Who will be the next permanent manager of the Conservatives?

Ludo*1

Who will be the next head of the Conservative Party?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good to see the Daily Mail declare "Round 1 for Liz" despite a poll of the general public saying Sunak was better. 

I missed this and chose to watch something with the kids. My daughter (aged 12) is convinced that the next PM will be Boris again. I hope she is right. The tory party would be ruined if he stays. 

Raworth: "Are the long queues we've seen at Dover the partially due to Brexit?"
Truss: "No."
Sunak: "No."
Raworth: "Okay then. Moving on..."

Why did no one push these two clowns on this topic?

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Good to see the Daily Mail declare "Round 1 for Liz" despite a poll of the general public saying Sunak was better. 

I missed this and chose to watch something with the kids. My daughter (aged 12) is convinced that the next PM will be Boris again. I hope she is right. The tory party would be ruined if he stays. 

I'd laugh until I was sick. Hopi g for the Full Trump, mobs of the countryside alliance and Tommy Robinsons storming Westminster and an Anglo Q Shaman in full tweed, deerstalker and hunter wellies, tooting one of those stupid little hunting horns draped across the speakers chair. 

Please, please make it so. 

30 minutes ago, RiG said:

Raworth: "Are the long queues we've seen at Dover the partially due to Brexit?"
Truss: "No."
Sunak: "No."
Raworth: "Okay then. Moving on..."

Why did no one push these two clowns on this topic?

Because it is a superficial process in which serious issues and honest questions and answers have no place.  You have a candidate whose life and career scream privilege and entitlement squaring off against a thoroughly mediocre opponent who has been passed around the cabinet like a jazz mag.

Throw in a poor moderator and you are complete.

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'd laugh until I was sick. Hopi g for the Full Trump, mobs of the countryside alliance and Tommy Robinsons storming Westminster and an Anglo Q Shaman in full tweed, deerstalker and hunter wellies, tooting one of those stupid little hunting horns draped across the speakers chair. 

Please, please make it so. 

I mean come on.  Seriously? I know that the Westminster system is more fu(#ed than a very, very fu(#ed thing, but surely even the Tories would realise that while BoJo's return might be popular with the gammonati, it would be electoral suicide in the country as a whole. 

On the plus side, it would be absolutely hilarious watching the Scottish Tories try to decide what their position was. Dross would probably try to navigate a neutral stance, given that it appears to be his position that the overriding duty of the Scottish leader to work with whoever the national leader happens to be regardless of minor, boring, considerations like policy, even when it comes to the consequences for Scotland. 

13 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I mean come on.  Seriously? I know that the Westminster system is more fu(#ed than a very, very fu(#ed thing, but surely even the Tories would realise that while BoJo's return might be popular with the gammonati, it would be electoral suicide in the country as a whole. 

On the plus side, it would be absolutely hilarious watching the Scottish Tories try to decide what their position was. Dross would probably try to navigate a neutral stance, given that it appears to be his position that the overriding duty of the Scottish leader to work with whoever the national leader happens to be regardless of minor, boring, considerations like policy, even when it comes to the consequences for Scotland. 

But Sunak and Truss are so, so completely shit and unelectable. So as this contest rolls on for another month, BawJaws II, the Revenge of BawJaws might become more and more appealing to the white, rich, over 60's males who will predominantly be making this decision. Better the arsehole you know etc.  

23 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

But Sunak and Truss are so, so completely shit and unelectable. So as this contest rolls on for another month, BawJaws II, the Revenge of BawJaws might become more and more appealing to the white, rich, over 60's males who will predominantly be making this decision. Better the arsehole you know etc.  

DAN WOOTTON: Grassroot Tories are now rising up to protest the coup against Boris Johnson. After the anti-democratic Westminster plot to destroy him, party members MUST be allowed a vote on whether he should stay on as PM

Just read it - gives me a deep glow of satisfaction.

Surely Labour and the Lib Dems can't Hibs it from here. 

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

What an utterly delightful ludicrous seething mess. Never thought I'd enjoy Wootons work, at all, or indeed as much. More of this please. 

12 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

What an utterly delightful ludicrous seething mess. Never thought I'd enjoy Wootons work, at all, or indeed as much. More of this please. 

A baw hair away from calling for a full on Trump storming of parliament. What an absolute joke but that seems to sum up what the right wing media in the UK are being reduced to. Interesting that Sky ditched Fox but still carry Fox lite in the shape of GBN.

"Anti-democratic Westminster plot to destroy him"

Aye, definitely wasn't the architect of his own downfall there, what with his impeccable moral standards, faultless honesty and accountability, and rock-solid competence and delivery of sound governance.

Always a good laugh when idiots like Dan Wootton fail to realise that the public don't elect Prime Ministers. They are instead appointed based on the party winning the most seats.

If the PM cannot command the confidence of Parliament, he's out. If he cannot command the confidence of his own governing party, then he's out as well. Johnson of course failed at the latter, which is the easier of the two to fulfill.

This stuff peddled about Boris Johnson's 'mandate' is fantasy stuff. He has no personal mandate and he can be removed if he can't command the confidence of Parliament/his government. The party that won a majority does not have confidence in him to lead the country. 

As far as the laughable line that Tory members must be given a vote on Johnson remaining PM goes, he was free to stand in the leadership contest. He chose not to. 

I wonder if any of this was precipitated, even a small part of it, by the prospect of him facing a by-election should he be found to have misled Parliament (which he definitely did). I expect he'd have won a by-election in any case, but it would be monumentally embarrassing for a sitting PM to have to fight one in the first place. Mind you, completely unacceptable behaviour that should have made his position untenable didn't seem to be a problem at any point prior to the "shit, my place at the trough is in jeopardy" rebellion.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Always a good laugh when idiots like Dan Wootton fail to realise that the public don't elect Prime Ministers. They are instead appointed based on the party winning the most seats.

If the PM cannot command the confidence of Parliament, he's out. If he cannot command the confidence of his own governing party, then he's out as well. Johnson of course failed at the latter, which is the easier of the two to fulfill.

This stuff peddled about Boris Johnson's 'mandate' is fantasy stuff. He has no personal mandate and he can be removed if he can't command the confidence of Parliament/his government. The party that won a majority does not have confidence in him to lead the country. 

As far as the laughable line that Tory members must be given a vote on Johnson remaining PM goes, he was free to stand in the leadership contest. He chose not to. 

Not sure that's true.  Thought I'd read that he wasn't eligible to stand under Tory party rules because he'd resigned.

It'll be interesting if the members vote for Truss. there are 2 precedents that I can see. 

First, in 2001, they elected Iain Duncan Smith over Ken Clarke. Clarke would have brought them back into contention as a serious political force but they went for ideological purity over Europe. 

Second, Corbyn. If Truss wins she will have the backing of the members of the party, but barely 30% of the parliamentary party backed her for leader. Will she face the same issues Corbyn did?

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not sure that's true.  Thought I'd read that he wasn't eligible to stand under Tory party rules because he'd resigned.

Seems to be a bit of a grey area, as a few people are suggesting that he hasn't actually formally resigned, just agreed that he will once his successor is established.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

He would've been barred if he lost his confidence vote, not sure RE the resignation. 

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Second, Corbyn. If Truss wins she will have the backing of the members of the party, but barely 30% of the parliamentary party backed her for leader. Will she face the same issues Corbyn did?

Truss is the Erg face in this run off they just want someone easy to control...truss is perfect and the erg mob will soon whip the rest of the mps into line of course there will always be the odd one but they will fall into line much like Truss herself has done