Craziest Fandoms

Was reading a thing on Twitter the other day about how there seems to be a fandom now that instead of following a certain club, solely support certain players and follow them around the clubs.  This seems mostly to be a Cristiano Ronaldo phenomenon but I assume it exists for others too.  There also seems to be a weird online faction of nerds now that are in love with Elon Musk and pile on anyone who criticises him.  There seems to be YouTubers now that have these types of fanbases as well.

I guess you could point to Michael Jackson as where this started where his fans don't just love the music, but are a more like a cult who worship the person as well.  I know he was massive in his day but so were plenty of other big bands and while having a hardcore fanbase, don't seem to be willing to go to war for them in the way that Michael Jackson's did and still do.  I guess some people didn't need defending quite so much...

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a crazy fandom?  Have any P&Bers ever met one of these crazy fan boy or girls?  What's the craziest fandom you've ever come across?

Michael Jackson was the biggest artist in the world by miles and miles in the second half of the 80s and early 90s. There isn’t any band or performer who could compare at the time or I think can compare now. It was obviously a totally different era and media landscape though.  His fans are fucking mental though. 

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Was reading a thing on Twitter the other day about how there seems to be a fandom now that instead of following a certain club, solely support certain players and follow them around the clubs.  This seems mostly to be a Cristiano Ronaldo phenomenon but I assume it exists for others too.  There also seems to be a weird online faction of nerds now that are in love with Elon Musk and pile on anyone who criticises him.  There seems to be YouTubers now that have these types of fanbases as well.

I guess you could point to Michael Jackson as where this started where his fans don't just love the music, but are a more like a cult who worship the person as well.  I know he was massive in his day but so were plenty of other big bands and while having a hardcore fanbase, don't seem to be willing to go to war for them in the way that Michael Jackson's did and still do.  I guess some people didn't need defending quite so much...

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a crazy fandom?  Have any P&Bers ever met one of these crazy fan boy or girls?  What's the craziest fandom you've ever come across?

Poor man's ICTchris imo.

I watched the first couple of seasons of Rick and Morty and thought it was quite fun. Stumbled into a forum when I was looking for the broadcast date of the upcoming season and haven't watched it since. To quote the main character; 'your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what makes you cheer'. 

I remember i tweeted in response to Musk talking about tesla releasing something in the UK, largely about the ridiculous deposit you put down on a tesla for the same value you can get better pcp deals elsewhere etc. You’d think fairly innocuous tweet, cue just about every incel on the internet weighing in their thoughts. Musk ‘fans’ are nuts. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I remember i tweeted in response to Musk talking about tesla releasing something in the UK, largely about the ridiculous deposit you put down on a tesla for the same value you can get better pcp deals elsewhere etc. You’d think fairly innocuous tweet, cue just about every incel on the internet weighing in their thoughts. Musk ‘fans’ are nuts. 

Undoubtedly the biggest losers in existence. 

Does Jeff Bezos attract "fans" in the same way as Musk? Is it just "this guy has the most money in the world, so he must be good and I like him"?

One of the downsides of the internet does appear to be the hothousing of lunatic obsession. I don't think I've ever loved a person, place, or thing* enough to do more than make a snide comment if someone dislikes it, never mind stalk their internet history to hurt them, or worse.

*Except for The Thing, which is the greatest film of all time, and I will hunt you down and kill your parents if you speak ill of it, I swear to God.

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Does Jeff Bezos attract "fans" in the same way as Musk? Is it just "this guy has the most money in the world, so he must be good and I like him"?

One of the downsides of the internet does appear to be the hothousing of lunatic obsession. I don't think I've ever loved a person, place, or thing* enough to do more than make a snide comment if someone dislikes it, never mind stalk their internet history to hurt them, or worse.

*Except for The Thing, which is the greatest film of all time, and I will hunt you down and kill your parents if you speak ill of it, I swear to God.

Here's Elon Musk's The Trial Of Wario SNL Skit

Conor McGregor fans were, without exception, complete melts. Thankfully they are somewhat diminished now after their hero was humiliated a couple of times. 

Royal family fans are unsurprising a bunch of total weirdos. You also now have Harry and Meghan fans, 'The Sussex Squad' who are also a gang of nutters.