The Mandela Effect

Hedgecutter

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Same. Not with all the detail but when it was announced he was dead my immediate thought was "I thought he died years ago".

Laurie Lee (who wrote "Cider with Rosie") once went back to the village where he grew up and was asked by some tourists where Laurie Lee was buried.

I have a vivid memory of one of my dad's old houses (he moved around a bit; nobody buys a second holiday home in Douglas, Dundee) being on a street corner.  I went there almost every second weekend for over a year during my early teens, so I really should know, but he informs me that it was midway along the street.  

Footballing one here. For years I had remembered the 2006 League Cup Final as Celtic 2-0 Kilmarnock. Not a big deal, that's just what I thought had happened. Vague memory of it being on in a pub or something.

Came up not that long ago in a conversation that Killie had lost two League Cup Finals in a row, 2006 to Celtic and 2007 to Hibs.

But it turns out Celtic beat Dunfermline 3-0 in the 2006 final.

So, Killie fans, you're welcome. I have dreamed up a cup run for you to retrospectively enjoy.

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 10/09/2022 at 15:00, Newbornbairn said:

The wife and I did a road trip once down the East Coast of the US. I remember miles and miles of the bluest skies in Georgia, passing huge cotton fields whilst we sang Proclaimers songs. Every time I remember it, my wife is sitting to my left. Except she couldn't have been because it was a left hand drive car and I was driving. 

She'd maybe got her sleeve caught in the door, and was desperately trying to keep pace.

13 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

I’m well aware GW cheese and onion were green; I’m saying Walkers are lying about their cheese and onion were also green.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not sure that they are.

Still as stuck as before, we're forced to grapple with the bulk of actual evidence: scraps of folk memory strewn around subreddits and the forums of Scottish football site pieandbovril.com. "I swear they were the other way round when I was a wean," says user BigFatTabbyDave, for instance, while Blootoon87 despairs: "I can't even trust my memories anymore."

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Still as stuck as before, we're forced to grapple with the bulk of actual evidence: scraps of folk memory strewn around subreddits and the forums of Scottish football site pieandbovril.com. "I swear they were the other way round when I was a wean," says user BigFatTabbyDave, for instance, while Blootoon87 despairs: "I can't even trust my memories anymore."

I don't remember saying that. It's like I've slipped into a parallel dimension!

Either P&B ended up on the first page of Google's search results again, or Augustine Cerf has been talking outside of school. And you know what we do with people who break rules 1 & 2.

(expect to see that quoted in an expose of internet bullying)

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I don't remember saying that. It's like I've slipped into a parallel dimension!

Either P&B ended up on the first page of Google's search results again, or Augustine Cerf has been talking outside of school. And you know what we do with people who break rules 1 & 2.

(expect to see that quoted in an expose of internet bullying)

Here's where I found it  -

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3a8mzy/walkers-crisps-switch-colour-packet

A weird one without the geography to back it up, but I worked in Cardiff for 3 years. I had a great mental image of the city and how to get from one place to the next. I could walk anywhere in the city centre as I just knew it.

Went back about 10 years later. Drove in to the city and got lost. I spent ages convinced that they had moved the roads. But no, the years had just changed the street layouts in my mind.

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A weird one without the geography to back it up, but I worked in Cardiff for 3 years. I had a great mental image of the city and how to get from one place to the next. I could walk anywhere in the city centre as I just knew it.

Went back about 10 years later. Drove in to the city and got lost. I spent ages convinced that they had moved the roads. But no, the years had just changed the street layouts in my mind.

I had that when returning to my home town after fifteen years had passed. I knew all the landmarks, but they'd linked them all together in new, unnatural ways, while also keeping the old road names.

I decided not to return until they'd put everything back the way I left it. Still no reply from the council; typical.

With the chat about the CL anthem not being played at any of the British teams games this game week due to it being a rip off of Zadok the Priest I've realised that I have a Mandela Effect memory of the actual Handel Zadok the Priest being used as the original CL music for the first few seasons and it then being replaced with the rip off version that they now have.  It turns out that this never happened and it has always been the rip off version

20 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

With the chat about the CL anthem not being played at any of the British teams games this game week due to it being a rip off of Zadok the Priest I've realised that I have a Mandela Effect memory of the actual Handel Zadok the Priest being used as the original CL music for the first few seasons and it then being replaced with the rip off version that they now have.  It turns out that this never happened and it has always been the rip off version

When the Champions League first started, I remember wondering where I knew the music from, so it's nice to have that answered after, what, thirty fucking years?  :lol:

Presumably UEFA wanted their own version so they could copyright it and make bank. Poor Handel, missing out on that sweet co-writing credit due to being irredeemably deceased  :(