How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

There are only two 'diddy' clubs in Scotland - Glasgow Celtic & Glasgow Rangers.  It is on them and them alone that the Scottish top flight is a pointless joke of a 'competition'. 

I’d say it’s on the mindset of guys in Fraserburgh who get on a supporters bus every second weekend, which drives by Peterhead, Aberdeen, Montrose, Arbroath, 2 clubs in Dundee etc., probably pay an extra grand over their season ticket price at least and then try to justify it with the standard OF fan trope of a family connection to Glasgow playbook.

It is not unique to our country to have a sizeable glory hunting element. What is unique is the political and religious cancer that gets a guy in Fort William doing a 6 hour round trip to watch his team do the equivalent of nutmegging a wean at a family BBQ and celebrating like he kippered Messi.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Too many Diddy clubs, that's the problem. An Edinburgh United could challenge for the league and a Dundee City would do better than two yo yos from a small city. Even Falkirk has two teams! 

One team per city and regional teams for Fife, Lanarkshire, Forth Valley etc. And colts in the proper league. All with big out of town stadia with ample parking. 

Scottish football needs to modernise and not keep looking back. 

A couple of people must have had a sarcasm by pass.

Imagine the powerhouse Aberdeen would become if the Dons, Cove Rangers, Banks o' Dee and Sunnybank amalgamated?

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sneakiest solution to Aberdeen's stadium woes and Cove's relegation woes I've seen yet.

No fool me. I believe Cormack is seriously considering this scenario.

0_Fp0-K_MWcAIJCsCjpeg.jpg

29 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I’d say it’s on the mindset of guys in Fraserburgh who get on a supporters bus every second weekend, which drives by Peterhead, Aberdeen, Montrose, Arbroath, 2 clubs in Dundee etc., probably pay an extra grand over their season ticket price at least and then try to justify it with the standard OF fan trope of a family connection to Glasgow playbook.

It is not unique to our country to have a sizeable glory hunting element. What is unique is the political and religious cancer that gets a guy in Fort William doing a 6 hour round trip to watch his team do the equivalent of nutmegging a wean at a family BBQ and celebrating like he kippered Messi.

That's an absolutely superb analogy, and one I'm happily stealing.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I also think diddy clubs should be growing a backbone and enforcing a policy where their new signings agree they can't make a switch to the either of the Old Firm. If the club makes it perfectly clear to a new signing that 'if a team from England or abroad is interested and you want to speak to them, we won't stand in your way but you cannot join Celtic or Rangers from us whilst under contract' - it might help? I'm not sure if it would work in practise but it could be one way of stopping the OF from strengthening while simultaneously weakening the opposition. 

There is a away to do this but in reverse.

Stop taking loans form these two clubs and also don't sign away player for a period of say up to 2 years after they have last played for either of those two clubs

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I cant see many, if any, players agreeing to that.

You might we even encourage more young players to join them at youth level too, if they thought that was their only chance of playing for either.

If they knew by playing for either of those teams they either had to make the first team or be out of football for at least 2 years how many would risk it.

28 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

There is a away to do this but in reverse.

Stop taking loans form these two clubs and also don't sign away player for a period of say up to 2 years after they have last played for either of those two clubs

If they knew by playing for either of those teams they either had to make the first team or be out of football for at least 2 years how many would risk it.

Pretty sure that wouldn't be legal

51 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Probably a depressing amount.

Theres plenty of 14/15/16yo players who move to Celtic/Rangers from other Scottish clubs even though it pushes their development pathway back.

Bailey Rice a decent example. 16yo and likely he could break in at Motherwell before hes 18. Instead he jumped ship to Rangers with the knowledge its going to push that back a few years. I know hes already played for Rangers briefly, but an actual breakthrough will be a lot further on.

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Pretty sure that wouldn't be legal

In what way would it not be legal

If a club chose not to respond to a request to take a player on loan or decided not to sign a player for reasons of his past , they just wont sign them.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think we need to lose the idea, genuinely, that a more egalitarian game would be vastly more commercially successful than what we have just now.  

It wouldn't make more money overall.  It's just that the money would be more fairly distributed and people like us, with a genuine stake in it rather than a fleeting interest, would like it better.  

Arguing that a more balanced landscape would be better for Sky or whatever, is to miss the point and is actually probably mistaken.

The modern version of football, with all its hideous inequalities at home and abroad, is more commercially attractive and lucrative than it ever was when winners were more varied.  

I don't want the game to make more money.  I'd be very happy indeed for it to make much less, if it was divided and used in a fairer way. 

Any hints on when football in Scotland was ever egalitarian?

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Same sovereign.

But I forgot.  Dossers have little experience of away wins

So ….. different country aye? Usurper coup ….. when you read it’s history, it’s enough to make your heart go sad.

330 years on and still flagging that horse. But you can’t work out why the rest of us think you’re both fucking roasters.

5 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I also think diddy clubs should be growing a backbone and enforcing a policy where their new signings agree they can't make a switch to the either of the Old Firm. If the club makes it perfectly clear to a new signing that 'if a team from England or abroad is interested and you want to speak to them, we won't stand in your way but you cannot join Celtic or Rangers from us whilst under contract' - it might help? I'm not sure if it would work in practise but it could be one way of stopping the OF from strengthening while simultaneously weakening the opposition. 

This is what I was thinking the other day. I like it. 

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

So ….. different country aye? Usurper coup ….. when you read it’s history, it’s enough to make your heart go sad.

330 years on and still flagging that horse. But you can’t work out why the rest of us think you’re both fucking roasters.

If you want to argue the toss then don't make the poor apostrophe the victim.

As to "why the rest of us think you’re both fucking roasters" I see that.  Which is why I'm not defending the songs - just your ignorance.

As I said - it was all the same polity.