The General Ross County Chat Thread

21 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Does it really matter anymore.

I don't believe that.  The team in Feb is going to be different to Dec + Jan.  Tansey will come in, Kait will be on one of the wings, Ngog will be starting, the back four looks good enough already IMO.  The team will be a lot more competitive.  I'm still hopeful the added quality will be enough to compensate for having a diddy coach on the sideline.

Edited by bunglebonce

35 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I don't believe that.  The team in Feb is going to be different to Dec + Jan.  Tansey will come in, Kait will be on one of the wings, Ngog will be starting, the back four looks good enough already IMO.  The team will be a lot more competitive.  I'm still hopeful the added quality will be enough to compensate for having a diddy coach on the sideline.

I’m hopeful too, wish I could be confident rather than just hopeful but time will tell.

In all this doom and gloom I feel sorry for Harry Souttar. We should be celebrating his performances. Deserved another man of the match last night to follow Sunday’s.  It’s not just what he does with the ball, he spends a lot of time organising the defence, free kicks etc. A very impressive young man as far as I’m concerned.

I thought we had the core of a decent squad with some huge gaps, and now think we have a really decent squad with quality and/or cover in most positions - that's arguably largely thanks to Coyle.

The team selections haven't been too out there, no obvious mental shouts like we'd get with Jimmy Mc (Tumilty right wing, Dow wingback, Boyce midfield, etc.) - but a lot of annoyances like Draper's role in centre mid not suiting him, not enough protection on the left flank, no idea what his best XI is, etc.

My biggest concern is, it is years since we looked so poorly drilled and lost on the pitch; the coaching and preparation through the week must be appalling, especially tactically.

Hamilton look to be falling apart just now; I'm interested to see how Dundee cope without Scott Allan and Jack Hendry; if Partick get a few injuries or similar they may rediscover early season's poor form; basically, other teams may fall.  

Plus, we have been before as a club.

But I think that anything positive we achieve will be down to the players, and in spite of Coyle's abilities as a coach and tactician.

Dundee on Saturday will be a decent marker.

Edited by dingdong1929

When Dundee beat us in Dingwall they used the 3-4-2-1 that is trendy in England and Coyle, naturally, didn't have a scooby do what to do about it.

With the squad that Coyle has put together I think that might actually be the best shape to suit the best players, as long as Melbourne and Kait are up to much - I'm confident about the latter but know nothing about the former.

Fox

Fraser Souttar Fontaine

Naismith Draper Tansey Melbourne

Eagles ----------- Kait

Ngog

It would put less defensive responsibility on Eagles, because that's a disaster waiting to happen again.

It would deal with the issue of lack of natural width, with the wing-backs able to link with the attacking midfielders.

I'd be loathe to bench Gardyne and Schalk who are some of the few with the spirit to get us out of the mess.  Gardyne would suit that role that is marked for Eagles. 

It's all hypothetical, because we'll end up continuing with 4-3-3 with no width and just have to make the best of it.

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

When Dundee beat us in Dingwall they used the 3-4-2-1 that is trendy in England and Coyle, naturally, didn't have a scooby do what to do about it.

With the squad that Coyle has put together I think that might actually be the best shape to suit the best players, as long as Melbourne and Kait are up to much - I'm confident about the latter but know nothing about the former.

Fox

Fraser Souttar Fontaine

Naismith Draper Tansey Melbourne

Eagles ----------- Kait

Ngog

It would put less defensive responsibility on Eagles, because that's a disaster waiting to happen again.

It would deal with the issue of lack of natural width, with the wing-backs able to link with the attacking midfielders.

I'd be loathe to bench Gardyne and Schalk who are some of the few with the spirit to get us out of the mess.  Gardyne would suit that role that is marked for Eagles. 

It's all hypothetical, because we'll end up continuing with 4-3-3 with no width and just have to make the best of it.

Dont know if you saw the "What our Best XI" thread on OTB, but thats exactly what I was going for (the formation, we hadnt signed some of those players when I picked the team).

Seems obvious to me, for all the reasons you gave, even that vandetta nutter went for the same system.

But aye, all hypothetical as we'll continue with an exposed back 4, a midfield on the back foot, and a frontline/lone striker starved of service.  

56 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

I’m hopeful too, wish I could be confident rather than just hopeful but time will tell.

In all this doom and gloom I feel sorry for Harry Souttar. We should be celebrating his performances. Deserved another man of the match last night to follow Sunday’s.  It’s not just what he does with the ball, he spends a lot of time organising the defence, free kicks etc. A very impressive young man as far as I’m concerned.

I hope it's not like watching Lee Wilkie when he played for us briefly, was head and shoulders above the rest of the side in the few games he played.

Sitting last night ranting about Effiong being unable to win a header, despite being one of the tallest on the pitch, cue him being in the middle of the pitch completely unmarked with the ball in the air. He goes to head it and completely missed the ball - I hope he doesn't start another match for us!

Draper - don't know where to start really. Thought he was going to be exactly what we needed....how wrong I was! Dread to think how much we are paying him!

On a positive note last night - thank you to whoever gave me and my old man free tickets whilst we were waiting to buy some. Glad I didn't pay to watch that last night!

I think we have some brilliant players now, it's a case of Coyle sorting out the positions and/or leaving them just to play!

This must be the most expensive squad in our history - hopefully we can turn this around!

Souttar - outstanding player who looks like he will go far. Best player on the park by miles in the last few games.

Will Fox start on Saturday???

A little disappointed Kenny's gone. Gave his all and was a nutter, but has been badly out of sorts recently. I'd still have him at LB over Kelly any day of the week.

Not fussed about Kenny going at all. One of the weakest links in our team and only marginally better than Kelly anyway. He also only came back to us this year because the better offers he was expecting failed to come to anything so it's not as if he was a loyal servant we're dunting. Don't understand why anyone would be that fussed about this move.

Not fussed about Kenny going at all. One of the weakest links in our team and only marginally better than Kelly anyway. He also only came back to us this year because the better offers he was expecting failed to come to anything so it's not as if he was a loyal servant we're dunting. Don't understand why anyone would be that fussed about this move.

He was probably the strongest player I’ve ever seen for County, and you knew he’d back up a teammate in a kafuffle. He got that Hamilton loonball to go off his chops.

But yeah, not a great player.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

He's cult.

Edited by dingdong1929