What game(s) that you missed would you want to see?

We've all missed games we wished we saw.

So, for your own club, for your country and one other game of your choice, what games do you wish you were at?

Club: Either of the cup wins would be amazing, but I have to go for our win at Tannadice in April 96. I was only 10 so couldn't attend, but for me and many Pars fans it's an absolutely legendary game featuring an absolutely legendary team with, in my view, our most legendary manager in charge. That it was such a huge game (despite being in the First Division it was the feature match on Sportscene) with a sell out crowd, huge away support and full of drama sells it for me.

It was the penultimate game of the First Division 95/96 and Dundee United led the league by a single point over us. Victory would have won them the title that day. They had a ludicrous squad for that level (Craig Brewster, Christian Dailly, Steven Pressley, Maurice Malpas, Owen Coyle, Gary McSwegan, Billy McKinley, Andy McLaren, Robbie Winters, Paddy Connelly, David Hannah, Ray McKinnon, Ally Maxwell). 

Stewart Petrie scored early on due to a comical keeper/defender mix up. United had a few chances first half but did little. Second half we had a chance from Andy Smith that went narrowly over. Then Petrie was sent off. From then United absolutely hammered our goal. Dailly hit the bar twice. It was not to be for them, as we won and went top of the league. They drew with Morton the week after so we won the league in front of circa 13,000 at East End where we won against Airdrie (which I was at), so went up as champions. They beat Partick in the playoffs to also go up. But Tannadicd 96 would be my pick. Just incredible scenes in one of our most memorable seasons. The tension of holding on second half when wave after wave of attacks came at us would have been immense, but the joy at full time would have been unreal. The footage still gives me goosebumps. Paton raising a fist to the crowd is electric. Kirkwood slithering down the tunnel is always amusing. The entire side of the stadium given over the Pars support looks incredible.

Also, two current League 1 managers played in that game. Can you name them?

Country: There's been loads as I don't get to many Scotland matches. In fact I haven't been to one in years! Quite a few candidates, like beating France home and away, the game that never was in Estonia, beating England in 99, Ukraine in 2007 at Hampden and many more, but I'd have to go with Brazil at France 98, just for the occasion.

Other: So many to pick from! France vs Italy World Cup Final. Motherwell 6-6 Hibs. Brazil 1-7 Germany. These stand out, along with many others. But I have to go with Manchester United 4-3 Real Madrid in 2003. The Real team had some of my all time favourite players (especially Zidane and Ronaldo, although Figo, Roberto Carlos, van Nistelrooy, Raul, Scholes and Giggs were no bad) but in general it was such a tremendous game. It's what the Champions League should be, not what it is. I don't support either side (I don't have 'an English team' or indeed any other team) but it was just a sensation match. L

Club - I missed the dramatic penalty shootout game against Dundee United that saw us stay up, and Hladky stuffing the Arabs.

Country - nothing. Can’t think of anything that I could have been at but wasn’t, and wished I was.

Other - would love to have been at the 1970 World Cup Final between Brazil and Italy. I remember watching it on TV as a nine year old with my dad, on a TV in a holiday camp somewhere in England while on a family holiday. Way, way, back ‘in the day’.

Edited by pozbaird

Have been lucky enough to attend most great Hibee games since 1999.  2 Nil down at Tynie I would single out.   Missed the win over Rangers when Chris Killen scored the winner and 6-1 away to Motherwell.  Gave my season ticket to my brother the night we beat Livi 7-0 too as it was shite outside and I couldnt be arsed.

Country would have loved to have went to Scotlands wins over France and Wembley for the England game at the Euro's.

Away from that Man Utd 1999 in Barcelona or Liverpool in Istanbul.  Also would have love to have went to any of the massive Barca games from the 2008 period where they just destroyed everyone at ease. 

I was at that 96 game.  Bit of a damp squid for us.  With the benefit of hindsight though it worked out not too bad in the end.  Yeah winning the league at Tannadice would have been good but the drama of the play-off second leg against Thistle means the game you value so highly (understandably so) is probably a distant memory to many United fans.  In fact I had forgot about it.  Even reading your description of it still passed me by, although I do have a recollection of the papers being full of your manager giving it laldy at the final whistle.  The Thistle had it all, a mate leaving on the 90th minute as could not stomach watching Thistle fans celebrating, an equaliser at the death, the joy of actually being in the lead for the first time in over 180 minutes of football, a pitch invasion and a night out in Fat Sams dancing around a bit of turf.

Club...Gothenburg v United.  Yeah we lost but having witnessed the drubbing in Alkmaar and still not regretting going due to the amazing time we had I can only imagine how it must have felt going abroad to watch your team in a European final.  My boss would not let me off for the away leg but was still privileged to get the the return match at Tannadice, despite us losing over the two legs.

Country... Totally understand why you picked Brazil in France due to the occasion. I only got a ticket for the Norway game, left it relieved knowing at least we were still in it...then Morocco came calling.

I was at Ukraine 2007.  We were a team on a high back then, Hampden was jumping before kick-off and absolute bedlam by the full-time whistle.

I was at Wembley 99, again a bit of a damp squib due to not qualifying, atmosphere was amazing.  If Christian Dailly had headed it anywhere else other than straight at Seaman I honestly think we would have went on to qualify that night.    I was also at the home leg, had Paul Lambert been playing I doubt Scholes would have got such freedom.

I was torn between two games. Firstly France away.   I was at the home game and was all set to put £5 on 1-0 Scotland at 200/1 but my mate kyboshed it and the only bookie I passed was a local one and seeing it was a 5.30 kick off so I doubted I would have been able to collect my winning so passed up the chance.  When the tannoy announced the goalscorer I turned to my mate and told him he better hope somebody else scores...anyone!

I wanted to go to Paris and tried to convince my mate to make it a lads trip for his 40th but he thought we would never get tickets.  I said "It's Scotland, we will find tickets" but he stood fast. So we watched the game in his house.  To make matters worse I even missed Faddy's goal as was in the loo.  I thought they were winding me up then saw the replay as I walked back in the room.

Wembley 77 is my pick.  Back then that was THE game and I had suffered the 5-1 drubbing on TV 2 years before.  My dad brought me back turf (it seems everybody in Scotland has the a penalty spot from that game except me) and it is still in the garden.  My first Wembley trip was 79, not a great occasion although 81 kinda made up for it. Even looking back at the footage I am still envious.

Other...I know Liverpool fans get a bad rap on here from some but I have been to a Merseyside derby and was in Madrid and Paris when they played Spurs and Real Madrid respectively and have had a great time with them each time.  So for that reason I plumped for the CL final in Istanbul.  At half time I actually turned to my mate and asked what the odds were on 3-3 or 4-3 Liverpool and he just laughed. He was right to do so, Milan were so far ahead in that game being 3 up before the break (they had seen another chopped off) it was inconceivable they could lose.  I did the Annfield trophy room a few years after that and there was film of fans at the game and their personal experiences.  It really summed up the rollercoaster ride of being a football fan.

Apologies for the length but once you got me thinking my mind ran riot.

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Have been lucky enough to attend most great Hibee games since 1999.  2 Nil down at Tynie I would single out.   Missed the win over Rangers when Chris Killen scored the winner and 6-1 away to Motherwell.  Gave my season ticket to my brother the night we beat Livi 7-0 too as it was shite outside and I couldnt be arsed.

Country would have loved to have went to Scotlands wins over France and Wembley for the England game at the Euro's.

Away from that Man Utd 1999 in Barcelona or Liverpool in Istanbul.  Also would have love to have went to any of the massive Barca games from the 2008 period where they just destroyed everyone at ease. 

Was the 2 Nil down at Tynie game. Remember being absoutley seething and throwing toys out the pram we were 2-0 down at half time :lol:. Last 10 minutes was just mayhem. 

Club - The 3-2 game against Rangers at Ibrox the season after we got promoted. It was the first time we played  them since 21/05/16. Had a ticket for that but ended up giving it to my brother as I was away down south. 

Country - Scotland-France at Hampden when Caldwell scored

Other - Liverpool's comeback in the 2005 European Cup Final. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

As a Celtic fan who's been to almost all of the big games (and games in general) I'd probably have to say 3-2 at Ibrox when Edouard scored, never seen us win there. Another random one would be the New Year game at Tynecastle when McManus scored 2 very late goals.

Bit different but isolating for the Euros final last year so was watching it myself but would've been great to even see that with mates or in the pub.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Club - I missed the dramatic penalty shootout game against Dundee United that saw us stay up, and Hladky stuffing the Arabs.

haha that's a fond memory. Me and a mate just got tickets for that randomly but it was fun and the pitch invasion was a bonus at the end!

Dundee down 2-4 at Dens against Cologne in the old UEFA Cup in 1972 with 15/20 minutes to play, stormed back to win 5-4

I was at the '77 game at Hampden when we beat the Czechs 3-1 to qualify for the World Cup but I would love to have been at the '73 2-1 win, also against the Czechs, to qualify. Then again, I would have missed Arthur Montfords commentary. He's behind you Billy! 😁

The Brazil 70 team is burned in to my memory. 

Edited by rainbowrising

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

We've all missed games we wished we saw.

So, for your own club, for your country and one other game of your choice, what games do you wish you were at?

Club: Either of the cup wins would be amazing, but I have to go for our win at Tannadice in April 96. I was only 10 so couldn't attend, but for me and many Pars fans it's an absolutely legendary game featuring an absolutely legendary team with, in my view, our most legendary manager in charge. That it was such a huge game (despite being in the First Division it was the feature match on Sportscene) with a sell out crowd, huge away support and full of drama sells it for me.

It was the penultimate game of the First Division 95/96 and Dundee United led the league by a single point over us. Victory would have won them the title that day. They had a ludicrous squad for that level (Craig Brewster, Christian Dailly, Steven Pressley, Maurice Malpas, Owen Coyle, Gary McSwegan, Billy McKinley, Andy McLaren, Robbie Winters, Paddy Connelly, David Hannah, Ray McKinnon, Ally Maxwell). 

Stewart Petrie scored early on due to a comical keeper/defender mix up. United had a few chances first half but did little. Second half we had a chance from Andy Smith that went narrowly over. Then Petrie was sent off. From then United absolutely hammered our goal. Dailly hit the bar twice. It was not to be for them, as we won and went top of the league. They drew with Morton the week after so we won the league in front of circa 13,000 at East End where we won against Airdrie (which I was at), so went up as champions. They beat Partick in the playoffs to also go up. But Tannadicd 96 would be my pick. Just incredible scenes in one of our most memorable seasons. The tension of holding on second half when wave after wave of attacks came at us would have been immense, but the joy at full time would have been unreal. The footage still gives me goosebumps. Paton raising a fist to the crowd is electric. Kirkwood slithering down the tunnel is always amusing. The entire side of the stadium given over the Pars support looks incredible.

Also, two current League 1 managers played in that game. Can you name them?

Country: There's been loads as I don't get to many Scotland matches. In fact I haven't been to one in years! Quite a few candidates, like beating France home and away, the game that never was in Estonia, beating England in 99, Ukraine in 2007 at Hampden and many more, but I'd have to go with Brazil at France 98, just for the occasion.

Other: So many to pick from! France vs Italy World Cup Final. Motherwell 6-6 Hibs. Brazil 1-7 Germany. These stand out, along with many others. But I have to go with Manchester United 4-3 Real Madrid in 2003. The Real team had some of my all time favourite players (especially Zidane and Ronaldo, although Figo, Roberto Carlos, van Nistelrooy, Raul, Scholes and Giggs were no bad) but in general it was such a tremendous game. It's what the Champions League should be, not what it is. I don't support either side (I don't have 'an English team' or indeed any other team) but it was just a sensation match. L

Believe me your best team and manager were in the sixties. Even after Stein left the momentum carried on for quite a while. The same happened with Ferguson at St Mirren. I still think of Dunfermline as a big team because they were so good when I was at an impressionable age at school. Clearly things have changed with Dunfermline but that's the view that sticks with me. Similarly I think Dundee utd are thought of as a bigger team than they are because a lot of our current journalists were at the " impressionable" age when they were top notch under McLean.

I've not missed many StMirren games over the years but the one that sticks out is when we won 4-0 at Dens to win the first division in 1977. My car broke down on the way.

Also I regret never having travelled away with St.Mirren in Europe. I had a young family and couldn't afford it. Now that I would be able to afford it it doesn't show signs of happening. When/ if it does happen I guarantee I'll be too decrepit to go or my family can go using the money they got from my will .

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Gave my season ticket to my brother the night we beat Livi 7-0 too as it was shite outside and I couldnt be arsed.

I don't remember it being shite weather that night, that's false memory syndrome for you. I went and thoroughly enjoyed myself for various reasons... Hibs could have won 15-0 that night if it wasn't for Livingston's goalie playing very well 

Missed Meadowbank's title winning game at Alloa in 1987 and the first game of the next season when they raised the flag so it would have been good to have gone to those.

Not sure of any Scotland games- maybe the France game we won but I probably would have missed Faddy's goal like the rest.

8 hours ago, The Golden God said:

As a Celtic fan who's been to almost all of the big games (and games in general) I'd probably have to say 3-2 at Ibrox when Edouard scored, never seen us win there. Another random one would be the New Year game at Tynecastle when McManus scored 2 very late goals.

Bit different but isolating for the Euros final last year so was watching it myself but would've been great to even see that with mates or in the pub.

I take it you were in Lisbon in 67.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I don't remember it being shite weather that night, that's false memory syndrome for you. I went and thoroughly enjoyed myself for various reasons... Hibs could have won 15-0 that night if it wasn't for Livingston's goalie playing very well 

Missed Meadowbank's title winning game at Alloa in 1987 and the first game of the next season when they raised the flag so it would have been good to have gone to those.

Not sure of any Scotland games- maybe the France game we won but I probably would have missed Faddy's goal like the rest.

Was freezing mate can remember it vividly. 

4 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

2016 cup final. Will never live it down. Might need to start pretending I was there if the kids start getting interested in Hibs 

I was on holiday on Arran at the time and watched the 2016 final in the Douglas hotel in Brodick.  It was Rainjurz heavy through most of the match but towards the end quite a lot of Hibees were coming in.  It was the day of the Goat fell hill race (!!!) and a lot of Hibs fans seemed to have been running in that, only to get back into town just in time for the end.  Good friendly chaps (shedding a few tears ofc) compared to the absolutely seething messes who had quickly vacated the premises, and there were plenty of regrets being expressed about not having gone to the game - I remember one guy in his late 40s or 50s saying he had never missed a final until that one!

9 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I was on holiday on Arran at the time and watched the 2016 final in the Douglas hotel in Brodick.  It was Rainjurz heavy through most of the match but towards the end quite a lot of Hibees were coming in.  It was the day of the Goat fell hill race (!!!) and a lot of Hibs fans seemed to have been running in that, only to get back into town just in time for the end.  Good friendly chaps (shedding a few tears ofc) compared to the absolutely seething messes who had quickly vacated the premises, and there were plenty of regrets being expressed about not having gone to the game - I remember one guy in his late 40s or 50s saying he had never missed a final until that one!

Everybody's different and there's more to life etc, but I find it staggering that any Hibby that bothered about winning wouldn't have gone to that game through choice.

Incredible.