Fifa 23

mrpaddyx

It's August 4th so it must be time to start a new topic on the next exciting instalment of the Fifa series of video games, which if you didn’t know, is also the last to be made by EA.

Brief reflections on 22, I liked it probably my favourite since I started playing Ultimate Team in 19. The only major gripe was how inconsistence the online connections were on the PS5.

As usual, EA are promising all sorts of new innovations with Fifa 23 but will probably not deliver a huge amount of change, nothing that will harm the money making behemoth that is Ultimate Team and the obscene amount of money spent on Fifa points.

Also despite having teams from the English 5th tier there still isn't any room for the Scottish Championship. There will however be a World Cup mode for the upcoming tournament in Qatar and Women's club teams as well, which has potential to play different than the men’s version (Or be a cynical feature with little substance). Another plus is that Cross play is also promised between PS, Xbox, PC etc.

My main concern would be that because it's the last Fifa branded game being made by EA they may put out a substandard version and focus on next year’s imaginatively named EA Sports FC. I'm thinking of something like the "Legacy" versions that were punted out on the PS3 and Switch in recent years which had zero new features and only changed the menus and strips.

It will also be interesting to see how popular Fifa 23 will be on P+B. Last's years topic was the lowest commented on since this part of the forum was created and it's been on a slow popularity decline since the high of Fifa 20.

I don't know how long that patter has been running for on here now, but for the first time I am actually very much interested in the Scottish Championship being included in this years FIFA. 

Disgraceful that this league continues to be ignored... 👀

23 hours ago, Dave said:

I don't know how long that patter has been running for on here now, but for the first time I am actually very much interested in the Scottish Championship being included in this years FIFA. 

Disgraceful that this league continues to be ignored... 👀

Personally I’ve been bitter since 1997 (the last time Raith were in the game) but peak outrage was probably the season Hearts, Hibs and Rangers were all in the Championship and it was still ignored by EA. 

In unexpected Fifa 23 news I managed to get a Closed Beta invitation. It's starts tommorow until the 1st of September and it appears it's going to let me play all the modes. I've never had this before so it should be fun to try it out.

The beta's okay, it's essentially the same game (on the PS4 version anyway, as that's the only version of 22 I played). There are some horrific things needing ironed out, though, like the zoom-in for power shots, the jarring camera angle changes when some shots go in and the massive under- and over-performance of keepers in certain scenarios. This is definitely the least different I can remember a beta feeling, which could be good news - I've always felt that they should take the approach of building off of their better gameplay titles rather than reinventing the wheel, as they've done since about FIFA 13. Won't be remotely surprised if it ends up being riddled with various imbalances that form a changing 'meta' between patches though, like the last number of editions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2022 at 11:24, pub car king said:

Didn't know you could have PlayStation vs xbox players.

Set pieces will take a bit of getting used to and defenders seem to be static once the keeprs beat. 

In the Rivals games i've played you can acutally see the PS and Xbox logos above the players heads. I'm sure PC players can also join in as well.

• 3 weeks later...

and just like that, webapp is down [emoji23][emoji23]

already went to work with setting up a bog standard EPL team which I use to gradually build up coins for first couple of weeks. the new chemistry system looks interesting but will want to look at it on a bigger screen before fiddling about with it further.

Made this team to start with.

I like that they've tried to change chemistry, the game needed something fresher, but the inflexibility of positions is going to be a pain. A CM getting and giving no chemistry at CDM is just stupid. I was going to buy De Paul, but he doesn't have CDM as an alternative position so I'd have had to change my formation completely to fit him in. 

I looked at Hickey for a rightback but his positions are LWB, LB and RWB. On the one hand, that's an improvement from last year when players couldn't play on both sides at full chemistry. But being able to play RWB at full chem but RB gets zero doesn't make any sense.

Screenshot_20220922-121930_Chrome~2.jpg

10 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

You really do have to say "fair play" to EA for jumping the shark and making the 'Advanced SBCs' rewards untradeable for the very first time. Surprised they've not done it before now, tbf, but forcing folk towards buying FIFA points nine days before the game's full release really is something special. Fair play! 

And people on Reddit are raving about how adding Ted Fucking Lasso into the game is great fun, so EA respond by showing them exactly what they think of the community and their feelings.  

Said to myself I wasn't going to bother this year and yet here I am downloading the game for the trial. 

Going to use first owners only this year to try and make it a bit more interesting.

The few SBCs and welcome back packs have left me with this team. My manager has a lovely hat too.

Screenshot_20220926-202653_Companion.jpg