Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

NS - since returning to Embra - has been an absolute credit and, much as I dislike her politics, haven't a bad word to say about that.  She discharged her role as FM with class.
I was referring to her signing off the accession of Charles III at the Privy Council on Saturday.  I'd certainly not have put my signature to 'one monarch, one kingdom and one Protestant faith' and I'm surprised she did.  Her assent to these three principles is now part of Britain's archive.
More surprising is that none of the Nats on here - including you - have any issue with this.

Kingdom refers to the fact that the nations share one monarch, not that there is only 1 singular nation. There’s historical precedent for this, but you already know that.

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

There’s really nothing surprising here is there?  Absolute contempt for people who have given years of service.

That said I cannot find any sympathy for these toadies.  F*ck them.

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Kingdom refers to the fact that the nations share one monarch, not that there is only 1 singular nation. There’s historical precedent for this, but you already know that.

Yeah that was 1603 when we had one monarch and two kingdoms.

1707 changed that so we had one monarch and one kingdom - that of Great Britain.

You're not the only  one to get this wrong.  I heard a BBC commentator earlier saying that Her Majesty was, "leaving the kingdom of Scotland" for the last time.  Which is nonsense since it's been 315 years since Scotland has been a kingdom.

50 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

This, in addition to him appointing Camilla and Andrew as head “councillors of state” (to do nothing useful in his place when he’s on holiday), is magic.

King “trained from birth” Charlie already proving himself an absolute fucking liability.

Pleasing.

Moar!

36 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

1707 changed that so we had one monarch and one kingdom - that of Great Britain.

You're not the only  one to get this wrong.  I heard a BBC commentator earlier saying that Her Majesty was, "leaving the kingdom of Scotland" for the last time.  Which is nonsense since it's been 315 years since Scotland has been a kingdom.

Three. “We” had three kingdoms in 1603. There was no “one kingdom” in 1707 either. Ireland was a kingdom. It of course broke up the UK by gaining independence.

41 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Regarding succession claimants, there is a Jacobite candidate. Duke of Bavaria or something.

At least Liz is in London, now, home territory for the Beeb. No more silly Jock names to pronounce, no more pretending they give a toss about us.

An aggrieved Nat!!  Hoorah!!!!

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

An aggrieved Nat!!  Hoorah!!!!

There were quite a number of them in Treeza’s Tory party after the Brexit vote. You hoorahed your way all the way to the ballot box to cheer them on, so the consistency of celebrating “aggrieved nats” is noble.

You’re putting a lot of stock into the language of ancient scripture. What do you think the authors of the original act were referring to when writing “Kingdom”?

On 12/09/2022 at 13:03, lau03143 said:

As we move forward though, I think it's important from any government to review the role of Monarchy, whether that be Westminster or Holyrood, and I think any future vote on Independence, the any party taking part should clearly state in it's manifesto it's long term strategy on the Monarchy.

The entire partitionist campaign is to get it over the line then sort out the details.  Much like it was with Brexit.

They don't know how iJock will look but that isn't the point.  As long as they can ensure that a chap from Eyemouth has to cross an international border to go for his messages in Berwick then that's the job done.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

As long as they can ensure that a chap from Eyemouth has to cross an international border to go for his messages in Berwick then that's the job done.

Happens every minute in Ireland without a hitch, and in most of civilised Europe. England has chosen to erect borders with everyone, we want no part of it.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

The entire partitionist campaign is to get it over the line then sort out the details.  Much like it was with Brexit.

One difference between the two campaigning parties: you voted for one (the pro-partition party whose campaign ran on delivering a hard and ill-defined Brexit) and not the other.

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

You’re putting a lot of stock into the language of ancient scripture. What do you think the authors of the original act were referring to when writing “Kingdom”?

Hey my degree was in theology so I have experience of 'ancient scripture' and in trying (badly) to learn the Greek of the New Testament.  The AoU is absolutely nothing like 'ancient scripture' and the meaning is plain.  On April 30th 1707 we had two kingdoms:  SCO and ENG.  On May 1st 1707 we had one:  GB.

It isn't hard!

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Hey my degree was in theology so I have experience of 'ancient scripture' and in trying (badly) to learn the Greek of the New Testament.  The AoU is absolutely nothing like 'ancient scripture' and the meaning is plain.  On April 30th 1707 we had two kingdoms:  SCO and ENG.  On May 1st 1707 we had one:  GB.

It isn't hard!

No we didn’t - we had three. Ignoring Ireland doesn’t write it out of history.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Happens every minute in Ireland without a hitch, and in most of civilised Europe. England has chosen to erect borders with everyone, we want no part of it.

What?  Every minute in Ireland a new border is created?  I think not.

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

We don’t talk about Ireland. Last time it resulted in a demand that the cheeky Irish be forcibly repatriated under UK rule.

I see what you mean.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

What?  Every minute in Ireland a new border is created?  I think not.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It isn't hard!

I mean; is the "one kingdom" actually Great Britain or...?

3 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I mean; is the "one kingdom" actually Great Britain or...?

The AoU created one kingdom:  GB.

Edit:  As a sop to @Antlion - before the wee man has an aneurysm - Ireland was always a client state and didn't  become one kingdom with the rest of us until 1801.

Edited by The_Kincardine