**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 Films of All Time**

Wee-Bey

12th (up 13)

Apocalypse Now (1979) Coppola

apocalypse-now.jpg.836391b27587b20a80238c010372fc17.jpg

"The horror...the horror"

From the opening scenes, to the attack on the village with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, to the tense journey up the river and into the Heart of Darkness in Cambodia and the final confrontation between Martin Sheen's Willard and Marlon Brando's renegade Col. Kurtz. This is an epic and one of the greatest films of all time.

As an aside the the above, it's interesting how many war films have made the list. Something about war that produces long lasting evocative art and culture, although the contrast is that not a single film from either Iraq War (or Afghanistan) made the list. Is there a single film that would even make a top 200 ? Or better than the top 10 WWII or Vietnam films ? Possibly The Hurt Locker, although I'm not particularly a fan of it. The overall standard is woeful.

Saw Apocalypse Now Redux when it was released in the Enzian Theatre in Orlando. The dinner scene with the French aristos is way too long but the other extra scenes work well.

The cinema is a "dinner theater" where you turn up early for food and drink then when the film starts you have staff crawling around in the dark whispering "top up your coke sir?".

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Seeing Star Trek in a list of the top 100 films voted by P&B'ers is a low point for this site.

nerds GIF

Also seeing a Top 100 list being rattled through at a fair old rate of knots must be boiling your piss too. 

31 minutes ago, Slim Charles. said:

As an aside the the above, it's interesting how many war films have made the list. Something about war that produces long lasting evocative art and culture, although the contrast is that not a single film from either Iraq War (or Afghanistan) made the list. Is there a single film that would even make a top 200 ? Or better than the top 10 WWII or Vietnam films ? Possibly The Hurt Locker, although I'm not particularly a fan of it. The overall standard is woeful.

Possibly also partly due to fact that all or nearly all respondents are male, too, maybe?

11th (up 12)

Jaws (1975) Spielberg 

jaws-1975-roy-scheider-richard-dreyfuss-boat.thumb.jpg.ed06e4eba23fd95657f2d1089fc0a0b6.jpg

"You're gonna' need a bigger boat"

Considered a bit of a game changer for Hollywood as the 1st big 'summer blockbuster' and singlehandedly responsible for a decrease in visits to the beach and installing a fear of the sea into a generation. At its most basic, this is simply the story of a couple of dudes on a boat trying to catch a shark. The way the tension is ratcheted up by John Williams' famous, often parodied, but simple 2 key tone is incredible.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Possibly also partly due to fact that all or nearly all respondents are male, too, maybe?

Yeah, that's a good point, this is quite a narrow demographic. I'll ask the missus for her top 10. I know The Green Mile will be no.1, but I think Saving Private Ryan might have a shout of being included.

4 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

I wonder if it's partly because we all "saw" the more recent stuff due to the advent of 24h rolling news, meaning most of the story is already known by the public, so no-one can be fucked trying to tell a better version?

5 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

13th (down 2)

Reservoir Dogs (1992) Tarantino 

50b0c6ad8d34c58587ec7164765d362d78-27-reservoir-dogs_2x_h473_w710.thumb.jpg.2b029520f8f49cb908d5cbe4117d82a2.jpg

"You ever listen to K-Billy's 'Super Sounds of the Seventies' weekend ? It's my favourite."

Quentin Tarantino bursts on to the scene with this debut tale of a diamond heist gone wrong, with all the features we've come to associate with his catalogue, bloody often stylized violence, witty often irrelevant dialogue and homages to pop culture and other films.

Good description of Quentin's films here.

10th (down 6)

The Godfather (1972) Coppola 

Godfather-Style-Header-2502x1200-c-center.thumb.jpg.73b359e068813af8df200291efaad1b1.jpg

"Look how they massacred my boy"

Time to stick some cotton wool in your cheeks, grab a box of cannoli, leave a horses head in someone's bed, go to war with the Five Familes and make an offer you can't refuse. It's The Godfather baby. Responsible for a whole libraries' worth of Italian-American crime media and negative stereotypes since 1972.

Re: war films.

• WWII is an infamously easy win for narrative writers - the Nazis have become shorthand for evil. Fiction writers in all sorts of genres still invoke Hitler and his stormtroopers to quickly establish that the bad guys are c***s, and you should feel threatened by, and hate them. You can notoriously do anything to Nazis, and it's just pure catharsis.
  • WWI has produced masses of drama about the horrors inflicted on ordinary men at the start of industrialised warfare; millions of humans pointlessly thrown into a meat grinder as the world is bombarded into a nightmare hellscape.
  • America essentially had a mental breakdown over the Vietnam War, and attempted to play that out in drama. They never managed to come to terms with the fact that, for all their military might, they were unable to walk into a relatively unsophisticated sovereign nation and force them to bow to their political ideology, resulting in the deaths of millions, and no benefit to ordinary people on either side.
    You could say Zulu is Britain's version of the Vietnam films - arrogant invaders having to come to terms with being given a bloody nose by an "inferior" culture.

Britain and America "won" in Afghanistan/Iraq, against enemies that are difficult to portray as entirely monstrous. The soldiers we sent were professionals who chose to be there. The most morally interesting aspects come from the slaughter of civilians, who were foreigners and therefore less valuable to people here, and the machinations of the politicians and businessmen who led us there, which can produce interesting drama but "I'm a sociopath and want to make money from launching an unnecessary war with no consequences" isn't really something the public wants to absorb.

There's been some talk about how Afghanistan/Iraq didn't lead to any great musical movements either, other than the "our military is great in all circumstances and must always be supported" genre. It comes down to the fact that there's no great inspirational drama here, no great hardship for ordinary people on "our" side, no embarrassing military setbacks, just cold, calculated business that people aren't really interested in. People like Donald Rumsfeld must have been pretty happy that it turned out like that.

9th (new entry)

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Kubrick

2001-a-space-odyssey-review.thumb.jpg.cfd283b7cfadf0e9b04a517144b13dad.jpg

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."

The highest new entry on the list. (what were you savages doing back in 2012 ? Laughing at Rangers probably) Kubrick's masterpiece, adapted from Arthur C. Clarke's short story, was years ahead of it's time with pioneering special effects and scientific realism.

On 18/12/2022 at 10:14, JustOneCornetto said:

There was a P&B Top 50 done about 10 years ago by DomDom (remember him?, used to change his name often so don't know what he's called these days)

Anyway I have a note of how that Top 50 ended up so so will put it in spoilers on this post when I get time. Will be interesting to compare after 10 years how it's changed.

Reveal hidden contents

P&B Top 50 Films (2012)

1= Goodfellas

1= Pulp Fiction

3 Shawshank Redemption

4= The Godfather

4= The Godfather II

6 The Dark Knight

7 Trainspotting

8 The Departed

9= The Usual Suspects

9= American History X

11 Reservoir Dogs

12 Blade Runner

13 The Big Lebowski

14 Die Hard

15 Once Upon A Time In America

16 The Good The Bad And The Ugly

17 Star Wars V: The Emoire Strikes Back

18= Alien

18= 12 Angry Men

20 Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

21= Forest Gump

21= Fight Club

23= Jaws

23= Star Wars IV: A New Hope

25= Apocalypse Now

25= Raging Bull

25= Scarface

25= Monty Python & The Holy Grail

29= Anchorman

29= Dawn of the Dead (original)

31= The Deer Hunter

31= The Great Escape

33= One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

33= Superbad

35= Back To The Future

35= Se7en

35= True Romance

35= Jurassic Park

35= It’s A Wonderful Life

35= Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi

41= Inception

41= North By Northwest

41= Gladiator

41= Remember The Titans

45= Airplane

45= Paths Of Glory

45= Toy Story

48= American Psycho

48= American Beauty

48= No Country For Old Men

48= Drive

48= Inglorious Basterds

48= The Prestige

48= Monty Python: Life Of Brian

48= Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring

Post showing list of top fifty from last vote.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

8th (up 9)

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) Lucas

luke-darth-vader-empire-strikes-back.thumb.jpg.ee00c81efb3d904355ee7422c69cf443.jpg

"No, I am your father"

One of the world's biggest and most lucrative franchises gets a 2nd mention on the list. This 'sequel', now part 5 of 'The Skywalker Saga' sees fan favourites Lando and Boba Fett introduced while the gang struggles to gain the initiative as one of cinemas iconic bad guys Darth Vader and the Empire eh... strike back !

7th (up 5)

Blade Runner (1982) Scott

bladerunner-refresher.thumb.jpg.fd89dbd1c00aa744d34ca125ea193485.jpg

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain."

Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep ? Harrison Ford's Rick Deckard doesn't care as he hunts Roy Batty's group of escaped replicants in Ridley Scott's Sci fi epic. I'd imagine many chose this for the incredible imagination and visuals of a technologically advanced but decaying dystopia.