Dons vs rangers - league cup semi

Dons_1988

15 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

But there was a chance they could have made it, no? 

Also a bit of a different between Rangers, a team who play semis most years and therefore likely to get to one,  and Queens Park, who haven’t been in the SCF since the turn of the 20th century. 

In the very unlikely event they do reach, I would say, yes,the same principle applies. It is either a neutral venue or it is not. But I don’t think we will have to worry about that any time soon. 

I don’t see why the venue had to be chosen at the start of the season, in the league cup semi final venues are chosen based on what is most suitable depending on who reaches that stage, Hampden, Ibrox , Tynecastle , Fir park etc. Why could the same principle not be applied? 

Its not rocket science, there are only 4 stadia in Scotland big enough to handle a Rangers or Celtic semi, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic park and Murrayfield. 

Hampden,  was out of action, Ibrox is Rangers home ground. Therefore only Celtic park or Murrayfield left. 

Of course there was a chance they could've, but that can apply to everyone. I am not sure why it needed to be chosen at the start of the season, it could be for a number of reasons I am unaware of, but it was designated the host stadium for Semi-Finals and Celtic park chosen for the Final which (presumably) the clubs agreed to.

It's similar to the Champions League final of 2012 where Chelsea faced Bayern Munich in Bayern's home stadium. It just so happened Bayern made the final but they weren't going to just change the venue.

My main point being here is that it was pre-determined before a ball was even kicked in the competition that Ibrox would host the Semi Finals that season. It's the way you framed it as some big conspiracy that we were given a home venue Semi Final. We weren't, we just happened to make it that far.

13 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The West/Mt  Florida end of Hampden has always been the Rangers end.  That's just  how it is.  It was also covered whilst the Celtic end was open to the elements.

Back when we had Home Internationals the Rangers End was also the unofficial Scotland End and, for big games, the away support were herded into the opposite side.

Excellent explanation. Nobody knew that before.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

He’s not wound up by Aberdeen fans, no siree.

I don't think the "Ryan Jack is wound up by Aberdeen fans" is quite the gotcha argument many seem to think it is when he has just scored a goal and been named MOTM on his way to help us put you out the cup.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I don't think the "Ryan Jack is wound up by Aberdeen fans" is quite the gotcha argument many seem to think it is when he has just scored a goal and been named MOTM on his way to help us put you out the cup.

Maybe so, but he is still a c*** faced Judas rat.

I read through this thread this morning and can’t quite understand the number of anti-Goodwin posts from non Dons fans and the number of times Aberdeen bottling it was mentioned for a team that kept going right until the last kick of the game, which was a shot a Rangers goal, with 10 men. I was more than pleasantly surprised at our performance during the, trys to count up how long the match lasted, 138 minutes I think. Particularly happy with our showing in extra time with the 10, we just never gave up. I’m sure that there will be a number of changes on Wednesday with fatigue in mind, and I can see Hearts going into the game over confident. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I glad you don’t, but not all would agree. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I read through this thread this morning and can’t quite understand the number of anti-Goodwin posts from non Dons fans and the number of times Aberdeen bottling it was mentioned for a team that kept going right until the last kick of the game, which was a shot a Rangers goal, with 10 men. I was more than pleasantly surprised at our performance during the, trys to count up how long the match lasted, 138 minutes I think. Particularly happy with our showing in extra time with the 10, we just never gave up. I’m sure that there will be a number of changes on Wednesday with fatigue in mind, and I can see Hearts going into the game over confident. 

It's become a P&B trope and will never change. It doesn't matter as most of those fans support teams who never get a chance to bottle it in cup semis as they never get that far.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I would tend to agree. I don't think yesterdays Aberdeen performance can be regarded as a bottling at all. Sure, they dropped deeper in the second half but that was always going to be the case I think with Rangers having to come out and chase the game. We never felt really comfortable, even at 2-1 with a man advantage.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I glad you don’t, but not all would agree. 

Yeah, I'm sure Aberdeen fans up and down the country are taking comfort in the fact that they have had the last laugh over Ryan Jack here.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, I'm sure Aberdeen fans up and down the country are taking comfort in the fact that they have had the last laugh over Ryan Jack here.

Season's not over yet, he'll likely end up with as many winners' medals as the Dons.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Season's not over yet, he'll likely end up with as many winners' medals as the Dons.

Indeed it isn't and you may well be correct, I'm just not buying this whole "Jack is wound up by Aberdeen fans so the joke is on you" claim.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure what you’re trying to achieve here buddy. 

Nothing in particular. A bit of post-match banter/ribbing where I've been fortunate to be on the winning side. I am sure there would be similar the other way had the result been reversed.

Just now, AJF said:

Nothing in particular. A bit of post-match banter/ribbing where I've been fortunate to be on the winning side. I am sure there would be similar the other way had the result been reversed.

But nobody is that bothered by anything he has to say, win or lose. It’s not a “gotcha”, it’s just a fact. 

The fact he keeps doing things like that is firmly his problem. 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Except you'd all have disappeared...

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

But nobody is that bothered by anything he has to say, win or lose. It’s not a “gotcha”, it’s just a fact. 

The fact he keeps doing things like that is firmly his problem. 

I'm not saying to be bothered, but I do think that he is probably entitled to give Aberdeen fans a little back given the amount of abuse and some of the stuff that is sang about him.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Except you'd all have disappeared...

I like to think that I take my medicine when we get beat rather than go into hiding.

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not saying to be bothered, but I do think that he is probably entitled to give Aberdeen fans a little back given the amount of abuse and some of the stuff that is sang about him.

I like to think that I take my medicine when we get beat rather than go into hiding.

He’s entitled to do whatever he likes. 

Problem for wee Jacko is that he can’t get over the fact he wasn’t very popular at Aberdeen before he became a full blown rat. A homegrown boy, there for 8 years and a better player in the team. Yet no one ever really liked him. He’s never quite got over that. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s entitled to do whatever he likes. 

Problem for wee Jacko is that he can’t get over the fact he wasn’t very popular at Aberdeen before he became a full blown rat. A homegrown boy, there for 8 years and a better player in the team. Yet no one ever really liked him. He’s never quite got over that. 

Well you’ll probably find that contributes to his “problem” as you call it. If he is constantly getting abuse hurled at him then it’s simply tit-for-tat.

I just posted it here which I’d hope most people can appreciate that for what it is, some gentle ribbing.