2022/23 Dutch football

Marten

Groningen are utterly fucked. This relegation is either going to see them romp Eerste Divisie next season or do an RKC where they finish bottom for 17 years in a row and not be deservedly relegated to the third tier.

Board needs to f**k off and Dennis van der Ree should be banned from managing in professional or semi-professional football ever again. I don't see how someone could do as badly as Frank Wormuth. Especially given how good some of those players are.

20 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Groningen are utterly fucked. This relegation is either going to see them romp Eerste Divisie next season or do an RKC where they finish bottom for 17 years in a row and not be deservedly relegated to the third tier.

Board needs to f**k off and Dennis van der Ree should be banned from managing in professional or semi-professional football ever again. I don't see how someone could do as badly as Frank Wormuth. Especially given how good some of those players are.

Pretty much exactly the same as a friend of mine who supports Groningen said. They've really become a mess.

On 21/05/2023 at 15:57, Marten said:

Next week 2nd and 3rd will be decided in 2 big games: AZ v PSV and Twente v Ajax. If AZ win, Ajax would be second with a win, third (EL play-offs) with a draw and fourth (ECL qualifiers) with a loss. So that's going to be very interesting. 

PSV put up a much better display than in last week's draw against Heerenveen. They won 1-2 at AZ and secured 2nd & CL football. Ajax lost 3-1 to Twente but it didn't cost them the EL place due to AZ's loss.

On 29/05/2023 at 13:21, Marten said:

PSV put up a much better display than in last week's draw against Heerenveen. They won 1-2 at AZ and secured 2nd & CL football. Ajax lost 3-1 to Twente but it didn't cost them the EL place due to AZ's loss.

Are AZ not facing a possible ban from European competition anyway, after the West Ham shenanigans?

Or maybe a ban on supporters in the stadium? 

15 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Are AZ not facing a possible ban from European competition anyway, after the West Ham shenanigans?

Or maybe a ban on supporters in the stadium? 

I'd say the latter is more likely, seeing as they don't have a history of violence, this was the first real crowd trouble incident for them.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the Dutch professional leagues now fully finished for the season. In the Europa Conference League play-off final, Twente won 1-0 against Sparta, 2-1 on aggregate. In the promotion/relegation play-off final Almere City won 1-2 at Emmen, 4-1 on aggregate, to get promoted.

Almere become the first ever club from the province of Flevoland in the Eredivisie, taking the place of Emmen who became the first ever club from the province of Drenthe in the Eredivisie 5 years ago. Zeeland is the only one of the 12 provinces left to never have had a top flight team. That's unlikely to change any time soon though as their strongest side are only midtable in the 4th tier. 

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

What comes first the heat death of the universe or FC Eindhoven making it back to the Eredivise?

They've done really well for a few years now to be fair, despite very limited funds. But they keep just falling short. Who knows, maybe just like with Almere now luck will be on their side within the next few years.

Edited by Marten

On 11/06/2023 at 21:01, Marten said:

That's the Dutch professional leagues now fully finished for the season. In the Europa Conference League play-off final, Twente won 1-0 against Sparta, 2-1 on aggregate. In the promotion/relegation play-off final Almere City won 1-2 at Emmen, 4-1 on aggregate, to get promoted.

Almere become the first ever club from the province of Flevoland in the Eredivisie, taking the place of Emmen who became the first ever club from the province of Drenthe in the Eredivisie 5 years ago. Zeeland is the only one of the 12 provinces left to never have had a top flight team. That's unlikely to change any time soon though as their strongest side are only midtable in the 4th tier. 

The city of Goes should form a partnership with a certain team from Deventer and become Goes Ahead Zeagles, sorry flauwe grap the heat is getting the better of me.

• 1 month later...
On 29/05/2023 at 13:19, Marten said:

Pretty much exactly the same as a friend of mine who supports Groningen said. They've really become a mess.

I said this when I was very ill. My point will stands (also still being ill). Excellent start to the season with a 4-1 over Jong Ajax. Fully expecting big Kev van Veen to score 30 goals.

• 2 months later...
On 11/06/2023 at 22:01, Marten said:

Thanks for the update on Dutch football! It's always fascinating to see how teams perform and evolve over the seasons. Congrats to Almere City on their promotion to the Eredivisie, and it's interesting to note how different provinces in the Netherlands are represented in the top flight.
Speaking of football, I'm a fan of various sports, and one of my interests is following WNBA predictions. It's a different kind of excitement, but sports always bring people together, no matter which league or level they're in.

Edited by DeanPaladin

28 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Maybe a good idea to merge this thread with the one for the current season and keep all the Ajax fun in one place, can't see Steijn lasting long now.

Apologies, I didn’t even clock that there were separate threads for each season. Just got excited that Ajax were losing again and jumped in the first thread I saw with “Dutch football” in the title.

24 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Apologies, I didn’t even clock that there were separate threads for each season. Just got excited that Ajax were losing again and jumped in the first thread I saw with “Dutch football” in the title.

Completely understandable, it's very funny.