The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

A wee rarity in the offing with two back to back league games against the same opposition as we face Hearts in Paisley on Sautrday and the rearranged fixture from earlier in the season at Tynecastle the following Friday night. The two sexiest away strips in the league meet at last.

Hearts are clearly the best of the rest again this season and have strengthened up front with Shankland being an inspired signing after questions over his ability to score regularly in the top flight in Scotland at Aberdeen then Dundee Utd. He's been on fire for Hearts this season and is the obvious danger man in the two games.

We come into it in a really strong position, 5 points behind Hearts having played a game less than them. The admittedly extremely unlikely scenario of 6 St. Mirren points would see us third with a game still in hand. 

We're still a bit up in the air how we'll go into this. Erhahon will definitely be suspended for both games and probably sold by then anyway and Ayunga is still touch and go up front, at least for the first meeting.

I'd be happy right now with an exchange of wins in the two games. Both sides are proving hardest to beat so far out of the 'other 10' this season with only 6 league defeats each. Tynecastle is a horrendous hunting ground for us though and we generally do not too badly against Hearts on our own patch. A win and a defeat apiece is definitely more palatable for both sides than cancelling each other out over both games but I'd imagine Hearts will be looking for a minimum of four points between the two games.

Interesting couple of games ahead. Reasons for concern/optimism in decent measure.

St Mirren are strong at home, but we should really be looking to nail on the three points at Tynecastle. We're good at home and they've only won once away all season. That said, they've just picked up two decent draws on the road, so maybe they're turning a corner there.

While St Mirren have an impressive home record, our away form has quietly picked up. Good win at St Johnstone last week, decent point at United. We've only lost at Aberdeen (when we had nine players out) and 1-0 at Rangers in our last seven aways, picking up three wins and two draws. We also score away. Three at Motherwell, three at St Johnstone, twos at Killie, United, Ross County.

We're in good form in general. 17 points from 24 available since we lost to Celtic. St Mirren have 10 from their last 24.

A home-win swap wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but with four points we really lock on control of the race for third, and I'd bite your arm off for that now.

We've got St Mirren and Aberdeen at home before the end of the month. Win those two games and we'll be getting towards being tough to catch.

Edited by VincentGuerin

I’ve been very impressed with St Mirren this season - should finish in top 6 for sure. Two tough matches for Hearts particularly given we are definitely missing Gordon, Halkett, Beningame and Boyce and possibly Kingsley, Smith and Halliday. Lots of guaranteed starters there. I would be delighted with 4 points just to keep things ticking over until the injuries ease or/and we get some reinforcements in. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we lose in Paisley. 

Will be a tough game in paisley for us, I would probably take a draw right now and then look to win the next game at Tynecastle tbf, in an ideal world we can take all 6 points but I feel st Mirren are no mugs and will be a difficult proposition to play against. Robinson doing a great job there much like Martindale is at Livi imo.

As said above the away game will be tough but we have to fancy ourselves at Tynecastle. 4 points would be a very acceptable return, but ideally we can grind out another win which will set us up nicely for a couple of home fixtures.

Interesting to see who's out injury wise, hopefully get a few back.

Looking forward to both games. Hearts in Paisley is always a tasty affair and who does not love Friday night football in the Capital?

Our home form has been brilliant obviously, I don't really fear anyone in Paisley these days, but Hearts have players that can hurt us if we gift them chances so we'll need to be at our very best at the back and take our chances when they come our way at the other end.

Gogic will be a straight replacement for Ethan and O'Hara coming back is a massive plus. Still expect Brophy to start over Ayunga but hopefully the big man will be fit enough to make the bench.

Hard to see us getting much at Tynecastle, probably the third hardest place to visit in the league and not a ground we have fared well at over the years but our style of football is ideally set up for playing a team like Hearts who really want to attack so fingers crossed we can cause them some problems on the counter when that one comes around.

20 hours ago, Always Hearts said:

I’ve been very impressed with St Mirren this season - should finish in top 6 for sure. Two tough matches for Hearts particularly given we are definitely missing Gordon, Halkett, Beningame and Boyce and possibly Kingsley, Smith and Halliday. Lots of guaranteed starters there. I would be delighted with 4 points just to keep things ticking over until the injuries ease or/and we get some reinforcements in. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we lose in Paisley. 

I don’t think I’ve seen a team as unlucky for injuries in a long time, some massive players missing near enough every week.

Edited by SS77

I kind of see St Mirren as the opposite of us this season. Solid, experienced, settled back line with forwards who are pests rather than necessarily being deadly. If we lose the first goal we'll probably be in trouble.

Harsh on Ginnelly, but I'd probably go with a front three of McKay, Shankland and Humphrys for this.

1 hour ago, Gorgie greatness said:

I was passing the tele earlier when pointless was on, a contestant says St mirren which came in pointless…hope this trend continues👊🏿

DD008742-B2EB-40EA-9837-8FDDE2505946.jpeg

F1C2B583-6A05-4493-B62A-A6327B15B66A.jpeg

6F54FBB2-27F6-4C89-9F8A-BF757D989242.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

11 hours ago, Div said:

Gogic will be a straight replacement for Ethan and O'Hara coming back is a massive plus. 

I wonder if he might bring O'Hara in for Erhahon and keep Kiltie in the starting line up. I don't really see any of our centre midfielders as like for like. They all bring something different. 

St Mirren just quietly going about their business, and doing very well this season. They have managed to get themselves clear of the diddy war at the bottom, and will be looking upwards with optimism.

HMFC have to treat this game the same as we would a fixture vs Aberdeen. They are a serious rival for third, and we need to work hard and be clinical to take them out of the equation. 

St Mirren 1 vs 2 HMFC

HMFC 3 vs 1 St Mirren

Have to say Robbie Neilson has exceeded my expectations at Hearts. When he dropped down again after labouring somewhat to get United promoted, I wondered if he was doubting his own top flight creds. But you have to say he's clearly made the right long-term decision there. While you could argue that 3rd/4th place absolutely has to be par for Hearts, we know Scottish football doesn't always work like that.

I still resent him for turning us down and us ending up with Stubbs in charge in 2018, but you can't deny he's doing a good job now.

I don't think we'll lose the home game. Head says 1-1. Hoping we can avoid defeat at Tynecastle. Heart says 1-1.

Edited by Coventry Saint