The General Ross County Chat Thread

Don't think much of the comments above saying Cardle shouldn't start. Unfortunately for you folks Cardle has impressed in pre season and Adams has said he expects him to fill the void left by Sproule by bringing direct wing play back to county and I agree. I would hope we will sign the 2 left backs, a centre mid and a right winger.

Brittain is better wide.

Also disagree with this Brittain was nowhere near as effective out wide last season as he was playing centrally. First of all he can't go past players which comes in handy in the wing. Also he was poor at helping Cikos out in defence. Looks a different player in the middle in my opinion.

I'm not particularly keen on Quinn or Cardle starting.

Positions needing filled:

LM

Why are you not keen on Cardle starting?

I can't see us getting another LM considering we've signed Cardle. Other areas are of more priority. De Leeuw has obviously played there in the past although I'd like him more central. In the right formation Jervis/Arquin seem to have played off the left in the past too. With his pace and skill this Latauchent chap looks capable of LM cover if he signs.

Edited by staggy4life

Why are you not keen on Cardle starting?

I'm not convinced he'll be that good but then he's received positive reviews so far. It's a bit arrogant/blinkered on my part I suppose, he's signed from a pretty poor looking Raith Rovers team so I'm not entirely sold on him. Hopefully he has me eating my words.

Mind you, it would be nice to have a direct wide midfielder again. Maatsen sometimes looks like he could offer that on the right.

Mind you, it would be nice to have a direct wide midfielder again. Maatsen sometimes looks like he could offer that on the right.

Maatsen must have had about 15 minutes on the park on Saturday. He got behind the overweight Elgin left-back twice to have opportunities at goal. In the first the ball bobbled up against his shin as he was dribbling and then when he was settled he lobbed a shot that looked more like a cross 15 feet over the bar. I'm struggling to remember the second one so that obviously wasn't that great either.

He then showed an outrageous piece of skill where he somehow managed to keep the ball in play at the touchline, when surrounded by three players, before linking up with the attack further down the pitch.

That's Darren Maatsen.

I'm not convinced he'll be that good but then he's received positive reviews so far. It's a bit arrogant/blinkered on my part I suppose, he's signed from a pretty poor looking Raith Rovers team so I'm not entirely sold on him. Hopefully he has me eating my words.

Cardle is simply not foreign enough for you Yoda.

I've heard he can speak a little French.

Just for information on Fenlon.

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/neal-on-jim-1024015.aspx

This is what Neil thought in August last year.

The attitude was solely that Neil thought he looked too happy training and playing with the u21's.

Jim constantly asked to go on loan as he wasn't getting game time. This was declined every time and Jim told he didnt have the right attitude.

Several loan deals were set up by his agent and permission was not given. It wasn't attitude, it was passion to play football.

Jim was outstanding in the televised MK dons game last year too. I thought he could of been man of the match.

Don't think much of the comments above saying Cardle shouldn't start. Unfortunately for you folks Cardle has impressed in pre season and Adams has said he expects him to fill the void left by Sproule by bringing direct wing play back to county and I agree. I would hope we will sign the 2 left backs, a centre mid and a right winger.

I think he will be useful against tiring defences. Not seen enough to say he is solid defending from LM. I think he will be a good signing, just may get more from him a times from the bench.

I have seen him twice in preseason and I am happy with him.

We need 2 quality midfielders at least. My view on Kettlewell has been clear enough He is a Championship player and no more in my opinion.

Edited by Capital_stag

I think he will be useful against tiring defences. Not seen enough to say he is solid defending from LM. I think he will be a good signing, just may get more from him a times from the bench.

I have seen him twice in preseason and I am happy with him.

We need 2 quality midfielders at least. My view on Kettlewell has been clear enough He is a Championship player and no more in my opinion.

Well I very much disagree and I think Cardle has been brought in to start left midfield. I understand he has come from Raith Rovers and it's hardly a marquee signing but he was their player of the year. My opinion is that he will be a big player for us but I may be wrong.

Kettlewell possibly is Championship standard but he is a very uniquely selfless footballer and his style makes him valuable. A midfield pairing of 2 of Brittain, Quinn and Ketts will not do. Those three were woeful together in the first half of last season and therefore I agree it is important we bring in at least one, maybe than one, other option for cm.

Planning on making my first pre-season game tonight, weddings & distances to travel after work have foiled me to date. Interested to get my first look at the new boys. Probably be my last chance to see them before the 3rd game of the season too (blame Bella).

I see Boyce played and scored in the development team against Fort William last night. I wonder if he will get a ten minute cameo tonight.

I also see that ST posted a similar thing on OTB. I wasn't copying, nosiree.

Edited by bunglebonce

Forget Holland, the Clach DJ is the highlight of the pre-season. Music from the 50s to 70s, with Grandstand and a tune from the squeezebox. And maybe a sight of Grant Munro in the terrace. Clachnacuddin has it all.

Our Del loves our full-backs to get forward. Doesn't normally play a winger in front of one of these types of guy though, so RB probably will be on the right.

With perhaps a more sitting left back? You thinking this Slovenian fella might be heading our way?

Whether or not Celcer is made of the right stuff remains to be seen, but that's the way I see it, with Latouchent 'Plan B'. That boy has some speed and flair.

A bit of an odd comment, that.

I thought it was a bit of dry humour, but you never can tell.

That's Darren Maatsen.

So does that mean we have a new Karim Boukraa style cult hero on our hands?

That would be great, but the likelihood is he will never have the same prominence in the team that Boukraa had. His performances and his confidence are too spasmodic for Adams to trust him enough, IMO, but if he gets the same amount of time that Alex Cooper did last season then I think he could do a lot more with it.

Hello people. I have recently been writing season previews for this coming campaign and today it is the turn of Ross County. Would love for people to have a wee read and give any feedback/criticisms if needed! In a ploy for you all to take it easy on me you need to know that my dad has a big soft spot for County having grown up in Dingwall and my granddad was actually a director at Ross County way, way back in the day.

Thanks in advance!

Link