How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id worry bigger divisions would go stale really quickly.

A 14 team second tier would likely have about 18 teams just constantly recycling through it with ~9/10 being virtual mainstays who never go up or down, dependent on the size of the top flight which might make it even more stale. 

You'd play team less a season but youd be playing the same teams literally every season.

That’s not as bad imo, better than the scenarios where you could play teams 5/6/7 times in one season

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The Caley played Alloa 7 times in one season a few years back.  Horrendous.

And i agree the 10 team leagues need chucked.  That's far too small for a domestic competition.

31 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

More than half the top divisions in Europe contain 8, 10 or 12 teams.

Looking at the current 10 team leagues as mentioned by TheScarf - 7 out of the current 18 leagues of 10 or less are countries that formed part of the Soviet Union.  I wonder what an old Soviet league table actually looked like?

By my calculation there are 18 leagues of 10 or less and 37 of 12 or more out of the 55 UEFA member countries - yes that’s how bored I am 🤣

I don't mind the 12 team league currently tbh. The 10 team leagues below are too small though. The play offs were long over due but I do find it strange that you can come 4th out of 10 teams and still potentially get promoted.

The current set-up is about as good as it's going to get. People will moan whatever the arrangement is.

Football is a competition and our current set-up makes it as competitive as it can be in Scotland. A division of 18 would be fucking depressingly dull. I like the split. It adds interest, and we see this every season. I like the play-off systems we have. I'd just make the relegation from League 2 automatic.

I love away trips, and the variety of aways would be nice. But most fans don't go to away days, and I reckon your average Hearts ST holder would take the hump with a derby, 2xOF, and Aberdeen replaced by Morton, ICT, Thistle, and Raith.

Crowds are pretty good across the board. Do we reckon they'd go up if we had fewer big games and a bigger mid table? Fantasy Land stuff.

Also, I find this clamour for a bigger league something I only really see online or when speaking to a fan of a lower league club. In real life I hardly ever encounter anyone in favour of it.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The current set-up is about as good as it's going to get. People will moan whatever the arrangement is.

Football is a competition and our current set-up makes it as competitive as it can be in Scotland. A division of 18 would be fucking depressingly dull.

I love away trips, and the variety of aways would be nice. But most fans don't go to away days, and I reckon your average Hearts ST holder would take the hump with a derby, 2xOF, and Aberdeen replaced by Morton, ICT, Thistle, and Raith.

Crowds are pretty good across the board. Do we reckon they'd go up if we had fewer big games and a bigger mid table? Fantasy Land stuff.

Also, I find this clamour for a bigger league something I only really see online or when speaking to a fan of a lower league club. In real life I hardly ever encounter anyone in favour of it.

You can add me to the “in favour” list (appreciate I’m online but if you wanted to meet up, say this coming Wednesday for dinner, I could give you the same answers in person).

What I don’t understand is why don’t we just try something different. We could try to increase the league sizes for a decade and if it’s clear it doesn’t work then we could change back.

I don’t understand anyone who wouldn’t want to try something drastically different.

25 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

That’s not as bad imo, better than the scenarios where you could play teams 5/6/7 times in one season

I dunno, tbh, it would definitely hinge on how big you want the top flight to be.

Just now the Championship can churn through a fair number of teams and switch up a lot with some "bigger" teams both dropping into it and down out of it.

Making 2 top divisions of 16 clubs would be brutal and after 5/6 years people would be bored of it too.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

You can add me to the “in favour” list (appreciate I’m online but if you wanted to meet up, say this coming Wednesday for dinner, I could give you the same answers in person).

What I don’t understand is why don’t we just try something different. We could try to increase the league sizes for a decade and if it’s clear it doesn’t work then we could change back.

I don’t understand anyone who wouldn’t want to try something drastically different.

To what end? What do you hope to achieve?

Crowds are good, and interest is probably at its maximum level.

So, what would this change be for?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

To what end? What do you hope to achieve?

Crowds are good, and interest is probably at its maximum level.

So, what would this change be for?

To stop the league being boring as f**k.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

fd98b92114738d9ee9dd019e1c7410c5_w200.gi

Pro clubs are multi-million £ businesses reliant on gate receipts and TV money (both at historic highs btw). Why would they make such gambles let alone for 10yrs? What is necessitating going "drastically different"?

2 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

How?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I don't think it is as boring as f**k.

At the moment we have a genuine title race. We have about 3/4 of the league who could still qualify for Europe. We're going to have at least 2/3 very disappointed clubs missing out on the top 6, and we've got probably a third of the league in relegation bother. Even Hearts, well clear in third, are catchable precisely because they still have a lot of tough games to go.

Then we get to the Championship where literally every team can still quite feasibly be playing in a different division next season.

You can argue the quality is shite, but it's not boring.

And how, exactly, does a bigger league make it more exciting? Killie won't suddenly be able to challenge for the title.

And if anyone things a bigger division will improve the quality of football, I'd like to direct you to the English Leagues One and Two. Horrific.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

fd98b92114738d9ee9dd019e1c7410c5_w200.gi

Pro clubs are multi-million £ businesses reliant on gate receipts and TV money (both at historic highs btw). Why would they make such gambles let alone for 10yrs? What is necessitating going "drastically different"?

How?

Here I didn’t say I had all the answers. I’m an amateur when it comes to league organisation and TV deals.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think it is as boring as f**k.

At the moment we have a genuine title race. We have about 3/4 of the league who could still qualify for Europe. We're going to have at least 2/3 very disappointed clubs missing out on the top 6, and we've got probably a third of the league in relegation bother. Even Hearts, well clear in third, are catchable precisely because they still have a lot of tough games to go.

Then we get to the Championship where literally every team can still quite feasibly be playing in a different division next season.

You can argue the quality is shite, but it's not boring.

And how, exactly, does a bigger league make it more exciting? Killie won't suddenly be able to challenge for the title.

And if anyone things a bigger division will improve the quality of football, I'd like to direct you to the English Leagues One and Two. Horrific.

All of the above are very good points. Personally I’m totally bored by the current set up. Especially the 3 or 4 games a season.

All of the above are very good points. Personally I’m totally bored by the current set up. Especially the 3 or 4 games a season.

Fair doooos. I'm not sure that you wouldn't be bored after 4-5 years of an 18-team league, though.

Here I didn’t say I had all the answers. I’m an amateur when it comes to league organisation and TV deals.

Celtic + Rangers would still run away with big league. Hearts + Hibs + Aberdeen already drop more points v the rest than OF do. However as % it'll hit their income harder. Plus you've replaced split/relegation/promotion/etc. with "meaningless mid-table".

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Fair doooos. I'm not sure that you wouldn't be bored after 4-5 years of an 18-team league, though.

Might well be but as an almost 40 year old I’ve never known anything different and I’m pretty sick of it.

I don’t even mind the quality of football or anything like that. I think for me it is literally just boredom with the status quo.

Give me an 18 team league even with 4 up / 4 down or anything to make it……..well……different.