The General Ross County Chat Thread

11 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Never heard of either. Risking sounding overly negative, but these signings fill me with 0 confidence/excitement…

Ayina played on the right of the back-three for United against County, in the post-split match last season. I know Jordan White scored a hat-trick of tap-ins against them, but I thought Ayina looked very good then, but also quite raw.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

He’s needed though with Allerdice out for the season. 

That's three seasons in a row that Scott Allardice has been more absent than available. If fit i'm sure there would no doubt over vowels. Alas, that's an indicator of how far from focus he finds himself to be. 

It's great shame as despite his destination I'd hoped that he would prosper. 

On 24/01/2024 at 15:57, Kempes said:

Teddy Jenks, currently at Forest Green Rovers, being linked to your good selves. Midfielder previously spent time on loan at Aberdeen. No sign of a centre back yet.

I live down in Surrey now and go to Crawley matches (league Two) and Teddy Jenks played for the club for a season on loan. A decent enough player he is surprisingly strong and has a good work rate. Ultimately though he struggled to get into the Crawley first team.

It was a difficult season with Crawley nearly being relegated and there was not much time or room for an unproven youngster but he wasn't too bad.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on with you.

4 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Wonder if we will actually sign a single permanent player this window 

Adams has already said he won’t.  Not that that means very much, but I’d be surprised if anyone else came in. 

4 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

Wonder if we will actually sign a single permanent player this window 

Spoiler

icon_left_arrow.png
icon_right_arrow.png

Adams must be a loan arranger to seek wriggle room in market

BY ANDY SKINNER

Derek Adams says he is largely restricted to loan signings this month due to the player contracts already in place at Ross County.

All four of Adams’ January additions have been signed on loan, with George Wickens, Brandon Khela, Eli King and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson having arrived.

Along with defender Will Nightingale, who has extended his loan deal from AFC Wimbledon until the end of the season, County have two remaining loan slots available which Adams intends to use up by next week’s transfer deadline.

With the vast majority of County’s squad under contract for at least next season, Adams says he cannot look to bring in any players on deals beyond this summer.

Adams said: “People will say ‘Why is this manager signing loan deals?’

“The plain and simple thing is we have seven players on two-and-a-half year contracts and 16 players on one-and-a-half year contracts.

“If I take in seven players on permanent contracts, it works out that we have got 23 players signed up for next season. We’ve got no scope to move.

“These are the kind of things I’m trying to not talk about but I’m trying to explain the issues in it as well. Maybe, I should have spoken for longer on Saturday and explained it all.

“But you’ll see from my point of view why we’re having to do that at this moment in time.”

Adams is hopeful of adding to his squad before Saturday’s match against Premiership leaders Celtic at Parkhead.

The Staggies are short on defensive options, with skipper Jack Baldwin missing due to suspension – but also carrying a knock.

Ryan Leak is awaiting the results of an x-ray on his ankle following a collision in last weekend’s Scottish Cup defeat to Partick Thistle, while teenager Dylan Smith is a long-term absentee with an ankle injury of his own.

Nightingale will receive a knee injection, although he will be fit for Saturday.

With midfielders Scott Allardice and Ross Callachan also sidelined, Adams says he has had to rethink his January window priorities.

He added: “We’ll have to negate one other position to take in somebody else. We have to do that – we’ve no choice.

“At this moment in time we don’t have any centre-halves, although Will Nightingale will be fit.

“Jack Baldwin is injured. Dylan Smith is away for an operation as well and will be out for roughly 12 weeks.

“When you whittle it down and you only have four centre-halves, we only have one.

“That’s how difficult it is as a manager.

“It’s quite easy from the outside to look at things and say ‘How can you not do this and that?’ but if you’ve got a plan in place and you don’t have the tools to do it, you can’t do the job.

“That’s the scenario in training at this moment in time.”

Adams says the selection issues are restricting his ability to implement some of his ideas on the Staggies side, which he inherited from Malky Mackay in November.

Adams added: “It is about patching things together and trying to pick a starting 11.

“At this moment in time, we can’t do things we would want to do because we don’t have the personnel to do it.

“That’s natural when you come in and have injuries and suspensions.

“That’s probably what I was alluding to at the weekend as well.”

• The Staggies are interested in bringing former Aberdeen loanee Teddy Jenks to the club, according to the Daily Record.

Jenks, now with English League Two side Forest Green Rovers, has struggled for game time over the last few months and has been left out of the squad for the last five games.

The midfielder had a stint at Pittodrie during the 2021-22 season while he was at Brighton, scoring twice in 24 appearances for the Dons.

He spent last season with Crawley Town on loan before he was released by Brighton, subsequently joining Forest Green.

25 minutes ago, StuartTaylor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

icon_left_arrow.png
icon_right_arrow.png

Adams must be a loan arranger to seek wriggle room in market

BY ANDY SKINNER

Derek Adams says he is largely restricted to loan signings this month due to the player contracts already in place at Ross County.

All four of Adams’ January additions have been signed on loan, with George Wickens, Brandon Khela, Eli King and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson having arrived.

Along with defender Will Nightingale, who has extended his loan deal from AFC Wimbledon until the end of the season, County have two remaining loan slots available which Adams intends to use up by next week’s transfer deadline.

With the vast majority of County’s squad under contract for at least next season, Adams says he cannot look to bring in any players on deals beyond this summer.

Adams said: “People will say ‘Why is this manager signing loan deals?’

“The plain and simple thing is we have seven players on two-and-a-half year contracts and 16 players on one-and-a-half year contracts.

“If I take in seven players on permanent contracts, it works out that we have got 23 players signed up for next season. We’ve got no scope to move.

“These are the kind of things I’m trying to not talk about but I’m trying to explain the issues in it as well. Maybe, I should have spoken for longer on Saturday and explained it all.

“But you’ll see from my point of view why we’re having to do that at this moment in time.”

Adams is hopeful of adding to his squad before Saturday’s match against Premiership leaders Celtic at Parkhead.

The Staggies are short on defensive options, with skipper Jack Baldwin missing due to suspension – but also carrying a knock.

Ryan Leak is awaiting the results of an x-ray on his ankle following a collision in last weekend’s Scottish Cup defeat to Partick Thistle, while teenager Dylan Smith is a long-term absentee with an ankle injury of his own.

Nightingale will receive a knee injection, although he will be fit for Saturday.

With midfielders Scott Allardice and Ross Callachan also sidelined, Adams says he has had to rethink his January window priorities.

He added: “We’ll have to negate one other position to take in somebody else. We have to do that – we’ve no choice.

“At this moment in time we don’t have any centre-halves, although Will Nightingale will be fit.

“Jack Baldwin is injured. Dylan Smith is away for an operation as well and will be out for roughly 12 weeks.

“When you whittle it down and you only have four centre-halves, we only have one.

“That’s how difficult it is as a manager.

“It’s quite easy from the outside to look at things and say ‘How can you not do this and that?’ but if you’ve got a plan in place and you don’t have the tools to do it, you can’t do the job.

“That’s the scenario in training at this moment in time.”

Adams says the selection issues are restricting his ability to implement some of his ideas on the Staggies side, which he inherited from Malky Mackay in November.

Adams added: “It is about patching things together and trying to pick a starting 11.

“At this moment in time, we can’t do things we would want to do because we don’t have the personnel to do it.

“That’s natural when you come in and have injuries and suspensions.

“That’s probably what I was alluding to at the weekend as well.”

• The Staggies are interested in bringing former Aberdeen loanee Teddy Jenks to the club, according to the Daily Record.

Jenks, now with English League Two side Forest Green Rovers, has struggled for game time over the last few months and has been left out of the squad for the last five games.

The midfielder had a stint at Pittodrie during the 2021-22 season while he was at Brighton, scoring twice in 24 appearances for the Dons.

He spent last season with Crawley Town on loan before he was released by Brighton, subsequently joining Forest Green.

That answers a few questions, no idea why the club don’t just come out and tell the fans directly.

In the absence of information some folk just fill the void with wild speculation. They become armchair experts and denounce DA and want him removed. Sad really. However if they just sat back and showed some patience, got their thinking cap on and thought about the situation they may, just may, realise DA perhpas knows what he is doing and let him get on with his job.

12 minutes ago, silver said:

In the absence of information some folk just fill the void with wild speculation. They become armchair experts and denounce DA and want him removed. Sad really. However if they just sat back and showed some patience, got their thinking cap on and thought about the situation they may, just may, realise DA perhpas knows what he is doing and let him get on with his job.

Can you do us a solid then? Let me know when it's appropriate to be sceptical about stuff like falling right back into the old Adams habit of completely changing the squad every 6 months, driven by a transfer policy that reeks of "throwing a whole lot of shit at the wall & seeing if any of it'll stick". Tah

17 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Ayina played on the right of the back-three for United against County, in the post-split match last season. I know Jordan White scored a hat-trick of tap-ins against them, but I thought Ayina looked very good then, but also quite raw.

Promising but incredibly raw and naive. Sold a few goals trying to dribble past opposition forwards in his own box. Also, very strong, fast, good technique. He'll be a good player eventually whether he's there yet remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, silver said:

Or we could watch his interviews first hand from behind the sofa hoping he doesn't make a complete arse of it.  

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Promising but incredibly raw and naive. Sold a few goals trying to dribble past opposition forwards in his own box. Also, very strong, fast, good technique. He'll be a good player eventually whether he's there yet remains to be seen.

Maybe Adams won't be signing Yann Songo'o in this window, but he's got Songo'o's pretender instead.

On 21/01/2024 at 18:18, silver said:

Just looked into this. He didnt win a single game in 13 and the 3-1 loss against Raith ended his 6 month spell in charge. Not sure why his sacking is relevant.

It was a Scottish Cup pumping by a Championship club at a similar stage of the season off the back of some poor results. A fair comparison to make.

Perhaps the fact County have only failed to win in 5 means it's all okay, though.

Edited by morrison

Going by the ‘no permanent transfers’ interview, I find it very disappointing that this could potentially be it until the end of the season… maybe I’ve just turned into a grumpy old fart.

Edited by StoneThrowAway

6 new loanees playing in the starting line up against Celtic of all teams, at Celtic Park. I have the fear. Wonder what Laidlaw has done to deserve to be benched, saved us from a good few hidings over past couple of seasons.