The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

I'd love them to appeal the red card - see where that gets them .

Nowhere, it's a foolish challenge and a red card every day of the week in 2023.

Similar to the Pitmann challenge in the Livi game against us - red card after VAR but they were arguing Pitmann's momentum took him into the collision with Baccus and where else could he go. They appealed and lost, out of interest does anyone know how many appeals result in overturning the "original" decision?

Edited by btb

There was 1 minute to go and the ref had blown for a foul for us. Fraser jumped over the two on the ground to get the ball to take a quick free kick to launch it into the box for a last gasp attempt. Unfortunately he landed on the Hearts player.

Just now, Currahee! said:

Is it not to do with VAR? When we played Utd the other week it was 

It's more about the order of events.

Hearts player fouls Saints player A.

Referee awards foul to Saints.

Saints player B commits red card offence.

Foul then given to Hearts.

I always thought that offences committed once play was stopped were treated separatly.

Don't think VAR will have changed that.

Can only think there's some rarely applied rule that most folk haven't heard of, hence why I was hoping Sportscene would enlighten us.

Seemed a very strange decision at the time.

9 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I always thought that offences committed once play was stopped were treated separatly.

Can only think there's some rarely applied rule that most folk haven't heard of, hence why I was hoping Sportscene would enlighten us.

Apparently a more serious offence i.e. violent conduct [by Fraser], supersedes the initial award for a foul.

2 hours ago, Billy_Gunn said:

He’s a foreign Danny Mullen. He’ll run around a lot, charge people down, pop up will a goal now and again and the fans will love him for it, but realistically he’s not very good.

Brophy finishes that chance absolutely no question.

Brophy would probably have been off injured by then.

The reason why Greive missed yesterday is also the same reason why Brophy has never scored at the SMISA stadium.

24 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

The simple explanation is that our officials are all pretty shite and like to make it up as they go along.

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Apparently a more serious offence i.e. violent conduct [by Fraser], supersedes the initial award for a foul.

I guess so.  

In all my years of watching football live and on the telly I don’t think I’ve ever seen this happen though.

4 hours ago, Billy_Gunn said:

He’s a foreign Danny Mullen. He’ll run around a lot, charge people down, pop up will a goal now and again and the fans will love him for it, but realistically he’s not very good.

Brophy finishes that chance absolutely no question.

Your unwavering faith in Brophy is highly commendable Billy, but I have absolutely no idea what it’s based on. 

3 hours ago, btb said:

Nowhere, it's a foolish challenge and a red card every day of the week in 2023.

Similar to the Pitmann challenge in the Livi game against us - red card after VAR but they were arguing Pitmann's momentum took him into the collision with Baccus and where else could he go. They appealed and lost, out of interest does anyone know how many appeals result in overturning the "original" decision?

I think post VAR, the chances of overturning a decision has reduced significantly. You are now asking them to over rule 2 referees, who have had the time to review footage.

You would be better sending the thousand pounds to charity.

3 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think post VAR, the chances of overturning a decision has reduced significantly. You are now asking them to over rule 2 referees, who have had the time to review footage.

You would be better sending the thousand pounds to charity.

As far as I understand it, is the appeal not a slightly better chance of getting it overturned?

I thought a VAR thing had to be a clear error by the ref, while an appeal ref could look at it and decide the error wasn't obvious, but it should probably be a yellow. No?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

As far as I understand it, is the appeal not a slightly better chance of getting it overturned?

I thought a VAR thing had to be a clear error by the ref, while an appeal ref could look at it and decide the error wasn't obvious, but it should probably be a yellow. No?

I think you’re right but it the protectionist world of the SFA……………I suspect it would need to be a lot clearer than before VAR for them to intervene.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

I spent 5 years living in Edinburgh, if the person I was speaking to was a Hearts fan, and they found out I was a St Mirren fan, it was a good chance I'd get some comment about it, accompanied by OF levels of whining and whataboutery.

Presumably those five years were in the late 80s, because I've lived in Edinburgh all my life, been a Hearts season ticket holder most of that time and know quite a few Saints fans - and I've not heard a single Hearts' fan seriously whining about that game for literally years. Occasional shorthand of St Liedown aside, that is - and that's hardly 'OF levels of whining and whataboutery'.

Much more likely to reference the Celtic Store banner than 1986, if anything.

Funnily enough St Mirren fans complained about one their players getting sent off last week. Either there is a conspiracy against them  and they are victims or…. 

Edited by NFL12

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Haven’t seen Sportscene.  

Did they clear up why the free kick was given to Hearts?

That was the only genuinely confusing bit about the decisions made (though, oddly, the commentators on Hearts TV seemed to take it for granted the free kick would be reversed as soon as Fraser was red carded, so maybe there's some new rule of which we mere mortals are not aware).

7 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

That was the only genuinely confusing bit about the decisions made (though, oddly, the commentators on Hearts TV seemed to take it for granted the free kick would be reversed as soon as Fraser was red carded, so maybe there's some new rule of which we mere mortals are not aware).

Just asked a current SPFL referee of my acquaintance and he says it was a refereeing mistake - 'the restart should have been a direct free kick for the initial offence'.