Stenny vs Sons

Thoroughly enjoyed those highlights! The Stenny manager slating his team and then saying they should be more Dumbarton basically. Strict, hard to beat etc...

Delighted to see young Fin smashing it as well! If Calum Wilson was showing up anywhere near as well as he was 12 months ago we'd have a very exciting pair on our books. Really must get Fin signed up for a bit longer though!!

Just glad that Mckee and Blair seem to have a really nice balance to working alongside Gray in the middle of the park. Long may that continue!

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think there’s a bit of an overreaction from everyone at Stenny here. Four games is absolutely nothing. This is how L1 looked for us after 8 games last season.

8BE9D6C7-F178-4ADE-963D-BF5ECAE0ABB2.thumb.jpeg.e0c833a2de1184bf9fcda7cc05999f6b.jpeg

Long, long way to go.

Two of that top four gained promotion (three of them were top four) and the bottom team got relegated so although I can see your point it doesn't really stand up here. Dumbarton were certainly the anomaly and never likely to remain at the top end of that league with the squad they had.

This isn't an over reaction unfortunately when you are watching it every week. I am probably among the more optimistic of our support and have backed the manager more than most but we are having a mirror image of last season's opening gambit and it's completely unacceptable considering the squad we have put together. We should actually be on zero points after four games in all honesty.

Edited by Neilly

If I was the Stenny chairman watching that third goal I'd be doing more than sending a tweet out. I get they were pushing for an equaliser but wee Fin has run 70 yards up the centre of the pitch unchallenged AND he had about 4 years to put his own rebound in. O'Reilly and Swift both sound beaten in their post match interviews too, lots of huffing and puffing and nobody seems to know what the answers are. Swift basically talked himself out of a job in his pre/post match interviews IMO, goes on about how theres no confidence in the team and there's been no improvements in both boxes in a year despite them working hard and having "heart to hearts" with players at training. If you're having to have "clear the air" type stuff 4 games into a season it is not a good sign. He'll be out on his arse soon. 

On our side, I must doff my cap to Faz. He's always spoken well but last season I think everyone got a bit fed up of his patter because we didn't see any evidence of what he was saying on the pitch. This season he has came out and said we needed to be more compact and hard to beat, more clinical in attack and to see games out when we get ahead. In that regard he is currently smashing it out the park. I was also critical of getting a sports scientist on board at this level but the fitness of the team does seem improved, along with concentration levels, so again, I'll happily doff my cap. Here's hoping that by the end of the season I am not only doffing my cap but eating it as a starter before my humble pie. 

The set piece goals were oddly reminiscent of watching us last season. Keeper and defenders just leaving it to each other and then lots of shouting afterwards. 

Long really should've saved the shot at him for the goal but he's made so many big saves already this season and it's not affected the result. 

Grays goal is one of those ones where you look it and it's a great run especially considering the time of the game. Just pace and stamina to go past everyone and then kept composed to finish at the second time of asking. It's also absolutely horrific defending and he doesn't have to do anything to beat anyone except just run and then gets two chances to finish it. Naturally I'm going to look at it from the Dumbarton pov and it's a great goal and well deserved for a player who's been the type we've been missing for years.

Professional looking highlights package from Stenhousemuir. 

Were I a Warriors fan I'd be angry with the manager's post match interview. To say things like "we look a really bad team", "there's boys in there struggling psychologically" and "there's boys frustrated they can't get to their own levels their capable of" is atrocious, particularly 4 games into the league, especially when you've been tipped as a pre season title contender, but frankly atrocious comments for a manager to make at any time really. He's basically blamed the players for being shite, admitted he doesn't know why they've lost several games and he doesn't know what to do to fix it. Shambles. Fingers crossed he keeps his job.

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

Not for me. He's being real. I really like that about Iain to be honest he wears his heart on his sleeve and is a very decent guy.

Swift will know himself this isn't good enough so a one liner from the chairman on Twitter is the least of his worries.

He may be a great guy and he may be real but I’m not sure firing out post match tweets publicly criticising the team and management is the way forward for the chairman of an SPFL club tbh, it’s just a bit amateur. If he isn’t bagging the gaffer after that then it’s a bold move. Bit of a shift from the #ouryear stuff that was getting farted all over the place a mere few weeks ago, that’s for sure.

Finlay Gray’s goal from our point of view was tremendous but from a Stenny point of view that is absolutely horrendous stuff, the players looked like they couldn’t even be arsed attempting to challenge him. He just breezed by those players like they weren’t even there. I’m also delighted to see big McNiff get on the scoresheet - I thought he came in for a bit of unfair stick after the Raith game and by all accounts he’s barely put a foot wrong at left back so far. I have no doubt his presence in the back 4 is a big factor in us looking more solid. 

The main credit goes to Farrell for me, it’s very early doors and we all know what happened after a few bad results last season but thus far he appears to have rectified the serious flaws in our squad. I can’t remember a Sons manager who was so roundly written off by so many bouncing back like this.

He may be a great guy and he may be real but I’m not sure firing out post match tweets publicly criticising the team and management is the way forward for the chairman of an SPFL club tbh, it’s just a bit amateur. If he isn’t bagging the gaffer after that then it’s a bold move. Bit of a shift from the #ouryear stuff that was getting farted all over the place a mere few weeks ago, that’s for sure.
Finlay Gray’s goal from our point of view was tremendous but from a Stenny point of view that is absolutely horrendous stuff, the players looked like they couldn’t even be arsed attempting to challenge him. He just breezed by those players like they weren’t even there. I’m also delighted to see big McNiff get on the scoresheet - I thought he came in for a bit of unfair stick after the Raith game and by all accounts he’s barely put a foot wrong at left back so far. I have no doubt his presence in the back 4 is a big factor in us looking more solid. 
The main credit goes to Farrell for me, it’s very early doors and we all know what happened after a few bad results last season but thus far he appears to have rectified the serious flaws in our squad. I can’t remember a Sons manager who was so roundly written off by so many bouncing back like this.
Iain has always been fairly vocal on twitter, there would be no issue if he applauded performances when good so no reason should always be one way. He often comes into wee bar and is always open & frank about things & putting out a fairly timid but granted telling message to let fans know it's not acceptable is way better than radio silence.

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

You're entitled to your opinion but you're just a little off the mark. Whether he "bags the gaffer" is pretty irrelevant really in relation to a post match tweet stating the absolute obvious that yesterday wasn't good enough. Mountain being made out of a molehill but each to their own.

The embarrassing hashtag you refer to was posted by an over exuberant media team and was not posted by the chairman and pretty much any level headed fan I know found it embarrassing so to say it was getting farted out all over the place is just not true really. 

8 hours ago, Neilly said:

Two of that top four gained promotion (three of them were top four) and the bottom team got relegated so although I can see your point it doesn't really stand up here. Dumbarton were certainly the anomaly and never likely to remain at the top end of that league with the squad they had.

This isn't an over reaction unfortunately when you are watching it every week. I am probably among the more optimistic of our support and have backed the manager more than most but we are having a mirror image of last season's opening gambit and it's completely unacceptable considering the squad we have put together. We should actually be on zero points after four games in all honesty.

You say unacceptable with the squad you have.  Who would you say are good players?  Not fishing here either but I dont think the team looks anything special?  

Forbes and wedderburn are mince, brennan will cost you at least ten goals.  We know this from experience.  From reading on here yous rate the lad oreilly but he didn't really do anything yesterday bar the goal.

Your man fabregas said yesterday our central defenders are limited, what does that say about your strikers?  They never got a sniff of a sniff yesterday.

Someone told me about Brysons wage too, not sure i believe them, the figure quoted was unreal.