Rest in Peace Scottish football

3 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

I'd celebrate the success of the team I support, but I wouldn't treat it as a personal accomplishment.

You only answered part of the question, why do fans lose their shit when their team scores a goal in the same way the actual team on the park does? You personally haven't played a part but yet you celebrate just like the guy and the team that scored it

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You only answered part of the question, why do fans lose their shit when their team scores a goal in the same way the actual team on the park does? You personally haven't played a part but yet you celebrate just like the guy and the team that scored it

Sports fans who have an affinity with an athlete or team experience their success or failures vicariously. There is also the tribal aspect of the "us" vs "them" nature of competitive sport which is exciting. At the end of day though, it's still a second hand experience.

1 minute ago, EpicMike said:

Sports fans who have an affinity with an athlete or team experience their success or failures vicariously. There is also the tribal aspect of the "us" vs "them" nature of competitive sport which is exciting. At the end of day though, it's still a second hand experience.

But still has the same neurochemical effect as if you done it yourself in terms of a serotonin injection to make you feel happy

The truth is we already give back to Scottish football through carrying the coefficient on our backs & giving opportunities to more clubs that they wouldn't have without us. It's then down to the other clubs what they do with those opportunities & whether they can maximise it or not.
To say though that we need to share the income that we generate with you though is absolutely mental. We're in direct competition with you ffs. [emoji23][emoji2356] 

You really believe this heap of shite, don’t you?
You really are that dumb/blind/blinkered/moronic/facile and probably bigoted as well.

You rode on the cost-tails of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.’s European successes in the 80’s when you and your bigoted twin were shite, and then financially doped your way to create a duopoly.

Come back when you stop being so silly. FFS *old firm* fans really are deliberate thick at times.

24 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

But still has the same neurochemical effect as if you done it yourself in terms of a serotonin injection to make you feel happy

Disagree there. It's a very different feeling to personal accomplishments where success or failure is in your own hands.

3 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

Disagree there. It's a very different feeling to personal accomplishments where success or failure is in your own hands.

Happy is happy mate, you may feel more happy if you achieve something personally but the feeling comes from the exact same place

2 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

I don't actually think the joy football can provide is entirely vicarious.

When it goes well, I'm pleased more for me than I am for the players or manager.  It's probably not entirely rational, but I have on rare occasions felt a sort of personal pride in seeing Queens or Scotland do well, even though it's had sod all to do with me and would have happened in much the same way had I not survived infancy.

However, that pride, or even pleasure is utterly dependent on context, and the nature of any 'achievement'.  The idea of getting a kick out of seeing your team hammer a demonstrably weaker one with far fewer resources, totally baffles me.

I suppose Hearts' Championship win of 20/21 is a window into what it's like to be an OF supporter.

We expected to win it. Everybody else expected us to win it. It became clear very early that we were miles better than everyone else and we were going to win it comfortably. It became just a dull procession of results leading to an inevitable, and pretty joyless, conclusion.

For Hearts, it was a necessary job to get done. But would I f**k be paying money to watch Hearts do that season after season.

That's what OF fans do every season. I can't get my head around it.

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I suppose Hearts' Championship win of 20/21 is a window into what it's like to be an OF supporter.

We expected to win it. Everybody else expected us to win it. It became clear very early that we were miles better than everyone else and we were going to win it comfortably. It became just a dull procession of results leading to an inevitable, and pretty joyless, conclusion.

For Hearts, it was a necessary job to get done. But would I f**k be paying money to watch Hearts do that season after season.

Sounds absolutely shite doesn’t it. Knowing you have at worst a 50% chance of winning the league and at least 1 cup very season. How can you get yourself up for that? Paying money for that seems quite mental. 

Old Firm fans will never, ever understand how hollow their league title wins are. It’s one of the least impressive feats in all of sport, never mind football. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Paying money for that seems quite mental.

This is the bit I just don't understand. I don't know what a Rangers or Celtic season ticket costs, but I'm going to guess it's not nothing. And they're just constantly turning up to watch games where the outcome is completely obvious.

It's an incredible way to spend hundreds of pounds every year.

55 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

This is the bit I just don't understand. I don't know what a Rangers or Celtic season ticket costs, but I'm going to guess it's not nothing. And they're just constantly turning up to watch games where the outcome is completely obvious.

It's an incredible way to spend hundreds of pounds every year.

I’ve long suspected that it’s actually the people that follow really small clubs like East Stirlingshire that have the most fun

24 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We sort of saw this during the Banter years. Celtic were coasting the League but Celtic Park was half empty because there was no Rangers to make it interesting.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Old Firm fans will never, ever understand how hollow their league title wins are. It’s one of the least impressive feats in all of sport, never mind football. 

Diddy club fans will never, ever understand how amazing it feels to see your club winning the league, playing great football, creating history & era's, dominating your rivals, competing against (and sometimes beating) the best clubs in the world etc etc etc

It's magical being a Celtic fan. Who says the titles are hollow? You? Or the others actually spending time debating whether or not you're allowed to be happy when your team score?! GIFUY! 😂

Plus you watched it all from home for the true experience

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Sounds absolutely shite doesn’t it. Knowing you have at worst a 50% chance of winning the league and at least 1 cup very season. How can you get yourself up for that? Paying money for that seems quite mental. 

I really feel for Celtic.  They pump United 9-0 away from home, they top the Scottish Premiership after five straight wins, and yet they're not even the only senior club with a 100% record.

18 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

We sort of saw this during the Banter years. Celtic were coasting the League but Celtic Park was half empty because there was no Rangers to make it interesting.

Yip, which is why the duopoly itself is the problem.

It provides just enough of a 'challenge', to let them bask in any triumphs, because they've put one over on their sister club.  It also allows the media to tell us it's intriguing.  

Just having one of them wouldn't be as bad, as we got to see for a short while.  Two of them, however, just kills it. Having both in the CL makes it yet worse.

Celtic were the only other club to be negatively affected by the demise of Rangers. Their crowds were plummeting, they were getting embarrassed in Europe and we even have them a couple of title races well into Spring with a threadbare squad. They were going through the motions and it took them losing to Rangers in the Scottish Cup and the perceived threat of them entering the league for their board to wake up and appoint Rodgers.

Had we gone longer without a team called Rangers in the top league then it would have interesting to see if the gap closed any further. The two of them need each other to survive, without each other they serve no purpose.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’ve long suspected that it’s actually the people that follow really small clubs like East Stirlingshire that have the most fun

I think yes and no. I've got a couple of good mates who are home and away regulars at Clyde. A lot of their experience of going to the fitba seems miles more fun than being a top-flight club fan. They get to go to better grounds (in my opinion, anyway), there's a different kind of community about it, it's a bit cheaper, they get decent variety, it's generally competitive and interesting.

But this week one of them was pointing out to me that they'll never go in a group of thousands of Clyde fans to see their team at Fiorentina. They never get to go and sit in an away end at a big derby with the best part of 4,000 behind the goal at Easter Road. They don't go to cup finals with 20-odd thousand fans supporting their team etc.

I suppose the grass is always greener etc.

Edited by VincentGuerin

42 minutes ago, HailHailHayley said:

Diddy club fans will never, ever understand how amazing it feels to see your club winning the league, playing great football, creating history & era's, dominating your rivals, competing against (and sometimes beating) the best clubs in the world etc etc etc

It's magical being a Celtic fan. Who says the titles are hollow? You? Or the others actually spending time debating whether or not you're allowed to be happy when your team score?! GIFUY! 😂

Are you really a celtic fan?