Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

45 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Lads, we have about 12 players and our manager admitted Annan should've stuck 10 past us in the first-half on Saturday.

I'm fairly optimistic by nature. But, unless something crazy happens like an early red card of injury to Carrick, you're not going to lose tonight.

Even accounting for the recent injuries it’s actually starting to look like the players have either downed tools or stopped playing for the manager. The nature of some of our recent defeats have been hugely concerning IMHO. Taking nothing away from the likes of Annan or Albion Rovers but there is no way we should be going out and looking like we could concede double figures against anyone in our league. At least it’s looking likely that we wont have to watch Russell McLean making it obvious he’s not remotely bothering his arse tonight.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Hard to argue with his main points "out of form, injuries a factor but no excuse, need to get back to earlier season performances, form been poor every time they've tried a shape change". But the onus is on him and his staff to form a winning shape from the players available, foster a belief and a winning mentality.

As an aside, that website is an abortion.

Does anyone actually want this game to go ahead tonight? Can we just forfeit the game, give Stirling the night off for a celebratory piss up and see if we can do enough to secure a playoff spot in our remaining fixtures. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more away fans than home fans tonight.

36 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Even accounting for the recent injuries it’s actually starting to look like the players have either downed tools or stopped playing for the manager. The nature of some of our recent defeats have been hugely concerning IMHO. Taking nothing away from the likes of Annan or Albion Rovers but there is no way we should be going out and looking like we could concede double figures against anyone in our league. At least it’s looking likely that we wont have to watch Russell McLean making it obvious he’s not remotely bothering his arse tonight.

I think there may be something in this.  This is a good squad and a better manager with more chemistry with the team would be getting a lot more out of them.

Edited by Thommo90

Would you say Farrell has earned the right for a crack at the playoffs, regardless of the current decline? 

I don't think that's a straightforward question to answer, despite it being redundant, as he's going nowhere.

Edited by FifeSons

As a Stirling fan, would take a point tonight. We got all this defeatist chat from Sons fans last time and they showed they were still a good team battling. Would expect same tonight.

We haven't been playing well recently and if we got tanked by Dumbarton it wouldn't be surprising.

I'm still relatively confident we have enough to go on and win the league but not counting on anything from tonight

5 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

As a Stirling fan, would take a point tonight. We got all this defeatist chat from Sons fans last time and they showed they were still a good team battling. Would expect same tonight.

We haven't been playing well recently and if we got tanked by Dumbarton it wouldn't be surprising.

I'm still relatively confident we have enough to go on and win the league but not counting on anything from tonight

It really would be.

16 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Would you say Farrell has earned the right for a crack at the playoffs, regardless of the current decline? 

I don't think that's a straightforward question to answer, despite it being redundant, as he's going nowhere.

Yes.

Injuries have absolutely destroyed us. If we had everybody fit them we wouldn't have seen the dramatic collapse. We might still have struggled to secure the title, but the size of our squad is a major issue. And struggling to sign the likes of Russell McLean.

What we're seeing is the result of a lack of money catching up with us. Having to take a punt on cheaper signings with injuries in their past. It doesn't mean that Farrell doesn't deserve some criticism. We haven't played entertaining or ambitious football all season. But at this point in time he's earned a bit of sympathy.

2 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

We got all this defeatist chat from Sons fans last time and they showed they were still a good team battling. Would expect same tonight.

For the avoidance of doubt, the defeatist chat isn’t unwarranted and our situation is even worse since the 2-2 draw at Stirling. In our last 5 we’ve lost 4 and drawn 1 (Stirling away), scored 5 and conceded 13. Arguably two of those games could’ve been far worse (5-1 vs Rovers & 3-1 vs Annan). The performance and result away at Stirling is the anomaly.

Of course football isn’t as black and white as we’re pish, you’re quite good therefore you will win but I wouldn’t be judging us based on that one performance because everything that has surrounded it has been utterly desperate stuff from a team who look like they are at rock bottom confidence wise.

16 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

Injuries have absolutely destroyed us. If we had everybody fit them we wouldn't have seen the dramatic collapse. We might still have struggled to secure the title, but the size of our squad is a major issue. And struggling to sign the likes of Russell McLean.

What we're seeing is the result of a lack of money catching up with us. Having to take a punt on cheaper signings with injuries in their past. It doesn't mean that Farrell doesn't deserve some criticism. We haven't played entertaining or ambitious football all season. But at this point in time he's earned a bit of sympathy.

There’s no denying injuries to some key players have played a part but is our squad really all that much smaller than everyone else in the league? I’d have thought a squad of 20/21 is about standard for this level? I may well be wrong as I haven’t really delved into what other clubs have squad wise.

Edited to add: the Stirling website only lists 19 players in their squad but I’m not entirely sure how accurate that is.

Edited to add again: I found this on Transfer Markt (again may not be accurate) that suggests our squad is joint 3rd biggest with a whole host of teams operating with the same number of players as us…

0465F43C-F29D-44B5-A4DE-B5E890B50449.thumb.jpeg.89842093e494f4abfdbb40b802d6a93c.jpeg

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

I think that's pretty fair.

However, I don't think the dramatic nature of the collapse can be attributed solely to the injuries and lack of funds (again, I heard our budget is right up there for L2). It sounds like we were all over the place on Saturday, with a reasonable starting 11. Its hard to see us turning it around, but I hope for the best. Throughout his managerial career, Farrell has only proved to do well in short spells (beginning of last season and this and a much shortened season at Stranraer). He's definitely still got a lot of work to do to convince me.

37 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Wow, where have all these Stirling posters come from over the last few weeks @WC Boggs?? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Much excitement in the BB_Bino house today, we’re all just itching to get along to the game tonight. Anything but a win is failure and Young needs to be gone by the time the cars return home 😉🤪

Having worked with Farrell previously, I’m not surprised at how things are panning out for him and Dumbarton, have said that a number of times over the season. All the Dumbarton fans I have met over the years have been nothing but a great bunch, and I wish you well for the Play Offs, but I will take great pleasure in celebrating in the stands as Farrells face trips him as he trudges off, all going well 🤞🏻

It doesn't really matter where the extra voices, or bodies in the stadium have come from mate.  What matters is that the club gets the financial benefits of the players' efforts 

That sounds very personal with Farrell, you might want to cool that down a tad.  We've got to lose sometime, if it's tonight I won't be turning on Young over it.  He doesn't deserve that.

16 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes.

While agreeing with about the injuries our squad is a pretty average size for the division

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There’s no denying injuries to some key players have played a part but is our squad really all that much smaller than everyone else in the league? I’d have thought a squad of 20/21 is about standard for this level? I may well be wrong as I haven’t really delved into what other clubs have squad wise.

According to each club's website.

Stirling 19

Annan 19

East Fife 25

Stenny 18

Forfar 19

Stranraer 21

Bonnyrigg 23

Albion Rovers 19

Elgin 22

Dumbarton 21.