Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

12 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

It didn't sound like you at all.  Ya got me good BB.

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Edited to add: the Stirling website only lists 19 players in their squad but I’m not entirely sure how accurate that is.

Having had a wee look through, this would be right. Fotheringham returned to his club in January, Burns was released and Hay went out on loan. All 3 were replaced by Spence, Duffy and Weir. There have been a number of times this season where we’ve not had a full bench or lads from the Development Squad have come in (which I’m all for) to train or to fill it, so yeah, this would be a fair reflection. Of our squad.

Both teams are suffering from the jitters. DFC could have lost heavily to Annan. Stirling could have suffered at the feet of Hester. Our manager did comment on that fact. Re DY, don’t know  if he has his CV pinned up in the dressing room. But Stirling players will be aware of his past record.

The thought of umpteen cup finals and requiring something against AR at Cliftonhill. Please no.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Speaking of injuries, would it be fair to say Stirling have been quite fortunate on that front, this season?

Feels like we've had a few defenders in and out of the team, but I remember injury problems being much worse in previous seasons.

Keeping Carrick and Thomson fit and playing in virtually every game has obviously been cruicial.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There’s no denying injuries to some key players have played a part but is our squad really all that much smaller than everyone else in the league? I’d have thought a squad of 20/21 is about standard for this level? I may well be wrong as I haven’t really delved into what other clubs have squad wise.

Edited to add: the Stirling website only lists 19 players in their squad but I’m not entirely sure how accurate that is.

Edited to add again: I found this on Transfer Markt (again may not be accurate) that suggests our squad is joint 3rd biggest with a whole host of teams operating with the same number of players as us…

0465F43C-F29D-44B5-A4DE-B5E890B50449.thumb.jpeg.89842093e494f4abfdbb40b802d6a93c.jpeg

If 16 year old Vata is included in the 21 then yes. Add Gemmell. That takes us to 19 before the more recent injuries.

And that's before you look at Eden Lynch being one of the squad. 

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Speaking of injuries, would it be fair to say Stirling have been quite fortunate on that front, this season?

Yes it is fair, we've been blessed.  As opposed to last season where we sure weren't. We suffered the same slump you have and it's no fun at all.  It took a new manager to dig us out of the hole.

32 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

If 16 year old Vata is included in the 21 then yes. Add Gemmell. That takes us to 19 before the more recent injuries.

And that's before you look at Eden Lynch being one of the squad. 

Vata I’ll give you considering he’s been bumped up to the snior squad to cover injuries but I’m not sure why you’d exclude Lynch or Gemmell. They were both signed/retained to be a part of Farrell’s first team squad this year. 

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Vata I’ll give you considering he’s been bumped up to the snior squad to cover injuries but I’m not sure why you’d exclude Lynch or Gemmell. They were both signed/retained to be a part of Farrell’s first team squad this year. 

Lynch is a glorified junior player and Gemmell was a risk. I've argued before that it was a risk worth taking, but clubs with the budget to build competitive squads don't sign guys like Lynch 

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

There's been a bit of good fortune eg the postponements around Christmas but the manager has played the squad well and the medical guys have been top class in managing injuries.  

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

We’ve definitely been more fortunate than most but I wouldn’t say we’ve been completely void of injuries. Jack leitch was out for a good few months, Cummings has now been out for a few weeks now, Davidson was out for a while at the beginning of the season, Cooper has been fit for about a month this whole season and, not an injury but we lost out best player in Fotheringham in January.

That being said, Paul McLean, Carrick, Thompson, McGeachie and Currie being fit for the majority of the season has been key