The General Ross County Chat Thread

It would be insane to go into the season with Routis and Chow as the main central midfielders backed up by Dykes, Ashmore and Dingwall. Chow and Routis are good enough on their day but have little experience themselves and are wildly inconsistent. 

It would be insane to go into the season with Routis and Chow as the main central midfielders backed up by Dykes, Ashmore and Dingwall. Chow and Routis are good enough on their day but have little experience themselves and are wildly inconsistent. 

Maybe we'll get to play another round of Guess The Trialist this season? That was fun. Ultimately painful, but fun. There's only one way to cure these signing blues.

We need one loyal volunteer to travel to Spain for a week, existing on nothing but sangria and really salty, overcooked crisps, and taking blurred photos of strangers who are running in circles around a park.

[mention=22987]Bunglebonce[/mention]? [mention=301]RIG[/mention]?[mention=1]Div[/mention]? Anyone?

6 hours ago, Bri RCFC said:

^^^ There wont be a massive influx of new players, we already have a competitive squad. Schalk needs to prove himself this season, also think Curran after a full pre-season fit will be back to somewhere near his best.

The likes of McShane and Woods have to get off the wage bill before we make many more signings I think.

I am not expecting a replacement for Boyce anytime before the season starts. I think the club will see what's available on the season long loan front 1st.

I fully expect some of the U20's we saw so successful last season get they're chance in the 1st team squad.

The only positions in the squad were we have any sort of competition for places is in the defence.  The midfield and forward positions are a cause for concern to put it mildly.  We cant go into the new season with just Schalk and Curran, I'm not convinced either of them can get to 10 + goals in a season.  

1 hour ago, Spain said:

We still actually have Woods and McShane at the moment though as far as I'm aware :(

We still will until 31/8/17 I reckon, when push comes to shove and they'll be paid off or loaned out, then we'll be looking at unsigned players outside the window.

Looking at the fixture list, I'm not optimistic we'll have a league win by then!  Things could change quickly with new signings however.

Edited by bunglebonce

I think the squad looks weak. Very weak.

The defence looks reasonably steady but could do with an extra body. Goalkeepers are fine, obviously.

The midfield gives me the fear. It's the same problems we were highlighting last summer and it's a concern that one year on, we're still highlighting them.

Schalk and Curran are decent players but neither score enough. I suppose Curran's game isn't really about goalscoring, but Schalk's has to be. 

I would like to see three players shipped out (McEveley, McShane, Woods) but as others have said, that'll probably come right at the end of the transfer window, leaving us in the same position as last season. 

At the moment I'm pencilling us in for 11th at best.

3 hours ago, StuartTaylor said:

Our annual overseas pre-season training camp starts a week Sunday in La Manga, and no fixtures have been announced yet. Presumably they are not expecting any fans to attend. I don't know of anyone going, which seems a bit odd given the reasonable numbers we have taken to Hungary and The Netherlands in past seasons. Anyone going?

As a Hungary (x2) and Holland (x1) veteran, La Manga doesn't excite me at all.  For the previous trips, the football was a good hook to get me to interesting cities I hadn't been to before.  La Manga isn't anywhere near as interesting as Budapest or Amsterdam so I'm saving my holidays for other stuff.

None of the Central Staggies are going, but I know two other County fans who are, so hopefully they get a couple of good games to report back on.

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

You might be right, but that squad gets relegated. If the plan is for Burke to be given another year if he recovers - and the way I read it he was offered a short term deal in order to find another club, like Dingwall - then that explains the lack of a winger. But that midfield remains limited.

I think Burke and Dingwall are two different cases.  I believe Dingwall is being kept on for that the reason above and I think he would be away already if he didn't have that injury.  Burke, on the other hand, is a game-changer and I think he is being given every chance to recover to full health - he'll be 34 by the winter break but is such a good player that he can get away with it.  It would be good to hear of any progress on that, one way or another.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Maybe we'll get to play another round of Guess The Trialist this season? That was fun. Ultimately painful, but fun. There's only one way to cure these signing blues.

Fun as a small mercy.  Remember when Dreesen, Frempah and Balk were signed?  18 July!  The Adams' management became so insular in their last few months that we weren't even told of the names of trialists.

Pre-season training starts today supposedly.  I toyed with the idea of taking my 300mm lens and regret not doing so now :ph34r:

Edited by bunglebonce

On 15/06/2017 at 21:10, bunglebonce said:

Training starts next Friday, I'll worry or not from that day on. Andrew Davies was announced with a few others the day before pre-season training a couple of years ago, for instance. 

Andy Skinner @ P&J tweeted he didn't see any fresh faces today.

Mark me down as concerned.

I posted serious concerns a few pages ago and was advised to calm my jets by most ( not all) respondents. I wish to declare serious bed wetting now. As wiser counsels have already said, the goalkeepers and defensive options are sound and give a fair degree of confidence. The shape of the team beyond that is frankly scary. I am not buying into the ability of Development Team players to step up into the week on week grind of the SPFL and it would not be reasonable to expect more than one , maybe two at a push, to do so. A half-wit could have foreseen that Boycie was on his way and given the goal scoring gap that he leaves it is imperative that we have a solution given that we are not going to get a like for like replacement. The Burke situation is such that we surely must be in a position to expect that he is able to start the season , if not we need to get pragmatic. As good as the last few weeks of the previous season were it can't be denied that it was a somewhat "difficult " campaign: to my mind it is absolutely vital that we start 2017/18 with a powerful showing. Just off to change the bed clothes...

19 minutes ago, Jayhawks said:

A half-wit could have foreseen that Boycie was on his way and given the goal scoring gap that he leaves it is imperative that we have a solution given that we are not going to get a like for like replacement.

I'm actually, and surprising myself, not too concerned with Boyce going. Maybe this is because I accepted it a long time ago, but, and as awesome a player as he is (i.e perhaps the greatest player, and certainly the greatest forward we've ever had), could we also remember that he is the embodiment of a "form striker". He has gone on prolonged runs with no result. Whilst his goals this season were invaluable and undoubtedly aided in moving us as far away from relegation as we were, I don't think we would have been relegated without him (you can say, "remove his goals, blah blah blah", but another player would have been in his place - we would not have played 10 men, and still gotten some points). As others have said, with Curran coming back, we might be ok. I realise I'm saying might, as I do believe we need to sign another forward, and while they will probably not see a return like Boyce, our striking options aren't my main concern.

My main concern is midfield. I have it on good authority that Woods will go nowhere. He is on a substantial wage and has triggered a 1 year extension, despite being told he can leave he has uncategorically said he won't. If I've been informed correctly, his wage is much more than others will probably be willing to pay. Also, given McShane's relative failure to break into the team since his arrival, I doubt many, if any, premiership teams will take a punt on him - therefore he knows his best option is to sit out his term.

Am I a total judas for thinking we should make a move on Draper...?

13 minutes ago, The Rebel Piper said:

I'm actually, and surprising myself, not too concerned with Boyce going. Maybe this is because I accepted it a long time ago, but, and as awesome a player as he is (i.e perhaps the greatest player, and certainly the greatest forward we've ever had), could we also remember that he is the embodiment of a "form striker". He has gone on prolonged runs with no result. Whilst his goals this season were invaluable and undoubtedly aided in moving us as far away from relegation as we were, I don't think we would have been relegated without him (you can say, "remove his goals, blah blah blah", but another player would have been in his place - we would not have played 10 men, and still gotten some points). As others have said, with Curran coming back, we might be ok. I realise I'm saying might, as I do believe we need to sign another forward, and while they will probably not see a return like Boyce, our striking options aren't my main concern.

My main concern is midfield. I have it on good authority that Woods will go nowhere. He is on a substantial wage and has triggered a 1 year extension, despite being told he can leave he has uncategorically said he won't. If I've been informed correctly, his wage is much more than others will probably be willing to pay. Also, given McShane's relative failure to break into the team since his arrival, I doubt many, if any, premiership teams will take a punt on him - therefore he knows his best option is to sit out his term.

Am I a total judas for thinking we should make a move on Draper...?

The Woods situation is common knowledge and tbh even if he was still the love child I don't think it would dilute concerns about the midfield. Glad to hear you don't have major concerns about our strike force I just wish I shrared them. Draper? The last thing we need is a Messi type visionary at the club.

4 hours ago, stag317 said:

Never thought I'd say this, but what I wouldn't mind seeing is us taking Brian Graham back!

There's a Graham-sized hole in the squad.  I am going to guess that bridges were burned when he left the last time, but you never know.