New Zealand to ban smoking

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is great news.  I like New Zealand and feel sorry for them that their nearest major neighbour is Australia.

Can we move England closer to Australia and New Zealand closer to Scotland?

Or you could move to NZ? Just an idea, likes…

This bit I found interesting

"The new legislation does not ban vape products, which have become far more popular among younger generations than cigarettes"

Anecdotally I have noticed far fewer young people in the UK smoking in general, but those who do generally vape. To the point I found it quite jarring on holiday when I saw younger people with cigarettes (though, almost without fail, they tended to be German or Dutch).

"It means nicotine will be reduced to non-addictive levels" is a bold claim, however, as not only do vape liquids often contain nicotine, Vaping itself is seen as "cool" in a way that cigarettes definitely are not.

Finally, are we sure "vaping" is less harmful than smoking long term? Smoking is harmful, we know that, but we also know the impact. We don't know the same from vaping.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"The new legislation does not ban vape products, which have become far more popular among younger generations than cigarettes"

Anecdotally I have noticed far fewer young people in the UK smoking in general, but those who do generally vape. To the point I found it quite jarring on holiday when I saw younger people with cigarettes (though, almost without fail, they tended to be German or Dutch).

"It means nicotine will be reduced to non-addictive levels" is a bold claim, however, as not only do vape liquids often contain nicotine, Vaping itself is seen as "cool" in a way that cigarettes definitely are not.

Finally, are we sure "vaping" is less harmful than smoking long term? Smoking is harmful, we know that, but we also know the impact. We don't know the same from vaping.

Public Health England asserted vaping is 'at least 95% safer than smoking' 8 years ago and nobody has challenged that assertion since; not even the complete anti-nicotine lobby like Stanton Glanz. I do dislike kids taking up nicotine with what is a smoking cessation tool, however it's way better than fags, given Sophie's choice. 

NIcotine has to be added to e-liquids; they don't inherently contain it so if the NZ Government want to have low or zero nicotine levels all it needs to do is legislate that; same way as the EU and Canada have made 20mg/ml the maximum by law. You can then either schedule liquid nicotine as an illegal drug, or do what Australia did and require a prescription to purchase it to limit folks ability to make DIY juice. 

Edited by carpetmonster

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

We'll find out more about the long-term effects of vaping in 5-10 years. The people currently vaping are the guinea pigs.

Vaping was originally invented as a means to stop smoking by gradually reducing the nicotine content. It was never intended as a long-term alternate means to take in nicotine.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

If they reduce nicotine in vaping fluids to negligible levels it will quickly die away as a fad, unless they replace it with cannabis oil.

Possibly. I’ve done my time in vaping discords, trying to help folks off the fags and the amount of kids you have to boot who come on and say ‘hey, what’s a good setup for zero nic’ is pretty high; they always turn out to be 14-16 when you push them. The answer I always give is ‘if you don’t need it to get off smoking, don’t do it; spend the cash on something more fun’. At least at much lower levels, you’d hope they wouldn’t get addicted and would be able to bin it off when folks made fun of them for blowing R2D2 

Just now, Wee Bully said:

Is there anything inherently wrong with nicotine?  I thought that it was the addictive bit, but the damage from smoking comes from the tar etc in the cigarette. 

That’s pretty spot on. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor so you should avoid it if you have heart issues or high blood pressure but it’s not carcinogenic in and of itself. Vaping can’t really fail to be safer because by taking combustion out of the piece you’re avoiding tar and carbon monoxide before you’ve even started considering the rest of the shite they put into fags.