Amateur Football Reconstruction

Crazy Feet

On 16/06/2023 at 20:10, Crazy Feet said:

Because they were cheated out of the opportunity to win the Central Scottish League.

the usual pish from Crazy Feet re the new league, yet completely silent on the shambles end to the cally premier league when 2 teams failed to show for the games v Doune Castle shortchanging the players from that club to have the moment to clinch the League on the park rather that 6pts before the final game v St Joes 

As I said before the head PR man for that League

Edited by Amateur Fan
error

Guest MickGarvey

Does anyone else think that the decline of the amateur game (and probably non league football as a whole) could be arrested if we put a limit on the amount of players teams can sign?

I'm reliably informed EKYM have 40/50 players on their books and 2 teams? That's just an example of one side who appear to be blessed with numbers. If teams were limited to 16/18 players per team, in my previous example that would be 4/8 extra players in circulation for other sides in the area like EKRR (who were very successful this season, kudos to them), Claremont AFC and potentially stretching down to Eaglesham AFC and so forth.

9 hours ago, MickGarvey said:

Does anyone else think that the decline of the amateur game (and probably non league football as a whole) could be arrested if we put a limit on the amount of players teams can sign?

I'm reliably informed EKYM have 40/50 players on their books and 2 teams? That's just an example of one side who appear to be blessed with numbers. If teams were limited to 16/18 players per team, in my previous example that would be 4/8 extra players in circulation for other sides in the area like EKRR (who were very successful this season, kudos to them), Claremont AFC and potentially stretching down to Eaglesham AFC and so forth.

EKYM have 2 amateur sides and an over 35s side. Having 50 signed players between 2 teams is not overkill, 25 each team! I’d actually say that’s maybe less than a lot of others! 

considering leagues allow 5 from 7 subs a match day squad of 18 is a regular occurrence for most top teams. If you limited teams to signing players then you will find teams not fulfilling fixtures when a number are unavailable. Players not selected week in week out are free to leave and be released as long as they don’t owe the club any money so I don’t think teams ‘hoarding’ players is a major issue. 

On 19/06/2023 at 19:59, Amateur Fan said:

the usual pish from Crazy Feet re the new league, yet completely silent on the shambles end to the cally premier league when 2 teams failed to show for the games v Doune Castle shortchanging the players from that club to have the moment to clinch the League on the park rather that 6pts before the final game v St Joes 

As I said before the head PR man for that League

In my opinion I think you can look at it in all different ways and try different things with the end result being the same. Successful teams will always keep players happy, the downside to their success would be junior sides taking the better players. Your clubs that's have been around for years again will always be there unless again they také that next step to go junior. These clubs will go through Successful spells followed by some dull years, however the name will still attract players. Each club has to look at how they make their club look more attractive? How do they get players to come or stay? Football has changes and right across the board the desire isn't their as it use to be. I don't think that's because of any association or standard of teams. I just think folk would rather go out with the lads, their Mrs or even to the football at 3PM

On 16/06/2023 at 20:10, Crazy Feet said:

Because they were cheated out of the opportunity to win the Central Scottish League.

Bannockburn defo gave lesmahagow the old “you’ve stopped our chance at the league, so we’ll stop yours” and just not played the game 😂

Guest MickGarvey
On 23/06/2023 at 20:05, pleslie99 said:

EKYM have 2 amateur sides and an over 35s side. Having 50 signed players between 2 teams is not overkill, 25 each team! I’d actually say that’s maybe less than a lot of others! 

considering leagues allow 5 from 7 subs a match day squad of 18 is a regular occurrence for most top teams. If you limited teams to signing players then you will find teams not fulfilling fixtures when a number are unavailable. Players not selected week in week out are free to leave and be released as long as they don’t owe the club any money so I don’t think teams ‘hoarding’ players is a major issue. 

25 players for 2 teams is overkill. Are you telling me that 7+ players are missing everyweek?

Cap the signings to 18 maximum and let everyone find a team, get a game and then water will find its own level.

5 hours ago, MickGarvey said:

25 players for 2 teams is overkill. Are you telling me that 7+ players are missing everyweek?

Cap the signings to 18 maximum and let everyone find a team, get a game and then water will find its own level.

25 players for 1 amateur squad is pushing it with the amount of call offs and players moving on as the season goes on.

7 call offs per game would be a good weekend for some teams! 

On 27/06/2023 at 10:54, MickGarvey said:

If you think that 18 is enough for an amateur team there is no way you've been involved with one 

There's a huge irony in that substitutes were brought in firstly at the highest levels and then the numbers were increased. This filtered down to the lowest levels of the sport and, inevitably meant that clubs were drawn into using the maximum number of substitutes permitted.

Clubs at the lowest levels of the game have gone from being just 11 players with a few reserves to being 11 plus substitutes plus reserves so there are more players per team than there once was. Inevitably this means that there are fewer teams but more players failing to get into starting line-ups. It's a crazy situation.

In addition, the use of substitutes has meant that the pace of the whole game has been raised and lasts for the full 90 minutes. It is arguable that this has lead to more injuries to players i.e. you are more likely to pick up a damaging contact injury if the pace of the game doesn't decrease towards the end as it used to do.

Does the use of substitutes need to be reduced outside the top levels of the sport so that there can be more teams and more players getting the chance to be in the starting line-up. Players are less likely to stay with a team if they're just used as substitutes or reserves and more likely to spend Saturday afternoons elsewhere. 

What's other's experience of this? Thoughts?

13 hours ago, Dev said:

There's a huge irony in that substitutes were brought in firstly at the highest levels and then the numbers were increased. This filtered down to the lowest levels of the sport and, inevitably meant that clubs were drawn into using the maximum number of substitutes permitted.

Clubs at the lowest levels of the game have gone from being just 11 players with a few reserves to being 11 plus substitutes plus reserves so there are more players per team than there once was. Inevitably this means that there are fewer teams but more players failing to get into starting line-ups. It's a crazy situation.

In addition, the use of substitutes has meant that the pace of the whole game has been raised and lasts for the full 90 minutes. It is arguable that this has lead to more injuries to players i.e. you are more likely to pick up a damaging contact injury if the pace of the game doesn't decrease towards the end as it used to do.

Does the use of substitutes need to be reduced outside the top levels of the sport so that there can be more teams and more players getting the chance to be in the starting line-up. Players are less likely to stay with a team if they're just used as substitutes or reserves and more likely to spend Saturday afternoons elsewhere. 

What's other's experience of this? Thoughts?

It's a good question. I've tried to give my opinion 3 times now and each time contradicted myself!

Without going into too much detail, I think they found a happy medium with allowing 5 subs from 7 over 3 stoppages. That seemed to work well for both starting 11 and squad players as it meant not risking injuries, while the squad players would have a semi-regular role of closing out (strangling) a game or going out to make something special happen.

It also allows a sub keeper. I don't know if other league were the same but ours was 5 allowed on from only 5, so it sometimes was worth the risk not having a sub keeper stripped... or making the sub keeper relearn how to play at CM

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

... competing with SMAFL + GCAFA?

Certainly sounds like it: "Going forward our objective is to promote and develop the GGPAFL - SMS, as the top Premier Saturday Morning Football League in Scotland".

Interesting to see if any sides from those leagues move over or if any existing GGPAFL sides convert to Saturday morning football. Certainly could be a sign of the future of Saturday amateur football in the west.

• 3 months later...
On 30/06/2023 at 21:35, Pollok mad said:

If you think that 18 is enough for an amateur team there is no way you've been involved with one 

Exactly, you might have 25 signed but half of them will only be available now and again to help out. Its not like youre rocking up with 25 players at 1pm on a Sat and trying to whittle it down to 18. Truth is nowadays that you need a bigger squad just to fulfill games