Ayr vs Cove

An away trip to Somerset Park for Cove who have taken a grand total of 1 point from their opening 5 league games on the road. A late smash and grab against Thistle.

There won't be much money being wagered on an away win I suspect.

The previous encounter at Balmoral was one-way traffic with Cove turning in perhaps their worst performance of the season so far. Ayr could have scored 4 easily that day.

Cove have added a few abled players since and the optimism was returning after a couple of wins only for it to be dented by a dismal showing at Starks Park and a lacklustre effort against Caley who although looked relatively poor on the day took almost their only chance and got all 3 points.

Team wise we should have Fyvie back after 5 weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring injury but Kyle McClelland is confirmed out for another 4-5 weeks.

Unfortunately McIntyre's resilience on playing 4-1-4-1 is hampering our attacking threat and I'd take a draw right now.

Ayr lost 3 out of their last 4 in the league but all by narrow margins and with Dipo scoring freely they will be looking to get back to winning ways 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I have a bad feeling about this one.

I get that. Sometimes when you are red hot favourites (haven't actually checked the odds yet) and everyone will see it as a "banker" home win it doesn't go to plan.

A team led by McIntyre should give you faith. Couldn't run a bath let alone a football team 

Fyvie back should give us something different and Raith apart we look more resolute at the back. Still don't fancy us to do too much though

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I get that. Sometimes when you are red hot favourites (haven't actually checked the odds yet) and everyone will see it as a "banker" home win it doesn't go to plan.

A team led by McIntyre should give you faith. Couldn't run a bath let alone a football team 

Fyvie back should give us something different and Raith apart we look more resolute at the back. Still done fancy us to do too much though

You're probably a better team when Fyvie isn't playing.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

You're probably a better team when Fyvie isn't playing.

Fyvie was lacking when we got scudded from you's at the start of the season but when he wants to he can turn it on and be a goal threat as well as create chances. Good understanding with Mitch too 

Without him our midfield looks tighter yes but Longstaff, Gilmour, Scully, Yule, Dunne will score next to nothing in a season. Fyvie got 13 in 40 last campaign (granted L1).

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

It is yet another one of those ‘could go either way’ fixtures.

Don’t think any Ayr fan would be surprised if we won 4-0 or lost 3-0.

Still trying to work out what that means for us this season.

I'd be shocked if we lost 3-0 in the league to anyone this season.

Despite some of our results, we've been good in almost every game and at no point have we been over run or outclassed by anyone. (which isn't that surprising when you look at the quality of our squad).

One of our most controlled performances of the season was Cove away, so if we can replicate that you'd think that we'd have too much for them.

As always though, the games in this league can throw up; anything so I'm taking nothing for granted.

I said it on the Dundee match thread but if we are serious of getting a playoff spot/mounting a title challenge then this has to be the sort of game we are winning with a bit to spare.

Admittedly I had a few beers however Cove looked  really poor in our previous meeting. Looks like they have brought in a few players since then and seem to be doing slightly better. As @CoveRangers1922 says they have only taken a point from their away games albeit a very good point coming from 2-0 down to snatch a draw at Firhill.

Team wise I really hope Murdoch is back. Paul Smith hasn’t disgraced himself in the two games he’s started however Murdoch is just a massive upgrade. Only other change I’d be tempted to make is Houston out for McAllister (if fit) as it was Houston who lost possession for both of Dundees goals. Would possibly be slightly harsh though and wouldn’t be bothered if he started. 

3-0 Ayr

Thoroughly enjoyed my long trip up to Cove, would like to say it was the 3 points but the cracking weather and the visits to the wee social club before and after the game may have been a major factor. Hope any Cove fans have a similarly good time down visiting Somerset Park.

As for the game I'm unsure how's it going to go really, but we should be looking to win this and will be very disappointed if we don't, no offence intended Cove. Most likely won't happen now.

Ayr 3-1 Cove

Edited by AuAl

Same but tbf we probably felt like that before the Queens Park game and look what happened...

I was probably more confident for that game. You knew it was going to be end to end and wide open for both teams. Suits us better than way. Cove will come down here and stick 10 men behind the ball and when teams to do that against us I always have the fear we’ll have one of those days where we cannot put the ball in the net and concede a stupid goal. Much like the Caley game.

Hope Bullen doesn’t change anything here. Despite the Dundee game, I think that starting eleven is the best way to go for this one.

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I was probably more confident for that game. You knew it was going to be end to end and wide open for both teams. Suits us better than way. Cove will come down here and stick 10 men behind the ball and when teams to do that against us I always have the fear we’ll have one of those days where we cannot put the ball in the net and concede a stupid goal. Much like the Caley game.

Hope Bullen doesn’t change anything here. Despite the Dundee game, I think that starting eleven is the best way to go for this one.

Could see Houston possibly getting dropped, although McAllister not really an improvement in my eyes, Houston's biggest issue is consistency (or lack of)

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Decent result for us last night. Win on Saturday to go 2nd, win on Tuesday to go top.

its-very-simple-eric-cartman.gif

I’m probably being whooshed here but even if we did win on Saturday as long as Thistle and ICT both don’t lose we’d still be 3rd If one of them lose chances we’d be 2nd, if they both lost we’d be 1st. 

I’m probably being whooshed here but even if we did win on Saturday as long as Thistle and ICT both don’t lose we’d still be 3rd If one of them lose chances we’d be 2nd, if they both lost we’d be 1st. 

Think so long as we win our next two games we’ll be top. But aye even if we beat Cove we can still be third if Partick and Caley win.

I don’t see us taking six points from our next two games though.

If he’s fit the only change I’d like to see is Murdy in for Smith (who has done well). I think if we can get a settled 11 for 5-6 games in the trot that would be really beneficial. However Bullen mentioned in his Dundee post match interview that a few players picked up knocks so expect a few changes. I suspect we’ll see McKenzie and Ashford in the starting 11 at the expense of Chalmers and Young. Really need to be taking 3 points from this one IMO. 

On a separate note Inverness seem to be really struggling with injuries at the moment so expect Raith to beat them on Saturday.