Annan Athletic vs Dumbarton

What's the outcome?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Poor recruitment.

Squad has definitely looked thin and plenty posters on here said exactly that in the summer. The Gemmell gamble is now looking like a failed experiment after the initial internet buzz it provoked. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course but again the question was asked on here at the time why sign someone out of retirement when the more logical choice would be to find a forward on loan from a full time club to occupy that place in a sparse squad.

Edit: I'm not laying any blame at John Gemmell's feet, he's a footballer and wants to play football, and worked extremely hard to get himself back into the pro game. I lay the blame at the management for only signing a small squad with limited positional cover. Whether that's down to poor management or lack of wage budget is something that will likely be debated until the cows come home. The answer will probably be 'both'.

Edited by Sweet Pete

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Squad has definitely looked thin and plenty posters on here said exactly that in the summer. The Gemmell gamble is now looking like a failed experiment after the initial internet buzz it provoked. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course but again the question was asked on here at the time why sign someone out of retirement when the more logical choice would be to find a forward on loan from a full time club to occupy that place in a sparse squad.

Byrne had injury problems previously too, and Wallace was never going to be the lone striker in the system we're playing.

Yeah, I still expected us to sign someone on loan before the window closed and it shows at this stage how Faz hasn't covered himself in glory. As mentioned above, Byrne has had injuries before and Gemmell was never going to play 90 minutes week in, week out. We really could have done with another option and I expected we would have looked at someone with a bit of pace who could have given us another option.

Also agree that is makes Wallace's red card even more stupid too. If they have known about Byrne struggling then he should have realised that he may be called upon more heavily in the coming weeks too. I just hope when he is back next week that he shows up how he did last week, because he was quite effective in the cup game.

Farrell is a total fanny who has brought this on himself. The lack of options in the squad if Byrne was to get injured was clear as day to everyone. Signing John Gemmell as a backup striker at this level was absolutely ludicrous stuff and it has backfired massively. 

Here we are a full year later and we will still be operating with a shitey, out of form Ross MacLean up front - a guy who is never a striker in a million years. 

We’re in second division and can’t believe we weren’t looking at a young upcoming striker either loan, juniors etc as some kind of back up instead of the older ones we went for. 
example is  the gray type player. We should have more youngsters in the team 

6 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Edit: I'm not laying any blame at John Gemmell's feet, he's a footballer and wants to play football, and worked extremely hard to get himself back into the pro game. I lay the blame at the management for only signing a small squad with limited positional cover. Whether that's down to poor management or lack of wage budget is something that will likely be debated until the cows come home. The answer will probably be 'both'.

We knew in the summer that it was going to be a small squad. Farrell himself came out and said that. Think IIRC he mentioned 19 bodies? The budget probably played a part in that. I'd also have preferred we went for someone on loan rather than an ageing John Gemmell but again, the budget probably played a part in that too! Whether or not that's true is a debate for those that can be arsed, as u say it will go on and on. I'd say that we knew this situation was likely to arise with injuries and suspensions. What's more frustrating is its hit all the same position which makes the squad build seem daft when in reality if we had 4 bodies out, 1 from each position it wouldn't be too bad! There is no excusing wallaces red card tho and if we lose tomorrow due to lack of fire power, then some of the anger should definitely be directed towards him!

29 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

We knew in the summer that it was going to be a small squad. Farrell himself came out and said that. Think IIRC he mentioned 19 bodies? The budget probably played a part in that. I'd also have preferred we went for someone on loan rather than an ageing John Gemmell but again, the budget probably played a part in that too! Whether or not that's true is a debate for those that can be arsed, as u say it will go on and on. I'd say that we knew this situation was likely to arise with injuries and suspensions. What's more frustrating is its hit all the same position which makes the squad build seem daft when in reality if we had 4 bodies out, 1 from each position it wouldn't be too bad! There is no excusing wallaces red card tho and if we lose tomorrow due to lack of fire power, then some of the anger should definitely be directed towards him!

Where Wallace is concerned I heard that he expressed a robust opinion on a late penalty claim in a sentence that contained a swear word, but he did not swear directly at the referee.  It's all irrelevant now of course, but I wonder if every ref would have reached for the red card - some may have answered him in kind.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Where Wallace is concerned I heard that he expressed a robust opinion on a late penalty claim in a sentence that contained a swear word, but he did not swear directly at the referee.  It's all irrelevant now of course, but I wonder if every ref would have reached for the red card - some may have answered him in kind.

If he swore at the ref then the red card is warranted. The law is pretty clear on that. What he claims was said/how it was said in relation the the truth is probably a bit skewed. Regardless, it was a stupid red card as is any one where folk don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

11 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

If he swore at the ref then the red card is warranted. The law is pretty clear on that. What he claims was said/how it was said in relation the the truth is probably a bit skewed. Regardless, it was a stupid red card as is any one where folk don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

Where did I write that Wallace swore AT the referee ?  

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Where did I write that Wallace swore AT the referee ?  

U didn't but I doubt the ref sent him off for 'expressing a robust opinion'. Regardless of whether or not he swore at/to/in the vicinity of, its a daft red card and could cost us.

On 28/10/2022 at 09:49, Sweet Pete said:

I think it's a bit of both Pete, but money is definitely a factor and it seems to be most evident in the striker positions.  Over recent seasons we've taken risky punts on players such as Rory Loy, Denny Johnstone and now John Gemmell and all of them have backfired.  You have to assume that none of them was on a big wage, likewise Jaime Wilson and Robert Jones, and we've also used temporary help like Layne and Oynisan.  Ironically we let the best striker in Calum Gallagher more or less drift away.

We are a League Two club and that makes loan signings more difficult than before.  Meantime Wallace will likely become a regular starter up front and at least he has experience, but staying away from the bottom of the division may soon overtake a top four finish in terms of priority. 

I'm not sure how signing John Gemmell could be described as a "gamble" or a "risky punt" - surely he was signed on buttons to beef up the numbers and maybe add something different to your forward line? No-one involved in bringing him to Dumbarton would have envisaged him playing a couple of minutes here and there and maybe getting the odd start?

Surely a (long overdue) home win today. Last time we won the Queen was still alive and Boris was PM...

If we don't start getting results soon it will be the 79 Bus to Gretna for derby games in LL next season.

Prediction Annan 2 - Dumbarton 1

Mon the Annan - Ca plane pour moi!

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

I think it's a bit of both Pete, but money is definitely a factor and it seems to be most evident in the striker positions.  Over recent seasons we've taken risky punts on players such as Rory Loy, Denny Johnstone and now John Gemmell and all of them have backfired.  You have to assume that none of them was on a big wage, likewise Jaime Wilson and Robert Jones, and we've also used temporary help like Layne and Oynisan.  Ironically we let the best striker in Calum Gallagher more or less drift away.

We are a League Two club and that makes loan signings more difficult than before.  Meantime Wallace will likely become a regular starter up front and at least he has experience, but staying away from the bottom of the division may soon overtake a top four finish in terms of priority. 

We beat Raith Rovers to Rory Loy’s signature and it was considered a bit of a coup. Not a chance he wasn’t one of our better earners when he signed.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Gregg Wylde over Garrity certainly wasn’t what I was expecting to see. What was the point in bringing him in if he can’t get a start infront of last season’s duds?

Just thinking exactly this. Is reeks of being too cautious and defensive when we could have a go. We defeated this same team 4-0 last time out and they are arguably on a worse run of form now than back then. I really fear for this today and I expect a home win.

Same old from Faz and I hope it works out but can't see how it makes sense when we already lack in attacking players to play a defender over a young offensive player, pointless having him in the squad if he can't get ahead of Gregg Wylde.