Edinburgh City vs Peterhead

On 10/09/2022 at 01:04, tamthebam said:

It was. Edinburgh City were called Edinburgh City 

Enough churlishness. Apart from Hampden was Meadowbank the only other Scottish football ground our Lizzie appeared at?

She opened the Commonwealth Games at Parkhead, did she not?

Peterhead weren't great on Saturday but had three chances and scored two, so fair play. The number 11 is quite a handful so this might be quite a tight game given Edinburgh don't seem to be as good as they are away?

I'll be there tonight. First game in a wee while, not remotely helped by the game being cancelled at the beginning of September and the the team having 4 away games on the spin right enough. Dare I say that I'm actually looking forward to it... 

It's such a huge shame that a big chunk of the fan base have walked after the summer's decisions, that said, I totally get it and understand why. It's made worse by the fact that the lads on the pitch are a good side and worth watching, favourites for the drop yet could go top tonight.

Edinburgh's only victory against Peterhead was actually at Balmoor on 1st September 2018 with Blair Henderson getting the goal. They've never actually beaten Peterhead in a home fixture! Hopefully that changes this evening.

5 hours ago, Pete83 said:

It's such a huge shame that a big chunk of the fan base have walked after the summer's decisions, that said, I totally get it and understand why. It's made worse by the fact that the lads on the pitch are a good side and worth watching, favourites for the drop yet could go top tonight.

Good on you for going along tonight. 

I was interested to see a Chairman's statement pop up on my Facebook feed in the last hour. While he rightly commends the team, Chairman Jim says "Off the field, admittedly it has been hard few months. The supporter experience at Meadowbank has been our biggest issue". No mention of the change of name, tacky badge. and scores of long standing fans walking away. The underlying message to me is that the Club accept that old supporters won't return, and are past caring. 

Edited by RubyTuesday

Not much to say about that game.  Just a case of waiting on the first goal coming (which you always felt it would) and closing out the win for another three points.

Should be a much tougher test on Saturday against Kelty, but for the moment we'll just enjoy being on top! 👍

4 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

I was interested to see a Chairman's statement pop up on my Facebook feed in the last hour. While he rightly commends the team, Chairman Jim says "Off the field, admittedly it has been hard few months. The supporter experience at Meadowbank has been our biggest issue". No mention of the change of name, tacky badge. and scores of long standing fans walking away. The underlying message to me is that the Club accept that old supporters won't return, and are past caring. 

From what I hear it's just Tom Tracey's plaything these days.

Blobby Mark II. And that didn't end well.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

From what I hear it's just Tom Tracey's plaything these days.

Why would that be such a bad thing to have a guy with a bit of cash in charge of your club?  (Better than being skint really)

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Blobby Mark II. And that didn't end well.

First of all there's NO comparison between that Livingston move and what we have now!..... None.

Blobby shut down Meadowbank Thistle and moved away and started a new club in Livi.

Here, we have the exactly the same club, and who in fact, have returned "home",  or at least where "home" used to be, which is what all the supporters club WANTED to happen!  OK slight name change which  is poor,  but it's still the same players that got us promoted and now back "home" as well.   Mostly all good, or intentions were good, and a team moving in the right direction.  👍

Just now, Tenkay said:

Why would that be such a bad thing to have a guy with a bit of cash in charge of your club?  (Better than being skint really)

First of all there's NO comparison between that Livingston move and what we have now!..... None.

Blobby shut down Meadowbank Thistle and moved away and started a new club in Livi.

Here, we have the exactly the same club, and who in fact, have returned "home",  or at least where "home" used to be, which is what all the supporters club WANTED to happen!  OK slight name change which  is poor,  but it's still the same players that got us promoted and now back "home" as well.   Mostly all good, or intentions were good, and a team moving in the right direction.  👍

You'll see....

Here, we have the exactly the same club, and who in fact, have returned "home",  or at least where "home" used to be, which is what all the supporters club WANTED to happen!  OK slight name change which  is poor,  but it's still the same players that got us promoted and now back "home" as well.   Mostly all good, or intentions were good, and a team moving in the right direction.  [emoji106]

I’m delighted with the result tonight but it would have meant so much more if the club had spent a few days consulting with the supporters club before making major pre-season changes which could have taken most of the existing support along with us.
I might not fully agree with Tam’s viewpoint but his criticism of the club as a ‘plaything’ is still valid while there’s no fan representation at the club. If his interest drops where does that leave the club financially?

Here, we have the exactly the same club, and who in fact, have returned "home",  or at least where "home" used to be, which is what all the supporters club WANTED to happen!  OK slight name change which  is poor,  but it's still the same players that got us promoted and now back "home" as well.   Mostly all good, or intentions were good, and a team moving in the right direction.  [emoji106]

Wow. What happens when it is no longer his play thing?

Remember Gretna? And just watch Kelty…

Took this game in last night. Not the most entertaining game I've ever been to but I think it's fair to say it was a bit of a stroll for the home side. I can't remember Robbie Mutch have a save of note to make because Lee Hamilton and Liam Fontaine dealt with Peterhead any time they moseyed forward. Allan Delferriere was the best player on the park and the way he carries himself and moves the ball around is impressive. FC Edinburgh didn't really create much themselves but the introduction of John Robertson midway through the second half gave them the jag they needed.

Peterhead were largely competitive but never really looked like scoring. Without a proper striker, their forward play was limited and easy to defend against.

The main reason I attended the match was to experience Meadowbank Stadium. It is, without a doubt, the worst ground I've ever been to. I arrived a couple of minutes after the kick-off and spent the first half sitting in the front row. The perimeter fence is a perpetual nuisance and it's difficult to tell what's going on when the ball is over the far side. I sat in the second row in the second half and things are a little better, but not by much. Goodness knows how the Falkirk and Dunfermline Athletic fans will get on when they return on a dismal January afternoon. I appreciate everyone associated with the club is embarrassed with the current circumstances (and it sounds as though Edinburgh Council have been a nightmare to deal with) and they're working to rectify the situation but Meadowbank Stadium unacceptable to watch football in, especially when entrance fee is £18.

A damn shame as well give how incredible their start to the season has been!

12 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Not much to say about that game.  Just a case of waiting on the first goal coming (which you always felt it would) and closing out the win for another three points.

Should be a much tougher test on Saturday against Kelty, but for the moment we'll just enjoy being on top! 👍

It's funny as we said the same as well. "The goal is coming, the goal is coming" - took 83 minutes and appeared to happen due to Peterhead pushing forward in the last 15 to try and nick the 3 points and getting caught on the counter.

Kelty will be a much tougher test, however, they aren't likely to sit in - they'll come at Edinburgh and to a certain extent, that might help us.

16 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

Cheers Ruby.

I wasn't surprised that they didn't mention the change of name and badge as well as those who walked away. They will be hoping that goes away through time, and it's not something they will be going back on either in my opinion. I cannot see Jim being able to go freestyle in whatever the official media channel's release with his name next to it, given the chat about the owner basically making all the decisions.

I feel so bad for the long standing supporters who have gone for years and years, I speak to many of them and their feelings are understandable. On a personal level, I've not had years and years of my time invested in the club like some others - I just wanted to watch lower league football in my home City. Edinburgh are the only alternative if you grew tired of the monotony of a 2 horse race the past 35 years at the top end.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You'll see....

Could you elaborate on that, Tam? (Genuinely interested, not being a cheeky bugger 😆).

Are you privy to inside knowledge that all won't end well for the club, or is this just a hunch based on the Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston debacle back in the 90's? Or is the club ripe for an Airdrie United/Jim Ballantyne type situation where Tom cashes in his chips and the club is gone?

We did ok for about 80mins but as has happened lots of times to us when we lose the ball up the other end we either dont have enough pace to cover a breakaway  or leave ourselves to open & lose a goal. We did close down better last night but need to do it in packs. Our lack of a real threat up front does not help just now either. As for the Meadowbank experience dont think it will ever be a good place to watch football only about 250 at the game so plenty premier seats available but not view with the track etc. Its all clean & toilets & burger van ok with a small crowd. Parking at the ground seems very very restricted had to go across to McDonalds for a space apparently the council want to encourage walking or public transport which is all well and good if local. The team look competent & should not have to worry about  play-offs either end of table 

1 hour ago, Pete83 said:

Could you elaborate on that, Tam? (Genuinely interested, not being a cheeky bugger 😆).

Are you privy to inside knowledge that all won't end well for the club, or is this just a hunch based on the Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston debacle back in the 90's? Or is the club ripe for an Airdrie United/Jim Ballantyne type situation where Tom cashes in his chips and the club is gone?

Well, put it this way- what's FC Edinburgh's two assets: the players and the League Place. 

Nothing to stop the club being flogged to, say, the owners of Open Goal Broomhill who would then get in the League. 

If I had a pound for every flash money man that had come into clubs big and small and left them in a mess then I'd have enough money for a pint and a poke of chips. And there were no flash chancers when we were playing at Fernieside on a roped off pitch where you had to pick the dugshite off the park before you kicked off. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Well, put it this way- what's FC Edinburgh's two assets: the players and the League Place. 

Nothing to stop the club being flogged to, say, the owners of Open Goal Broomhill who would then get in the League. 

If I had a pound for every flash money man that had come into clubs big and small and left them in a mess then I'd have enough money for a pint and a poke of chips. And there were no flash chancers when we were playing at Fernieside on a roped off pitch where you had to pick the dugshite off the park before you kicked off. 

Thanks for the reply, Tam!

You are spot on about the assets, it really is the squad and league place. It would seem that it comes down to the aspirations and plans of a single fella - not an ideal set of circumstances, and as Bay Citizen pointed out, can make things a concern if the owner gets fed up.

It's why there should be some sort of supporter representation on all boards, shame there's not many candidates left at the club these days for that role, in the unlikely event it became available. 

Edited by Pete83