Hearts v Celtic

13 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Take to Twitter. You'll discover that, actually, VAR is a protestant conspiracy to stop Celtic winning a game (that they won) and to help Rangers win a game (that they didn't).

It's all *very* exciting.

If it wasn't for everyone and everything being against them, they might win something.

Given the massive gulf in resources I think Hearts have done remarkably well today.
Standing ovation from the home fans and a lap of honour?

As an aside to this you’d think that the Celtic players and fans would pare back the wild celebrations at today’s win, given the gargantuan difference in resources. But,no.

6 minutes ago, Daydream said:

As an aside to this you’d think that the Celtic players and fans would pare back the wild celebrations at today’s win, given the gargantuan difference in resources. But,no.

I fucking hate football fans that celebrate seeing the team they support win

6 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I thought it was pish.  Took far too long and allowed Walsh to bottle out of decisions.

Got pretty much every call right im fairness, but it's no for me

Sorry can’t get onboard with that, the handball we didn’t get is laughable absolutely laughable. Thankfully it didn’t impact the result

Edited by Jinky67

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Sorry can’t get onboard with that, the handball we didn’t get is laughable absolutely laughable. Thankfully it didn’t impact the result

Agreed if it was on the other foot the meltdown on here would be ridiculous. Regardless what a fantastic game.

15 hours ago, DC92 said:

Shitebag tactics? It's almost as if you had this drafted before the game and decided to send it anyway.

We were the better team in the first half today and the tactics worked as well as they could have really. My only criticism is that Celtic had too much space in front of our box in the second half and maybe we should have moved to tighten up the midfield a bit more, but not doing so wasn't a shitebag move. Our defensive frailties were always likely to tell anyway.

As for being 7th, we'll be a maximum of 5 points behind third by the end of the weekend. I think it's critical we don't fall any further behind by the World Cup, but there are some things in our favour. We've played Celtic and Rangers 3 times, Hibs and St Mirren have played them twice and Aberdeen only once. We've only had 3 home games against non-OF teams (winning them all) while Hibs and Aberdeen have had 5 and St Mirren will have had 6 after today. We also have a game in hand on Hibs and Halkett and Rowles are back in training.

Obviously I'd rather have the points on the board and there have been some awful performances recently, but it's been a b*****d of a fixture list and a b*****d of an injury list and we're still in it. Next week at Ross County is huge.

Dave Cormack levels of spin doctoring there. Congratulations. 

6 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I thought Michael Stewart on Sportscene, did a good job of explaining why it was not given. Not to mention the close proximity of Michael Smith to where the ball was struck from. The new rules state that this is an important consideration when making a decision.

The paranoia by many Celtic fans that they now have to compete with the opposition, the ref and VAR, is very entertaining if not unexpected.  

11 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

When was the last time Celtic were awarded a pen, even with var?

Celtic on average tend to be around third each season for the number of penalties awarded in the Scottish Premiership, finishing higher than Rangers twice in the last three seasons.

They do pretty well each season and if off to a slower start this season, am sure they will be back amongst the top three teams who receive most penalties come the end of the season. 

I didn't think the Smith incident was a penalty tbh. Forrest chips it at him from close range and Smith's arms swing back as he steps back, I don't think it was an unnatural position. 

However, if it was against us I'd be screaming for it and wouldn't have been surprised to see it given. 

Hartson and Sutton trying to convince people it's a reason that VAR is against Celtic already though is laughable and as said, predictable.

The ref seen it and the VAR team never thought it was clear and obviously wrong, it's that simple. If there's going to be a clamber for VAR to be involved at every single decision that goes against a team then it's going to be a fucking nightmare.

Edited by Tony Wonder

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

I didn't think the Smith incident was a penalty tbh. Forrest chips it at him from close range and Smith's arms swing back as he steps back, I don't think it was an unnatural position. 

However, if it was against us I'd be screaming for it and wouldn't have been surprised to see it given. 

Hartson and Sutton trying to convince people it's a reason that VAR is against Celtic already though is laughable and as said, predictable.

The ref seen it and the VAR team never thought it was clear and obviously wrong, it's that simple. If there's going to be a clamber for VAR to be involved at every single decision that goes against a team then it's going to be a fucking nightmare.

That wasn’t a particularly dirty game and both halves took 51 minutes 

so by my calculations the new year derby will finish around dinner time on the 19th

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That wasn’t a particularly dirty game and both halves took 51 minutes 

so by my calculations the new year derby will finish around dinner time on the 19th

It 100% needs to speed up. Checks after perfectly fine goals and non incidents shouldn't be taking a minute.

The worst thing about VAR is that it slows the game down.

The second-worst thing about VAR is that it makes for even more tedious chat about decisions, as now, as we can see from today, everybody is horrified if anything happens that they perceive to be wrong. VAR is meant to stop all the wrong decisions!

Boring, boring, boring.

And anyone who thought VAR would make Celtic fans any less boring and paranoid, well, welcome to our new world.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

If there's going to be a clamber for VAR to be involved at every single decision that goes against a team then it's going to be a fucking nightmare.

There will be. Again, look at the reaction to every game in England. The Big Six clubs' fans are all utterly insufferable and convinced that everything they think VAR has missed for them is evidence of a conspiracy against them or that English football is run by Klopp/Pep/Alex Ferguson/Chelsea being punished for the war in Ukraine etc etc etc.

f**k me, if you thought Old Firm fans were boring before...

23 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

It 100% needs to speed up. Checks after perfectly fine goals and non incidents shouldn't be taking a minute.

It won't though. That's just how it is.

Routinely see long halves like that in the Premier League. VAR adds up to 2 minutes per match on average, and there have been numerous 100-plus minute finishes.

If you're at a high-scoring game, or one with two or three contentious decisions, then you're in for a long haul, and that is just the future.

44 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

And anyone who thought VAR would make Celtic fans any less boring and paranoid, well, welcome to our new world.

You say that as if the chat from other days on the run upto VAR being introduced is how Celtic will benefit more from it 

38 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It won't though. That's just how it is.

Routinely see long halves like that in the Premier League. VAR adds up to 2 minutes per match on average, and there have been numerous 100-plus minute finishes.

If you're at a high-scoring game, or one with two or three contentious decisions, then you're in for a long haul, and that is just the future.

It will obviously make games longer, but it can also be much faster than it was. It took 4 minutes from Walsh going to check on the challenge on Devlin til the penalty was taken, that's ridiculous.  

Also, if every goal is being checked it doesn't have to be 90 seconds with players waiting for KO. England doesn't have any of that waiting about. It'll take longer to check things I get that, it can, and hopefully will end up being a smoother process. 

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

You say that as if the chat from other days on the run upto VAR being introduced is how Celtic will benefit more from it 

I don't think anyone will benefit from it.

Things will still go for or against you based on human decisions, but now people will be even more boring about it than before.

I mean, honestly, the Celtic reaction to yesterday is tear-inducingly predictable. Utterly fucking tiresome from depressingly paranoid people who really need to get a fucking life.

But this is not a surprise to anyone who pays attention to English football or English fan culture. VAR makes it worse. It increases expectations of correct decisions, and increases feelings of persecution when they go wrong.

It's shite, and Old Firm fans are going to be even more unbearable than before.