Super Wildcard Weekend

lichtie23

Not as deep into the game, no, but in Staley's defence he is absolutely correct that somebody has to suit up and go take the snaps regardless.

Chargers have, if my memory is right, only 5 WR's on the roster anyway, and Michael Bandy was inactive on Sunday past, so yes, there's a case for that being a strategical error, but if you are going to demand that Mike Williams suits up but just sits on the bench the entire game, why not every other potential starter or player who will see the field in Jax as well? 

MW has missed 4 or 5 games already this season, so if anything he should be one of the Chargers fresher players going into the playoffs. DeAndre Carter and Josh Palmer have played far more snaps across 2022 than they should have because of injuries to Allen and Williams, yet nobody was talking about sitting either of those guys. IMO the biggest goof was having Herbert start and play 3/4's before being relieved by Daniel, and Easton Stick not even being active. That is just baffling, given that Staley did eventually pull all the starters so evidently wasn't that fussed about actually winning a meaningless game anyway.

On the whole, I agree it was a stupid error to have a fragile, injury-prone player play, but it wasn't the only mistake Staley made on the day and he'd be getting absolutely skewered if any player had gotten injured, which again begs the question, who exactly, were people expecting to line up and take the snaps?

was there not a team who played the whole game with 2-3 tight ends to save their WR's from injury? Giants?

for a game that didn't matter they should have put as many reserves out there as possible and used this as their bye week. As you say why Herbert played at all  never mind most of the game was iffy.

6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

was there not a team who played the whole game with 2-3 tight ends to save their WR's from injury? Giants?

for a game that didn't matter they should have put as many reserves out there as possible and used this as their bye week. As you say why Herbert played at all  never mind most of the game was iffy.

Not sure about this, but there are no rules that dictate who you have to put on the field or who you have to play. You could protect your offensive players by just punting the ball away on 1st Down of every single possession if you like, or you could just line up and take a knee on every single snap (I have vague memories of a team doing exactly this for 2 or 3 drives in the 4th quarter, Packers IIRC), it just means you are going to have your Defensive and ST players have to pick up the slack. 

I think Staley is a big believer in continuity and momentum, hence why he put the starters out there and had them play for most of the game. The playcalling was even more conservative and vanilla than usual, so that suggests he wasn't playing entirely as if it was just a typical regular season game. The defense in particular was totally vanilla and defensive backups were in the game practically from the start, and again, he did pull the offensive starters eventually, but I think he felt that having the players get reps and go into Saturday like it was any other week was preferable to having them suit up in Jax not having played a meaningful snap in two weeks. I totally understand that mindset, but it means that it's inevitable someone is going to get injured at some point, that's just the kickback of that approach.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Not sure about this, but there are no rules that dictate who you have to put on the field or who you have to play. You could protect your offensive players by just punting the ball away on 1st Down of every single possession if you like, or you could just line up and take a knee on every single snap (I have vague memories of a team doing exactly this for 2 or 3 drives in the 4th quarter, Packers IIRC), it just means you are going to have your Defensive and ST players have to pick up the slack. 

I think Staley is a big believer in continuity and momentum, hence why he put the starters out there and had them play for most of the game. The playcalling was even more conservative and vanilla than usual, so that suggests he wasn't playing entirely as if it was just a typical regular season game. The defense in particular was totally vanilla and defensive backups were in the game practically from the start, and again, he did pull the offensive starters eventually, but I think he felt that having the players get reps and go into Saturday like it was any other week was preferable to having them suit up in Jax not having played a meaningful snap in two weeks. I totally understand that mindset, but it means that it's inevitable someone is going to get injured at some point, that's just the kickback of that approach.

win this weekend and it'll all be forgotten.

17 minutes ago, steelmen said:

win this weekend and it'll all be forgotten.

Pretty much, yeah, although it'll definitely figure in the full post-season assessment of Staley's overall performance. He did something similar in the week 3 blowout to the Jags. Rashawn Slater and Joey Bosa had both left the game with obvious serious injuries, Herbert was playing a week after he'd fractured his rib cartilage. The score was something like 35-7 in the 4th quarter, and Herbert lobbed a bomb at Jalen Guyton, the team's only deep threat, which resulted in him going down in a heap with a torn ACL and missing the rest of the season.

I think it speaks volumes that Staley being viewed as a success or failure is probably still dependent on the outcome of Saturday's game. I thought prior to the season that given the talent and investment made, 11-12 regular season wins, challenging KC for the Division, and at least one playoff win was not only realistic, but the minimum requirement for this season to be tabbed a success. He's fallen a bit short of that so far, which you might want to give the injury excuse for, and that's fair enough, but I'm less concerned about one or two games missing from regular season W/L record than I am some of the trends and performances. Our solitary convincing win of the entire year was over the Rams in week 17. The only winning team we defeated all season was the Dolphins, they can barely be called a winning team, and that was our first victory over a .500+ team in over a calendar year. The run defense has been utterly putrid for two entire seasons, which calls into question Staley's alleged defensive 'genius', and that played a large part in our total inability to put poor teams away. Far too many times we were still playing one score ball late in the 4th against teams that stunk to high heaven. There's really no acceptable excuse for it given the talent on our roster. 

Oh, we also split with the Raiders and the Broncos, which just isn't acceptable given the disparity in talent and the circus state of those two franchises. Our inability to actually beat a Chiefs team we regularly outperform in the H2H games is another issue. Divisional record of 2-4 and losing to every single .500+ team you play just won't cut it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Ridiculous.

Spanos usually makes an 'end of season' announcement shortly after our final game of the year. If that's next week then it'll be interesting to hear what he's got to say. Again, I think his lack of visibility this season is more than coincidence, and the closer this game has gotten the more I'm inching towards feeling that he might well punt Staley if we lose it.

Actually, on second thoughts, f**k it, I'm done with the guy and hope they shitcan him regardless. There's just too much inconsistency in his approach, contradictory nonsense, rah-rah bullshit that doesn't translate into performance on the field, and a constant sense that even when they are winning the team is performing far short of where it should be. I've always said you can get a handle on a HC after two seasons maximum, and there's just too much negative and questionable stuff about this guy to ignore. He's like the Neil McCann of American Football. Looks and sounds slick, says all the right things, but then when it comes to walking the walk it's invariably far short of what he promises. 

There was a lot to be excited about with this team in Herbert's rookie season even though the results weren't great. We had a lot of buzz and the feeling was overwhelmingly that the next few years were going to be really promising. In reality last season was completely underwhelming and so has this one been despite making a WC. It now feels like the window is rapidly closing rather than just opening, and the team has done nothing but tread water through the cheap years of Herbert's rookie deal. I'd bin Telesco as well, in fact, I'd bin him over Staley if I had to choose one. 11 full seasons as GM. This is only our third playoff appearance over that span. We've managed double-digit wins only twice despite having stability and production at QB, and it's astonishing how few of Telesco's draft choices ever land a 2nd contract here. Staley is Telesco's third coaching hire, the other two guys managed 3 winning seasons between them but ultimately finished sub-.500 by quite a way. By whatever measure, there's absolutely no way anyone could credibly claim Telesco has been a successful GM. None.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Saturday’s contest will be the 50th meeting between these two franchises.

Seattle leads the series 30-19 and also owns the longest winning streak with 10, spanning from Jan. 19, 2014, to Dec. 2, 2018. The Seahawks hosted the first matchup of this series on Sept. 26, 1976, which San Francisco won 37-21. Only one of the 49 contests between the two clubs has come during the playoffs. Seattle defeated the 49ers 23-17 on Jan. 19, 2014, in the NFC Championship Game.

The 49ers swept the two-game 2022 regular-season series.