Queens Park v Arbroath

We were absolutely stinking in the last meeting and a lot has changed since then, we however are still capable of looking absolutely stinking as last Saturday at Cove showed, possibly the only time we’ve looked worse than we did in the QP home game. However beating Morton away and Saturday past where we really should’ve beaten Dundee are reasons for SLIGHT optimism 

I think we will still be without Scott Stewart which is a big blow but Scott Allan and ToB should be back. ToB has hardly featured this season he has been a massive miss, hard game for him to come back into to if he does make it but we need our captain back at the heart of the defence. I would not put Scott Allan right back in here after how well Gold and Tait played on Saturday

Gaston

Oakley 

Little

ToB

Hammy 

Bitsindou

Tait

Gold

Hilson

Linn

McKenna

Cannot see many Arbroath travelling here due to a couple of reasons but I’ll make the journey down in the car full of dread but also a wee part of me that thinks we are maybe turning the corner and a win here would be massive going into a good few home games 

We could drop any of the eleven from Saturday and none of them could have any complaints. The whole team were varying degrees of horrific. Our weakness, as it has been from minute one of the season has been in defence. When you defend like we do and the rest of the team doesn’t play, things like Saturday will happen.

Until now, we’d reacted well to setbacks. Losing three in a row with Thistle away hot on the heels of another defeat would start to look like a rut and would show how quickly things can change. We’ve shown we can beat Arbroath and there’s no excuse for us not to put in the sort of committed and clinical performance we did at Gayfield.

Bannon has to start. I’d be dropping Naismith, Eze and Kilday, but I’m not sure we actually have the resource to replace all of them. Would maybe be dropping a perceived big hitter, as well, to send out a message that nobody is undroppable. He’s been brilliant in general, but Savoury was in the top tier of rotten performers on Saturday. 

38 minutes ago, an86 said:

Would maybe be dropping a perceived big hitter, as well, to send out a message that nobody is undroppable. He’s been brilliant in general, but Savoury was in the top tier of rotten performers on Saturday. 

Savoury may of been rubbish last couple games but I’m definitely not at the stage where he should be dropped. For me, you could argue that he’s been our best player this season. Need our best players out for this particular game, especially when you look at who we’ve got afterwards. Who would you play out wide instead? McPake, Moore or longridge? Moore probably the best candidate to replace him at the moment but this game is massive in terms of stopping our poor form.

Defensively, yes massive changes are needed 

Edited by qpfc

4 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Savoury may of been rubbish last couple games but I’m definitely not at the stage where he should be dropped. For me, you could argue that he’s been our best player this season. Need our best players out for this particular game, especially when you look at who we’ve got afterwards. Who would you play out wide instead? McPake, Moore or longridge? Moore probably the best candidate to replace him at the moment but this game is massive in terms of stopping our poor form.

Defensively, yes massive changes are needed 

The point I’m trying to make is that no player should be getting too comfy in the starting XI. Coyle might want to show the squad that nobody is undroppable and that a dropping of standards in any area of the pitch isn’t going to be tolerated. Would be easy just to pin the whole of Saturday on the defence. Whilst it played the most damaging part in terms of the result, the rest of the team were absolutely shocking as well. Don’t see why Coyle shouldn’t be telling some home truths across the board.

We obviously won’t see it, but attitude and application in training this week is huge. Who’s angry? Who’s absolutely bursting to get out there and make amends on Friday night? We know we can play football in a specific set of circumstances when we are dictating the play, but who is up for the scrap?

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

The point I’m trying to make is that no player should be getting too comfy in the starting XI. Coyle might want to show the squad that nobody is undroppable and that a dropping of standards in any area of the pitch isn’t going to be tolerated. Would be easy just to pin the whole of Saturday on the defence. Whilst it played the most damaging part in terms of the result, the rest of the team were absolutely shocking as well. Don’t see why Coyle shouldn’t be telling some home truths across the board.

We obviously won’t see it, but attitude and application in training this week is huge. Who’s angry? Who’s absolutely bursting to get out there and make amends on Friday night? We know we can play football in a specific set of circumstances when we are dictating the play, but who is up for the scrap?

Fair enough. Changes are definitely needed but I just wouldn’t want to mess the team up so much to the point where we look entirely disjointed. Honestly I think the only changes we need are getting Eze and Naismith out for Davidson and Bannon. Davidson has obvious flaws defensively but he was exposed so badly against Morton due to having a complete nothing player in McPake in front of him who provided zero cover for him. Savoury is excellent defensively for majority of the time and his last ditch header against raith exemplified that. Kilday over the piece has been decent this season and he’s covered a lot for Eze’s poor positional sense. Mid table championship is Kilday’s ceiling. He’ll have really good games and then the odd time, he’ll have a howler.

It’s equally shite that this is on a Friday and in Stenhousemuir. Are QP ever going to get back to Hampden? 

Enough positives from Saturday to give me confidence heading into this one. I wouldn’t put Allan back in, he’s done nothing to deserve a start so far. If TOB is fit put him into CB and move Bitindindou into midfield. Not sure who would drop out though. 

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

It’s equally shite that this is on a Friday and in Stenhousemuir. Are QP ever going to get back to Hampden? 

Floating around in stadium purgatory for eternity, conceding goals in increasingly slapstick ways, I’m afraid. 

Looked to me like Davidson got hooked against Morton in attempt to make it known failure won't be tolerated. His early sitter miss and some out of position stuff nailed it. Very unlike Coyle to sub at half-time. If that's even close to true, Eze shouldn't even be getting on the bus this week. Just studied the replays in slo-mo and it's worse than I thought. The guys 28yo and an international. I've seen 15-year-olds with a better awareness of the game than this guy. Worse yet, I'd say others around him are getting dragged down too consequently. I'd have Bannon alongside Kilday. RB position is definitely a problem with Davidson best of 3.

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Pay at the gate available lads? 

Official ticket page suggest no, however there have been some games where they’ve announced PATG quite late on. There’s info here plus a phone number in the top left corner which might be your safest bet…

https://tickets.queensparkfc.co.uk/package_link/LZEmOKzmpW/QPvArbroath

49 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Anyhoos Lichties,  picking up where we left off…I see Luke Donnelly has left AFC. What went wrong? Was Dick looking for scapegoats or was Luke just not a good fit?

There's a player in there but was never going to be a regular at this level. Best for both parties that he moved on

38 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

There's a player in there but was never going to be a regular at this level. Best for both parties that he moved on

Bizarrely, despite the Lukewarm (see what I did there?) feel about him, Arbroath has had his most appearances for any club. And the longest period, 2.5 years. He is that type of guy though...yeh, maybe...nah, not really.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Bizarrely, despite the Lukewarm (see what I did there?) feel about him, Arbroath has had his most appearances for any club. And the longest period, 2.5 years. He is that type of guy though...yeh, maybe...nah, not really.

Pretty much sums him up.

Don't know what Dick Campbell saw in him to keep him at the club so long. Never rated him personally, never quite knew if he was a midfielder or striker or what, seldom got involved and too often the game passed him by.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I liked him at QP. Enigmatic, but his record in a struggling team was decent in the circumstances. Always felt he got a bit of stick because he was tall, but not a physical player. Reckon he’d have done really well in the stronger QP sides of the previous two or three seasons. There was definitely a good footballer in there.

On 10/10/2022 at 13:11, an86 said:

We could drop any of the eleven from Saturday and none of them could have any complaints. The whole team were varying degrees of horrific.

If I was Thomson or Thomas and I was dropped then I'd definitely have complaints. Both of them were the only guys that turned up last week imo