Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Calm doon 🤣 a handful of folk commented that they expected more of a celebration which is a fairly normal thing to expect when only a miracle or a deliberate move to chuck the title (which still probably wouldn’t work) is now the only thing in your way.

It’s one thing saying “I expected more celebrating”, it’s quite another to say we are a “gormless fanbase” for not going wild at the final whistle — that gets into sour grapes territory and of course people are going to push back. 

I get the sense that not getting our arse handed to us last night has emboldened some Sons posters to create some sort of weird narrative about the Stirling support somehow not appreciating what their team had just achieved.

Utter crap.  It was a dour, tight goalless draw between two teams who have recently had a punishing fixture list, and in our case a slew of injuries.  The crowd response merely mirrored that.  No doubt if there had been smoke bombs and a pitch invasion that would have had folk complaining too.

The Bino are very worthy champions and anyone concerned about their support not celebrating will I'm sure be very welcome to attend Forthbank on Saturday, when a very focused Annan will no doubt tear up the script 😉.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We were in the same situation in 2008, league wasn't officially over until the last game but the previous week we humped Elgin 6-0 and had a huge celebration. Let yer hair down and crack the champagne. 

They neither won the game, nor officially won the league, and they didn't even get a goal to celebrate. I wasn't there but I'd have expected the celebrations at the end to be muted. We've won a league twice in my lifetime, both at Forfar and both were superbly celebrated with a large support on the pitch (and on both occasions Forfar were gracious hosts, playing 'We are the Champions' and party music, etc. However, both times we actually formally clinched it. Neither would have happened if it had been reliant on a dominant GD, they'd have waited a week.

4 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

I spoke to DY and Kyle Banner after the match and they essentially admitted that the mood in the camp for most of the second half was to make sure they didn’t lose the game. It tallied up with the approach on subs etc in the second half I would say.

The fact the game was a bit of a stinker probably didn’t help the atmosphere on either side - there was little to really get excited about from effectively the opening minutes of the game and the whole thing felt like an anticlimax.

It wouldn’t  surprised me if the players were told not to creat any flashpoints during the game that might fire up Dumbarton for this game and the rest. Better to let the game just pass by in the dull way it did in order to wrap up the title.

I was certainly celebrating at home last night and I've got a hangover for a chaser.   As far as I was concerned we just needed a point from this game to shut any real danger of blowing the title.  Maybe others had a higher expectation, who knows?

I do think the win at Stenny was as much  a  euphoric expression of relief, as much as a celebration.  Getting a point at  Dumbarton was equally euphoric for me, as for the first time in a long hard season, we don't have to shit ourselves at the thought of a loss.   I can understand why some Sons supporters are surprised not to have seen that expressed in euphoria at the Rock.  It's not a hanging offence, 

Nagging fear has haunted me this season, but it's gone now.  It's haunted Sons fans all season too, even when they were well in front.  If anything they have been proved right and I have been proved wrong,  They have my sympathy and I wish them every success in the play offs.  They were rivals not enemies. I'm now focused on getting to the day I see a trophy arriving.  That's all the one upmanship any of us should need. 

Not a surprise that Binos didn't celebrate, we're not officially champions. It takes the edge off. 

Anyone at Brechin in 2010 or Methil in 2014, not to mention Airdrie in 2007 will know that celebrating is done when the thing is won. 

It would not surprise me if Annan won on Sat, and East Fife get a draw.

We'd be champs, but would you feel like celebrating? 

38 minutes ago, Andy Plumb said:

Not a surprise that Binos didn't celebrate, we're not officially champions. It takes the edge off. 

Anyone at Brechin in 2010 or Methil in 2014, not to mention Airdrie in 2007 will know that celebrating is done when the thing is won. 

It would not surprise me if Annan won on Sat, and East Fife get a draw.

We'd be champs, but would you feel like celebrating? 

Yes I would feel like celebrating, because it's about deserved applause for a  team winning a title over a full season of performances, not one single game and a bruised ego.  Jesus Christ!  

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Thanks for thinking of US at a time of day when you should either have been steaming, getting your hole, or both.

For what it's worth I was thinking of you too.  I was delighted you'd stuffed it right up the arseholes claiming you wouldn't even finish second.  

Dumbarton fc has just emailed me and presumably others to say that after the match a group of 16 year old Stirling fans chased the Young Sons supporters group, assaulting 2 of them who are 10 years old. Anyone want to own up? I'll happily kick their faces clean off their skulls.