Eligible can play Scotland

Craigieboy86

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Probably because FIFA and World Rugby aren’t the same thing.

Home nations are older than FIFA been around before them were making are own rules before them and FIFA aren't actually saying anything about ripping up teams in fact there about making new ones Fario Islands Gibraltar possibilities for a new team to

We decided on the gentlemans agreement not FIFA in all its absurdity we played players with non blood lines when made people schooled here eligible 

So it obviously isn't what its supposed to be just a big con that the gullible in society have bought the line on by our SFA lackies

13 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

What a fantastic thread. 

https://theathletic.com/4368448/2023/04/02/sealand-the-national-football-team-from-a-country-half-the-size-of-a-football-pitch/

Also these guys have made a come back looking to join FIFA but apparently FIFA wants less twams than more to some people in here,logic dictates otherwise though doesn't it?

Edited by General dissaray

14 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd be bang up for starting a legal wrangle that antagonises the 3 other Home Nations, FIFA, UEFA and probably half of CONCACAF by calling up a squad full of English Caribbeans. I think it'd be really funny.

Yeah tbh this post has changed my mind, I say we just go for it full biffter.

Probably we would pick up more tv rights as well all the Caribbean nations tuning in.

22 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah tbh this post has changed my mind, I say we just go for it full biffter.

Probably we would pick up more tv rights as well all the Caribbean nations tuning in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Badr_Hassan

Gibraltar got two Egyptians are you sure that there not using residential rules?

It literally says he plays cos they have stayed 5 years in the country why is that okay for them to do it but say we can't play Tavernier?

Gibraltar are literally a UK protectorate so why aren't they included in the idiotic Gentlemans agreement?

2 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Gibraltar got two Egyptians are you sure that there not using residential rules?

It literally says he plays cos they have stayed 5 years in the country why is that okay for them to do it but say we can't play Tavernier?

Gibraltar are literally a UK protectorate so why aren't they included in the idiotic Gentlemans agreement?

Think you're maybe quoting the wrong poster.

18 hours ago, General dissaray said:

we are doing okay with things as they are. Fortunately we don't need to be desperately trawling round various players with tenuous connections to Scotland and rip up agreements just so we can potentially cap untested journeyman/lower league footballers. As for Tavernier, I am guessing that is tongue in cheek.

Anyway, have a wee lie down - all is currently well and on the up internationally. Let's enjoy it when we can. 

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

we are doing okay with things as they are. Fortunately we don't need to be desperately trawling round various players with tenuous connections to Scotland and rip up agreements just so we can potentially cap untested journeyman/lower league footballers. As for Tavernier, I am guessing that is tongue in cheek.

Anyway, have a wee lie down - all is currently well and on the up internationally. Let's enjoy it when we can. 

Tavernier would be in hall off fame now if he was Scottish same guy that kept wee Patterson out Rangers team aye?

Stephen O Donnell got 26 caps in five years and James Tavernier is miles better than him 

Again none off the players that I mentioned were lower league lowest was the championship with a team that will probably be in EPL next year

Newcastle Bournemouth Sheffield Utd Brentford Burnley Everton Crystal Palace were the teams the others were at 

I agree we are doing well but that doesn't mean we can't improve our strength and depth by using rules the others are clearly using

Making the gentlemans agreement none in void and unfit for purpose and isn't benefiting Scotland what so ever

Also if FIFA never wanted the home nations why let Gibraltar San Marino Fario Islands in and possibly Sealand up next?

Nobody has actually answered that question yet but hang on every word off the SFA as gospel who clearly don't want to lose there junkets

16 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Tavernier would be in hall off fame now if he was Scottish same guy that kept wee Patterson out Rangers team aye?

Stephen O Donnell got 26 caps in five years and James Tavernier is miles better than him 

Again none off the players that I mentioned were lower league lowest was the championship with a team that will probably be in EPL next year

Newcastle Bournemouth Sheffield Utd Brentford Burnley Everton Crystal Palace were the teams the others were at 

I agree we are doing well but that doesn't mean we can't improve our strength and depth by using rules the others are clearly using

Making the gentlemans agreement none in void and unfit for purpose and isn't benefiting Scotland what so ever

Also if FIFA never wanted the home nations why let Gibraltar San Marino Fario Islands in and possibly Sealand up next?

Nobody has actually answered that question yet but hang on every word off the SFA as gospel who clearly don't want to lose there junkets

okay......

17 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

I haven't read though in depth - don't have the time to really delve into it, but I am sympathetic to the idea that there will be elements of hypocrisy within the gentleman's agreement and the wider global situation. As I said, I'd have to look at it in more detail so haven't fixed a view on it.

24 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Is English your second language? "none in void" ffs! 😂

It doesn't really matter if Tavernier would have got more caps than Stephen O'Donnell if available incidentally (and that's debatable, O'Donnell's a better defender, Tavernier's a weak defender who has carved a career out of playing for a club where his defensive ability is secondary to his undoubted quality on the ball, something he wouldn't get away with to the same degree in an international shirt). O'Donnell's not the current incumbent. If James Tavernier was eligible for Scotland today he'd be our 3rd choice right back at best.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is English your second language? "none in void" ffs! 😂

It doesn't really matter if Tavernier would have got more caps than Stephen O'Donnell if available incidentally (and that's debatable, O'Donnell's a better defender, Tavernier's a weak defender who has carved a career out of playing for a club where his defensive ability is secondary to his undoubted quality on the ball, something he wouldn't get away with to the same degree in an international shirt). O'Donnell's not the current incumbent. If James Tavernier was eligible for Scotland today he'd be our 3rd choice right back at best.

What part off Tavernier kept Patterson out the Rangers team don't you understand?

Also if O Donnell was a better defender than Tavernier he would got his move to the English championship 

O Donnell is out off contract again lets see where he goes chanced are he'll be staying at Motherwell cos that is his level 

Taverniers level is the Europa league and would have a pick off teams at that level if we sold him unlike O Donnell 

27 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Taverniers level is the Europa league and would have a pick off teams at that level if we sold him unlike O Donnell 

Aye, I’m sure that Liverpool and Atalanta are salivating at the prospect of signing James Tavernier. 

Anyway, James Tavernier would have become eligible for Scotland in 2020 (assuming it’s 5 years residency that we’d be going by). By that point, Stephen O’Donnell had been a regular in the squad for 2 years, and was a steady enough player for us - he was never spectacular going forward and was always clearly the worst player technically in the side, but he always went out and did his job.

Do we really think that Steve Clarke would have discarded him in order to call up James Tavernier, a 29 year old with no connection to Scotland who wasn’t even widely loved by the Rangers support at the time, and was widely seen as a pretty poor defender? Even if some of that gets overblown about Tavernier’s defending, he simply doesn’t have a ‘SOD against England’ performance in him. I would be genuinely amazed if Clarke had done that. 

Patterson is clearly, now, a better player than Tavernier as well. Tavernier keeping him out the squad a few years ago is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I’m sure that Liverpool and Atalanta are salivating at the prospect of signing James Tavernier. 

Anyway, James Tavernier would have become eligible for Scotland in 2020 (assuming it’s 5 years residency that we’d be going by). By that point, Stephen O’Donnell had been a regular in the squad for 2 years, and was a steady enough player for us - he was never spectacular going forward and was always clearly the worst player technically in the side, but he always went out and did his job.

Do we really think that Steve Clarke would have discarded him in order to call up James Tavernier, a 29 year old with no connection to Scotland who wasn’t even widely loved by the Rangers support at the time, and was widely seen as a pretty poor defender? Even if some of that gets overblown about Tavernier’s defending, he simply doesn’t have a ‘SOD against England’ performance in him. I would be genuinely amazed if Clarke had done that. 

Patterson is clearly, now, a better player than Tavernier as well. Tavernier keeping him out the squad a few years ago is irrelevant.

It isn't irelivent when five years ago he was head and shoulders above him and O Donnell 

Listen I'm not a O Donnell hater and he did more than just that England performance but hwe is nowhere near Tavernier class

And wasn't thinking about him joining Atalanta or Liverpool but he is clearly good enough to find European clubs at those levels maybe in Belgium or Turkey