Cove's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Cove's next permanent manager?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Cove are 10 points clear of relegation but only 9 points short of the promotion play-offs. What a sham of a club punting their manager just because the in-law has cocked his career up. I sincerely hope whoever is playing Cove this week gives them a right good tanning.

You mean another one.

Surely Cove's aim this year was entirely about staying in the league and it appears that McIntyre had them in a good position to do just that. I had thought from previous interviews, the chairman had acknowledged they had got here earlier than planned and this year was about just surviving in the league. Previously had a soft spot from Cove from living in the area and thinking they were trying to progress in the right way but this sacking makes no sense. Stinks of a well backed club getting ahead of themselves after a bit off success in previous years and getting rid of a manager seemingly meeting the brief they're set. A bit of me now hoping it is Hartley that is reappointed and results go into freefall.

Edited by bullywee2010

2 hours ago, bullywee2010 said:

Surely Cove's aim this year was entirely about staying in the league and it appears that McIntyre had them in a good position to do just that. I had thought from previous interviews, the chairman had acknowledged they had got here earlier than planned and this year was about just surviving in the league. Previously had a soft spot from Cove from living in the area and thinking they were trying to progress in the right way but this sacking makes no sense. Stinks of a well backed club getting ahead of themselves after a bit off success in previous years and getting rid of a manager seemingly meeting the brief they're set. A bit of me now hoping it is Hartley that is reappointed and results go into freefall.

Or there were other reasons taken into account for his sacking?

29 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

As in the owners son-in-law being desperate for a job? 

In all seriousness they maybe never saw much of a future with McIntyre and they were simply waiting for Hartley to fail before getting him back. 

18 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Sacking a manager at this stage of the season is a risky strategy IMO and one that could backfire. 

Dunfermline and Queen of the South both did similar risky-as-f**k moves last season and ended up relegated.

Was thinking that punting Jim Duffy just a few days before Christmas last year helped Ayr in the longer term but then wondered if we sacked him or he resigned?

16 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Was thinking that punting Jim Duffy just a few days before Christmas last year helped Ayr in the longer term but then wondered if we sacked him or he resigned?

Duffy was sacked. Having people in the boardroom who are willing to pull the trigger when it's not working out is a refreshing change. Mark Kerr would probably still be in charge if Lachlan was still the owner.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

As in the owners son-in-law being desperate for a job? 

In all seriousness they maybe never saw much of a future with McIntyre and they were simply waiting for Hartley to fail before getting him back. 

There obviously is that.

Just saying that not being in the worst position might only be one part of any consideration.

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

The official club statement mentioned “transfer window”. We did the same to our coach a year ago. Inexperienced but doing reasonably well and learning along the way. But that’s not enough for individuals ploughing money in. It’s a fair shout I’d say to question whether McIntyre had the contacts to make a difference and spend the cash wisely. Clearly Cove need a few bodies in to establish their status and this window is the time to get it right. It was probably a decision made at the family Christmas dinner.

25 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The official club statement mentioned “transfer window”. We did the same to our coach a year ago. Inexperienced but doing reasonably well and learning along the way. But that’s not enough for individuals ploughing money in. It’s a fair shout I’d say to question whether McIntyre had the contacts to make a difference and spend the cash wisely. Clearly Cove need a few bodies in to establish their status and this window is the time to get it right. It was probably a decision made at the family Christmas dinner.

McIntyre was taking us on a road to nowhere sadly. Our fans disliked him within a few months of him being in charge. Man management, tactics, formations were all over the place. Did suss it out a bit thereafter but his pessimistic attitude for me was quite draining. Could be he wasn't given ample budget or wasn't trusted to splash some of the cash but a change was needed.

I think it was definitely more risky keeping him and praying he keeps us up than getting someone else in who's more capable and might spur us on.

Not an ideal scenario to be in but we need a manager appointed before the next game preferably and some decent business conducted in the window. Already had two loanees recalled and another loanee out with a 2 month injury

If it's Hartley next he/the board were just waiting for a scudding to make the change.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

He was sacked. Disinterested cliche ridden dinosaur that he is. He set us up so negatively it was depressing watching your attacking players warming the bench.

I thought Hopkin was bad but Duffy was almost as bad. It still amazes me that we managed to turn it around. Having had those two disasters in charge.

We had 4 managers within a year! It was nuts after the relative stability of the Lachlan years where it felt like a job for life for the incumbent at times.

Timeline was below, in 10/11 months we had 4 managers:

21 Feb 2021 Mark Kerr sacked

11 Mar 2021 David Hopkin appointed

9 Sep 2021 Hopkin chucks it

01 Oct 2021 Duffy appointed permanent manager following spell as caretaker.

20 December 2021 Jim Duffy sacked 

7 January 2022 Lee Bullen appointed

Edited by Trogdor

4 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Duffy is the classic pinball in Scottish Football, bouncing off club to club.

13 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Holy moly! I didn’t realise Hartley was let go in September. Nah! Cove have to show a bit of integrity here.

https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/news/2022/september/club-statement--paul-hartley-and-gordon-young/

Nepotism >>> Integrity