The General Ross County Chat Thread

Football-wise, I'd keep Brown as he's steady enough to be a number 2 but I'd look to bring in a number 1. Other than that, there's a huge can of worms depending on who'd even be willing to stay! I think it'd be important to hold on to the very remainder of the spine of the team: Boyd, Brittain & Quinn (and sign up Gardyne if possible).

Gardyne's one of those players who just look right in a certain team's shirt. I'm all for keeping him and I'm sure Dundee United have decided to cut their losses.

As for the keepers, I'd have Reguero first choice every day of the week. Brown is one of those keepers who came through the ranks at Rangers with weird kinks in his technique. Smith was the other one, McGregor managed to have his flaws ironed out by better coaching, but all three were or are technically not the greatest.

Gardyne's one of those players who just look right in a certain team's shirt. I'm all for keeping him and I'm sure Dundee United have decided to cut their losses.

This, absolutely, and I've thought it for a while.

Kind of related, I'm also interested to know what people think of Brittain, his future in the game... It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, but would people say he has ever really recovered from the St Johnstone episode? I get the impression he's never quite been the same - and if not, will he ever? I know a player's role can change - for example he can be as 'key' without necessary scoring so many goals or whatever. And maybe he is still as important a leader even if his performances aren't what they used to be? Have we seen his best, is it kind of slowly downhill from here? I really hope not, and I certainly don't want his time with us to just kind of fizzle out into nothing. Hopefully time, and even a break for surgery and such, is what he's needed and he comes back fresh and up for it. How old is he, by the way?

blah blah blah, blee blee blee, "thinking you're in Europe, kinda, sorta, just" blah.

Allow me to point out that I made this statement BEFORE any actual "Guess where I live" game was announced, so don't count it as a clue in that sense. Allow me to clarify: I AM in Europe, as far as you or I or just about anyone is concerned. But not the EU, and in this part of the world a lot of locals don't really consider themselves 'Europe' unless they are an EU member.

A small, confusing clue:

You and I would say where I live is on the edge of Europe, but some of the locals would claim (with good, if slightly misguided reason) that we are in the centre of Europe. The internet won't help you a lot with the second part of that, so I'll tell you that in this country is a very official monument / tourist point claiming to be the geographical centre of Europe!

Haha! Have fun :lol:

Information

There's plenty of places that make that claim as there's various different ways to measure it. Most of them have monuments. It's the same with the "midpoint of the UK". But there's only two countries that have a genuine claim to this that's not in the EU: Belarus and Ukraine. Both of these countries have monuments too, however Belarus have multiple different locations claiming the title, so would make it difficult for the country to have a "very official monument". So I'm back at Ukraine, right next to where I started in Crimea.

Edited by Spain

This, absolutely, and I've thought it for a while.

Kind of related, I'm also interested to know what people think of Brittain, his future in the game... It's a matter of opinion, I suppose, but would people say he has ever really recovered from the St Johnstone episode? I get the impression he's never quite been the same - and if not, will he ever? I know a player's role can change - for example he can be as 'key' without necessary scoring so many goals or whatever. And maybe he is still as important a leader even if his performances aren't what they used to be? Have we seen his best, is it kind of slowly downhill from here? I really hope not, and I certainly don't want his time with us to just kind of fizzle out into nothing. Hopefully time, and even a break for surgery and such, is what he's needed and he comes back fresh and up for it. How old is he, by the way?

I think Brittain's one of these Club Captain kinda guys, he's integral to the team even if he isn't fit or a guaranteed starter. He's 31 so he'll probably manage a few years yet, but I can see him staying on to finish with us.

Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. I'm back (in) Ukraine, Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else. Spain said this. Spain said that. Spain said something else.

I'LL PUT THE KETTLE ON!!!!!! What time will you be round?

I think Brittain's one of these Club Captain kinda guys, he's integral to the team even if he isn't fit or a guaranteed starter. He's 31 so he'll probably manage a few years yet, but I can see him staying on to finish with us.

In the relatively immediate aftermath of the ST J thing, I had thought this too, mainly reasoning that nobody else would want him after that - reasoning which I no longer hold to, it's stupid. But it still wouldn't surprise me if he's County till the end, and as long as it continues to make sense I'd be a fan of that.

As for the keepers, I'd have Reguero first choice every day of the week. Brown is one of those keepers who came through the ranks at Rangers with weird kinks in his technique. Smith was the other one, McGregor managed to have his flaws ironed out by better coaching, but all three were or are technically not the greatest.

That's a weird comment to make, IMO, considering that Reguero has chucked the opening goal in four league matches this season due to fundamental errors in his technique. Not to mention flapping at the cross for Erskine's winner at Tannadice.

Further considering:

1. Ross County haven't won a match in which they've lost the opening goal; and
  2. County are unbeaten in games in which they score the first goal:-

I have no qualms over McIntyre trusting a steady if unremarkable goalkeeper in a relegation battle. Especially now that he is moving the ball on to the defenders quicker than he used to. I like Reguero for all the things that's good about his game, but he's thrown away far too many matches, it's not acceptable.

That's a weird comment to make, IMO, considering that Reguero has chucked the opening goal in four league matches this season due to fundamental errors in his technique. Not to mention flapping at the cross for Erskine's winner at Tannadice.

Further considering:

• Ross County haven't won a match in which they've lost the opening goal; and
  • County are unbeaten in games in which they score the first goal:-
I have no qualms over McIntyre trusting a steady if unremarkable goalkeeper in a relegation battle. Especially now that he is moving the ball on to the defenders quicker than he used to. I like Reguero for all the things that's good about his game, but he's thrown away far too many matches, it's not acceptable.

Whether someone's choice is Brown or Reguero I believe the concensus view is that we need a new keeper. In my view that remains the same whether or not we stay up. The Championship is going to have either Hibs or The Rangers in it, possibly even both. Either will be set up for promotion and no team looking to come up can afford to have a keeper who is "steady but unremarkable".

I'LL PUT THE KETTLE ON!!!!!! What time will you be round?

Can't believe my wild stab in the dark was Crimea *facepalm*

Whether someone's choice is Brown or Reguero I believe the concensus view is that we need a new keeper. In my view that remains the same whether or not we stay up. The Championship is going to have either Hibs or The Rangers in it, possibly even both. Either will be set up for promotion and no team looking to come up can afford to have a keeper who is "steady but unremarkable".

Considering the question, I read it as he was keeping him as starter for next year too but perhaps that's not what he meant.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to keep as BB calls him a "steady if unremarkable" keeper as your back up. But a new #1 needs to be one of our priorities in the summer.

Further considering:

• Ross County haven't won a match in which they've lost the opening goal; and
  • County are unbeaten in games in which they score the first goal:-

Jolly good.

According to the Inverness Courier, Rocco Quinn played 45 minutes against Rangers in the DL yesterday and Jimbo thinks he will be ready in two to three weeks.

And according to a photo gallery online, Tony Dingwall also played in that match.

Edited by bunglebonce

Some top reporting from the BBC there: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31896979

Ross County's Jim McIntyre and Ryan Christie win February awards

Ross County's fighting performances at the bottom of the Scottish Premiership have been recognised by the Scottish Professional Football League.

Jim McIntyre has been named the top tier's manager of the month for February as County beat Motherwell, Partick Thistle and Dundee.

And attacking midfielder Ryan Christie, 20, has been named last month's best player across all four SPFL leagues.

Christie also won the young player award in August.

County's fine run of form has continued in March with another win over Thistle and a point against Hamilton at New Douglas Park on Saturday extending the unbeaten run to five games.

Cameron Burgess and Jackson Irvine have been selected in a 23 man Olyroos squad for the Asian U23 Championship qualifying games which eventually result in qualification for the 2016 Olympics. Australia's games are v Hong Kong (27 Mar), Taiwan (29 Mar) and Myanmar (31 Mar). All games in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.