Curran has been Coyle's go-to guy for the lone striker role until the January window.  Curran just isn't big enough, quick enough, nor technically good enough to play as a sole forward in the top flight, but he follows tactical detail and works hard. 

Ngog hasn't played for the best part of two years and these have been his first two sub appearances since a cruciate ligament injury.  I think he's looking sharper than I expected - he might not start this Wednesday nor Saturday, but by the following round of fixtures he'll be a certain starter until the end of the season.

We need him, too.  Just for the fact that the ball could stick with him the team can push 10-15 yards up the pitch, he can bring the wingers into play and just maybe some clear-cut chances will be made at some point.  There needs to be an improvement from the wide forwards, however, because Gardyne doesn't have the legs anymore and DKD needs another 40 games' experience to be at the level we need.

Tansey will be due to play in a fortnight.

I do think the split always helps in these situations as you can end up using that to peg your rivals back and sometimes get games against teams who have nothign to play for - we were utter horseshit last season but won three of our last four and went into the final day with the chance of getting 11th, really because we played two teams with nothing to play for in our final matches.

I'm fully confident that 11th will keep us up, because the County side that ends the season will have the height, strength and (in some areas) pace that most Championship teams won't be able to compete with - that has made a big difference in recent years.

I'm hoping 11th is achievable, County still need to play nearly all of the bottom 7 two times each yet.  A little momentum in February could make a big difference and I'm fairly confident that the signings willl have the impact needed to pick up two or three wins before the split.

Coyle is a diddy though and that is a concern.  It was the right time for McIntyre to go IMO, but standards have dropped in terms of how the team is drilled.  The amateurish mistakes that have led to goals in each of the last four league matches are not a direct result of Coyle's management, but they're surely the symptom of an underlying problem.

Edited by bunglebonce

16 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The subs bench against Rangers would suggest otherwise.

Improved, not fixed.

We've now got another option wide in Eagles (when fit), some presence up front in Effiong and N'Gog, Tansey in midfield who (once fit) can hopefully be the ball-player we need in there, and another CB who can challenge for headers {enter OG joke here}.
Obviously too many strikers, but thats the least of our problems just now.

Still shite down the left, and a worrying lack of pace out wide.
Change in formation could maybe accommodate that, and otherwise a decent squad, but as stated earlier - Coyle doesn't seem to be able to make the most of that.

Edited by dingdong1929