Aberdeen v Celtic, sat 12:30

As others have mentioned, Goodwin hasn’t yet got the balance right between making it as hard as possible to concede, and applying our own pressure in pressing and attack.

Its almost as if he is trying too hard to be a tactical genius.

That must be the quietest pittodrie has been for a while, especially 2nd half. Can’t see the fans standing for that style.

Absolutely have to pressurise the opponent much harder and higher on Tuesday, or he will come in for some severe criticism. 
Sevco have had some centre half issues so have to get at their potential weak spot.

Also, Hayes has to play.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’m only really basing this on today but is Miovski the sort of guy who’s only decent when you have a fair bit of possession? Duk seemed to offer a fair bit more than him today.

Also how’s Liam Scales been? 

Yeah that’s fair about miovski. 
scales has been 7/10. 

22 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I’m only really basing this on today but is Miovski the sort of guy who’s only decent when you have a fair bit of possession? Duk seemed to offer a fair bit more than him today.

It looked to me that Miovski was asked today to chase against Carter-Vickers for balls over the top and he doesn’t have the pace for that. If that was the plan it would have been better to play Duk up against him.

30 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Miovski is about finishing, movement off the ball and one touch link up play. In a game like today you won’t see much of him. 

Duk’s style is far more eye catching and fans love him. Strong, Quick, aggressive, incredible work rate and a lot of quality to go with it. So naturally you’ll see a lot more of him. 

I do think duk is the better player but the styles do complement each other for the most part. 

Bit boozy so apologies!

That was the worst negative tactics I've seen from an Aberdeen manager at home to Rangers or Celtic. If Goodwin thinks that tactics is acceptable as a Aberdeen manager then he should resign. I would have said that if we got a 0-0 draw.

Edited by betting competition

28 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Bit boozy so apologies!

That was the worst negative tactics I've seen from an Aberdeen manager at home to Rangers or Celtic. If Goodwin thinks that tactics is acceptable as a Aberdeen manager then he should resign. I would have said that if we got a 0-0 draw.

Was certainly right up with Alex Miller tactics when he was in charge 

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

We defended reasonably well up until that goal.

6 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

We were very disciplined, defended well and allowed Celtic few good chances

I've heard a few people giving it the 'defended well, but...' line.

Firstly, I think that's debatable. Celtic repeatedly got in behind Aberdeen's fullbacks, and they should probably have been three up before they scored.

Secondly, what does 'defended well' even mean when nine of your eleven players on the park are dedicated purely to defending in that match?

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've heard a few people giving it the 'defended well, but...' line.

Firstly, I think that's debatable. Celtic repeatedly got in behind Aberdeen's fullbacks, and they should probably have been three up before they scored.

Secondly, what does 'defended well' even mean when nine of your eleven players on the park are dedicated purely to defending in that match?

Thing is, we did defend reasonably well relative to the fact that’s all you’re doing for 90 minutes. 

The fact is with that set up a good team will still get in behind you multiple times and it is only by luck that they let us off several times before the “sucker punch” (copyright - J goodwin) 

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Erm there's plenty of absolute gang outfits that set up just like that every week, and get scudded 6-0. 

Honestly has to be one of the most bewildering days I can remember as a Dons fan.

Hearts and Hibs generally seem to given them a good game at their maddens, or at least they tend to compete? We even managed it under Glass?

Goodwin was a beaten match in his pre match Sky interview where he talked almost exclusively about us defending, then post match he doubled down on his approach and says he expected Celtic to be the better team.

Even under the dark days of previous managers I can sort of see where managers are coming from, but I’m completely at a loss to what that was all about today.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thing is, we did defend reasonably well relative to the fact that’s all you’re doing for 90 minutes. 

The fact is with that set up a good team will still get in behind you multiple times and it is only by luck that they let us off several times before the “sucker punch” (copyright - J goodwin) 

Aye, this is kind of what I meant. When the sole job of pretty much your entire team is simply to defend, then what counts as doing it well? Aberdeen embarked on a 90-minute training drill.

Anyway, it was quite a bewildering thing to watch. To begin with it was just boring, but the longer it went on, the more essential viewing it became. Like a bizarre piece of artwork that you can't stop looking at but don't know why.

It actually drew people in the pub into watching the game. It had a fascinating quality about it.

Edited by VincentGuerin

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye, this is kind of what I meant. When the sole job of pretty much your entire team is simply to defend, then what counts as doing it well? Aberdeen embarked on a 90-minute training drill.

Anyway, it was quite a bewildering thing to watch. To begin with it was just boring, but the longer it went on, the more essential viewing it became. Like a bizarre piece of artwork that you can't stop looking at but don't know why.

It actually drew people in the pub into watching the game. It had a fascinating quality about it.

They don’t call us the great entertainers for nothing. Glad you enjoyed. 

With the East Fife game being off, I watched this in the pub. 

I actually think Goodwin almost got this one right. Okay they conceded a shitload of possession but for the most part they defended very well against a Celtic side who looked lacking in ideas, and understandably less than match sharp. Aberdeen also did provide a threat on the break. 

I realise that almost getting it right and losing 1-0, whilst effectively parking the bus, might not be a good reflection from an Aberdeen point of view, but how else could Goodwin have set up without the high risk of an absolute skelping? 

34 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Honestly has to be one of the most bewildering days I can remember as a Dons fan.

Hearts and Hibs generally seem to given them a good game at their maddens, or at least they tend to compete? We even managed it under Glass?

Goodwin was a beaten match in his pre match Sky interview where he talked almost exclusively about us defending, then post match he doubled down on his approach and says he expected Celtic to be the better team.

Even under the dark days of previous managers I can sort of see where managers are coming from, but I’m completely at a loss to what that was all about today.

It was like watching a lower league team at home to Celtic in the Cup.

Unacceptable.

Goodwin is not managing Alloa now, or indeed St Mirren.

At home, Aberdeen should at least show intent to win any game against Scottish teams.

Tactically inept. Not for the first time.

6 hours ago, Jute said:

Got what we deserved from the game. Unbelievably negative approach to the game from Goodwin. Will not be bothering with any other games against Celtic this season to watch those sort of tactics.  

Same here....£33 for South Stand to watch that is extortion.  No wonder therev was such a poor crowd today....suspect many knew the script and decided against suffering that negative rubbish. 

Before the game I was keen to get a ticket for the Rangers game on Tuesday but I am afraid that has put me off and can;t see me bothering now

16 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

With the East Fife game being off, I watched this in the pub. 

I actually think Goodwin almost got this one right. Okay they conceded a shitload of possession but for the most part they defended very well against a Celtic side who looked lacking in ideas, and understandably less than match sharp. Aberdeen also did provide a threat on the break. 

I realise that almost getting it right and losing 1-0, whilst effectively parking the bus, might not be a good reflection from an Aberdeen point of view, but how else could Goodwin have set up without the high risk of an absolute skelping? 

I think you’re confusing surviving 85 minutes without conceding and defending very well. 

If jota pings one in after 20 mins or Celtic take 2 or 3 of the chances they created then no one is posting tonight saying we defended very well. 

28 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Same here....£33 for South Stand to watch that is extortion.  No wonder therev was such a poor crowd today....suspect many knew the script and decided against suffering that negative rubbish. 

Before the game I was keen to get a ticket for the Rangers game on Tuesday but I am afraid that has put me off and can;t see me bothering now

Problem is, there’s every chance we continue to have a decent season and so we might have important games against Celtic in both league and cup to come - the attitude from the manager will put people off going en masse.

If there was an ounce of contrition or self awareness post match then we could put it down to a massive f**k up and move on, but he seemed almost proud of himself that his “gameplan” nearly came off.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I'm a season ticket holder but after a day's work and the prospect of an early start for work the following day then I'm also not sure whether turning up to watch another 90 minutes of us defending in depth like San Marino is worth attending.

Can see it being as low as 12,000 on Tuesday.