Kilmarnock v Dumbarton

Sweet Pete

What a slog that was. A real moment of quality from Jones won that, and he definitely was the difference when he came off the bench. Still, we're in the hat for the next round. Well done to Dumbarton for bringing a good support and backing their team.

Same old issues, when teams park the bus, we struggle big time to break them down.

Dumbarton defended well. Their fans will naturally be upset they couldn't see normal time out and should probably have been 1-0 up just after our double sub, but didn't take the chance.

But for the last 10-15 mins only one team was winning that game and it wasn't the away side.

Edited by C4mmy31

20 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Same old issues, when teams park the bus, we struggle big time to break them down.

Dumbarton defended well. Their fans will naturally be upset they couldn't see normal time out and should probably have been 1-0 up just after our double sub, but didn't take the chance.

But for the last 10-15 mins only one team was winning that game and it wasn't the away side.

I think that’s probably a fair summary and another 30 minutes of ET might have become a real slog for us as the difference in fitness levels started to tell. 

Fair fucks to Martin McNiff for putting in a commendable shift against the lad Armstrong. Today could have went horribly for him but he stuck to the task well. 

I thought Ryan Wallace was superb today, what a shift he put in. He might not look the fittest but the amount of running he does when the opposition have the ball/trying to defend from the front really takes the pressure of our midfield. I think big Rusty will be a good signing for us but we really lost something when Wallace went off. I’d like to see us play them both together, they have all the hallmarks of a good partnership.

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought Ryan Wallace was superb today, what a shift he put in. He might not look the fittest but the amount of running he does when the opposition have the ball/trying to defend from the front really takes the pressure of our midfield. I think big Rusty will be a good signing for us but we really lost something when Wallace went off. I’d like to see us play them both together, they have all the hallmarks of a good partnership.

Have to agree with that, he looked like he had a fairly thankless task in the first half in particular but he done his job well enough and seemed to use his technical abilities well when given the chance.

Overall kinda gutted that we lost to a 90th minute goal but Killie were the better team as the game was going on. 

55 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought Ryan Wallace was superb today, what a shift he put in.

Completely agree, our best player. Battled really well against much taller opponents.

I thought Buchanan had a great game, too, but it was a great shift all round.

Dumbarton look a good side IMO. Very well organised, tough to pull out of shape - although I feel we should have done better certainly. Fancy them to win the league and do well next season.

I fancied this would be tight before the game, especially after the week we've had. 

Fair play to Kilmarnock, quality finish from Jones to win it. But if Dumbarton nicked a goal from McNiff I'm sure we'd have held out for 1-0. Typical Dumbarton game.

I was concerned about the view from high up behind the goal, but was ok. Would help if you didn't have to go up and down those stairs for a pie or use the toilet. Looking after the away fans there.

Popped into the bar pre game, decent entertainment, lacked a proper pint, but hey ho.

Pie was s#!/

Thought Power strolled it. McNiff had a good game as did Wallace though he was isolated, when he dropped deeper he showed his ability. He's definitely a striker at league two, but probably better served played deeper against higher level opposition. Hemming was never really tested. Fairly scrappy and poor display all around in general from both teams really. Not a classic game certainly. Disappointed it was Jones who scored the winner as I don't like him, but the winner was merited on balance of play. Still think McInroy is a wasted jersey, and not convinced by Fraser Murray. Young Finlay Gray wanted to do the 'run 50 yards in a straight line with the ball' trick that has worked so effectively for him in League Two, but you don't get that opportunity against Premiership teams and he'll need to learn to look up and pass, but that will come with time and experience.  Unusual view and experience watching from the Chadwick, but at least I can say I've now sat in all four stands.

I couldn't really fault us at all today. Our shape was superb, we defended well right throughout the team and created a few really good chances. I knew when we didn't take any of them that it wouldn't be our day, but it felt as close as we've come to causing an upset for a wee while. Even including the debacle with Dundee last year.

As has been touched on, I thought Ryan Wallace led the line absolutely superbly. He was very isolated, but used all his experience (and all his arse) to win fouls, hold play up and generally cause issues. I wish we could find a way to get him scoring because, aside from his pretty poor end product at the moment, he's really looking the part. Fit, motivated and a team player. 

That being said, there wasn't a failure in the side. And all the players can be rightly proud of their efforts tonight. Ryan Blair made a world of difference back in midfield, doing the ugly work and keeping our shape nice and rigid. And big Martin McNiff was excellent at full-back against a very tricky customer in Daniel Armstrong. Who was by far Killie's biggest threat.

Everyone was grafting for each other. McNiff and Wylde especially. But it felt like you saw a really strong team unit today. Guys wanting to help their teammates out, and nobody shirking a challenge or a bit of running.

Over the piece and as a game, Kilmarnock probably deserved to win. They really ramped things up after McNiff's chance with about 10 minutes to go, and it left me wondering why they didn't play at that tempo all game. Those last 10 minutes were really the only time all game where I actually felt like it was only a matter of time before we conceded.

The winning goal was an absolutely superb strike from Jordan Jones. Aye we could've defended the cross more effectively, but sometimes you just have to credit the finish. It was a moment of Premiership quality.

Good luck to Killie in the next round. I was in the press seats so was in the main stand and the atmosphere was really nice. The club has a good feel about it, really friendly and with a lot of families going to games together, which I love seeing. Quite often I hate going to bigger grounds and being lumped in the press bit, but today was actually quite a nice experience. I enjoyed chatting to the Killie fans around me, even if they weren't having the most pleasant of afternoons!

Really enjoyed that, result notwithstanding. Wallace was a brilliant nuisance harassing the Killie defence to force errors and win free-kicks. Had more arms around his throat in that 90 minutes than some wrestlers in a whole career.

McNiff played out of his skin against probably his worst nightmare of an opponent and the whole unit was excellent - don’t thing Long had a proper save to make until, what, the last quarter? 

Not surprisingly there were a few tired legs and some fuzzy concentration towards the end so on the whole if Sons had to go out I’d have chosen that over a 0-3 after extra time.

Dumbarton-branded confectionary at the pie stall a nice touch.