The General Ross County Chat Thread

51 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Caley fans thought Chalmers was poor at LB in the second tier, that's not overly encouraging.

Yeah I heard all that too, and tbf they're probably right but i believe part of the Fergiewell thing is that they expect to get more/better performances out of players they've selected and within their system. 

That's just my take on it, hopefully if I'm right then Fergiewell are right. They're certainly putting a lot of trust in "the team" to pull each other through and the fact they've signed up pretty much the whole of last season's squad lends to that.  It fits with the jobs for the boys thing that's seen so many former players are coming back or moving into coaching, its creating a "nice" atmosphere. I just hope its subjective enough if/when results go against us.

I would be surprised if Chalmers was signed for any position other than CM. 

The new signing, Power (I forget his first name), appears to be quite exciting! Obviously he's not going to be the "finished article" but he sounds very promising.

Disappointing news regarding Armstrong. I reckon he'll turn out to be a useful player this season if given a run of games. I've more confidence in him than Keillor-Dunn.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Who was the last player County signed who proved to be much better than advertised?

"Much" is very subjective but all of the current bunch imo.

As I'm a pessimist, our every signing is deemed with hope & also suspicion. Promotion last season was a lovely surprise.

To name a few Watson, Lindsay, Mullin, Spence, Stewart have all pleasantly surprised me.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Going by the twitter feed it would suggest he's playing left back just now in a 442.

Ross County starting line-up v Eredivisie Groningen:
Baxter; Fraser, Fontaine, Grivosti, Chalmers; Spittal, Lindsay, Vigurs, Gardyne; McManus, Mckay. Subs: Laidlaw, Kelly, Morris, Mullin, Watson, Graham, Paton, Stewart, Kelly, Murray

Edited by frankthetank22

As I'm a pessimist, our every signing is deemed with hope & also suspicion. Promotion last season was a lovely surprise.
To name a few Watson, Lindsay, Mullin, Spence, Stewart have all pleasantly surprised me.

I think Watson, Lindsay and Stewart were exactly as advertised. Mullin I’m with you completely. Spence I’m not convinced

The new signing, Power (I forget his first name), appears to be quite exciting! Obviously he's not going to be the "finished article" but he sounds very promising.
Disappointing news regarding Armstrong. I reckon he'll turn out to be a useful player this season if given a run of games. I've more confidence in him than Keillor-Dunn.

Sounds like Chalmers was playing LB in Groningen and tbh we have been warned from other fans that he’s horrendous there (in the championship as well) although I still think it’ll be a slight improvement on Kelly / VDW (up for debate). Was confused by signing him but hopefully I’m proved wrong. If we went out and signed one quality left back and that was it for summer business I’d of been fairly happy.

Still think Coll Donaldson would be a handy player to sign up...

As for the Armstrong/ DKD thing, I think Davis has more talent at the moment, we seen that in the premiership but his hearts just not in it at County. Could be wrong but he appears to want the clubs with ‘bigger supports’ and going by social media, prefers Falkirk to us. Buying his cousins Falkirk tops etc. Imagine he’s offski and good luck to him, real talent there. But yes Armstrong will be an important player for us, bags of potential!!

17 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

If Watson had remained injury free I think he'd be at a bigger team than County, he was quality at Dundee United.

55 minutes ago, Comrie said:

If Watson had remained injury free I think he'd be at a bigger team than County, he was quality at Dundee United.

I expected an injury nightmare for player and club when his signing was announced, thankfully I was wrong.

Never for the life of me did I see him as being our defensive rock, at centre half, which imo he was last year.

Edited by frankthetank22

16 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Still think Coll Donaldson would be a handy player to sign up...

Hurry up and pay us what we want then.

10 hours ago, Comrie said:

I was gutted when never made him an offer before you signed him up. He was quality for us.

54 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

I was gutted when never made him an offer before you signed him up. He was quality for us.

Did he play as a centre back in a back four for United, I always saw him as a right back?

He was great at centre back for us last season. 

3 minutes ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

I’d hope we would, What is his price roughly? Considering we got draper for around 80k I wouldn’t hope more than that.

I'm pretty sure Caley are wanting six figures for Donaldson.