St Mirren v Motherwell 31/07/2022

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Why does anyone engage with Capt Numbnuts 🤷‍♂️

I would expect 1st time posters too but come on.

To me this result matters less than our quite frankly embarrassing dominance over St Mirren in recent years. For two sides that are roughly similar size it must be tough to take for the buddies. In fact judging by comments on here it clearly rankles. 

St Mirren might even finish above us this season for only the second time since dinosaurs were roaming the earth*

* approximate 

They haven’t exceeded our top league points total since the ‘80s.

It would be embarrassing if a team of Motherwell cast-offs were to beat those they were chucked for. A lot of pressure on Alexander and Motherwell as a whole going into this one. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Motherwell rest numerous first team picks for their dead rubber tie in Ireland ahead of the big one. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thread warming up nicely already and we haven't even got onto the CVs of many of our playing/off-field staff.

I touched on it in the first page tbf. 

Thought i needed to get in there early. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I thought as much.

Easy then to understand why they take our ex Manager and ex players to try and emulate one of the more successful sides in Scottish Football. 

You know I might actually have them as my second team. You know that plucky loser you keep rooting for. 

Edited by welldaft

2 hours ago, ropy said:

There’ll be grandparents in Paisley that have never known anything other than the ‘Well being the dominant force. Incredible. 

2 hours ago, Munoz said:

I touched on it in the first page tbf. 

Thought i needed to get in there early. 

Sorry, managed to miss that. I reckon there's more to come from that particular thread...

49 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

:rolleyes:

There was a point in time when Morton hadn't won a trophy for 30 years. Next thing they know - boom - it was 100 years. It's very easily done and I certainly hope Motherwell don't go that way. It's probably quite a bleak existence, I'd imagine.

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Probably 60:40 split in favour of Motherwell.

So, you reckon that circa 16,000 Motherwell fans turned out for a Scottish Cup tie against a lower league side?

And that’s against a background of an 8,000 average home league gate (including Old Firm visits) with the top gate being 18,000 (for the visit of Rangers).

The hype for the game was all about St Mirren 

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

Why does anyone engage with Capt Numbnuts 🤷‍♂️

I would expect 1st time posters too but come on.

To me this result matters less than our quite frankly embarrassing dominance over St Mirren in recent years. For two sides that are roughly similar size it must be tough to take for the buddies. In fact judging by comments on here it clearly rankles. 

St Mirren might even finish above us this season for only the second time since dinosaurs were roaming the earth*

* approximate 

Motherwell’s “dominance” is explained by cheating.

You lot should be ashamed of yourselves 

3 hours ago, dezz said:

There’ll be grandparents in Paisley that have never known anything other than the ‘Well being the dominant force. Incredible. 

They’ll also never have known anything other than Motherwell cheating.

It’s not something to be proud of. If I were you, I’d be thoroughly ashamed. 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

5 minutes ago, Captain Saintsible said:

So, you reckon that circa 16,000 Motherwell fans turned out for a Scottish Cup tie against a lower league side?

And that’s against a background of an 8,000 average home league gate (including Old Firm visits) with the top gate being 18,000 (for the visit of Rangers).

The hype for the game was all about St Mirren 

The video has incontrovertible evidence. When the goals go in the motherwell cheer is much louder than the St Mirren cheer.

Did St Mirren even have 10,000 fans back then?

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

There was a point in time when Morton hadn't won a trophy for 30 years. Next thing they know - boom - it was 100 years. It's very easily done and I certainly hope Motherwell don't go that way. It's probably quite a bleak existence, I'd imagine.

Just imagine supporting a team that haven't won anything for so long that only Tam Cowan can remember it... 

40 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The video has incontrovertible evidence. When the goals go in the motherwell cheer is much louder than the St Mirren cheer.

The reason for that is that in those days the only mic was in the main stand where the majority of Well supporters were housed.

Fans from Paisley took over all the other parts of the ground with another 10000 locked outside. 

We were massive under Fergie.

If only @Captain Sensible grandpa had not fallen out with the great man we would have had two stars above our club crest!