P&B Weight Observers Thread 23/24

15st 9lbs for me this morning, can always tells when I’ve put a few pounds on as I start getting Heartburn. 

Already run 4/5 times a week so get the diet under control and the lb’s should be quick enough in coming back off. Set a daily goal of 8k steps which is good enough spur to get out for a walk when I’m sat at a desk all day. 

Onwards and upwards lads 

17st6 was the damage. Shit. 

Not the heaviest I have been, but that's the only positive. Over a stone up since last July and 5lbs heavier than I was at this point last year. 

Day 1 of the diet. I have done it before and I can do it again. But really the thing holding me back is a lifestyle that has become too inactive, which needs to be addressed in tandem. I could do with adding in some running (which I absolutely hate), but needs must. Will incorporate some weights as well but trying to work out how it can be done on a defecit aiming to shed 2lbs a week without ending up burning muscle as getting enough protein might be challenging. Might need to up the calories a bit for that. 

3 hours ago, velo army said:

5:2 is pretty extreme and sounds like it would be setting you up for failure and said feeling of shame.

It also sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what your obstacles are. The thing with calorie counting is I also found it a lot of work, especially as I cook a lot from scratch. 

Habits are built through small sustainable steps. I know you didn't ask for advice or suggestions, so take it or leave it, but it might be a good idea to pick one thing to change/give up/substitute and then build on that.

I've mainly used limiting calories to lose 18" off my waistline. It doesn't have to be a lot of work and is probably easier to do if cooking from scratch. 

I guess it's an arseache if you want exact numbers and want to hit a specific number. On the other hand if you know some staples and the basic formula (4/g carbs, 9/g fat) it's easy to have a good idea if you're doing 1,500plus, 2,500 or whatever. 

Given variation in metabolism and ingredients much more accuracy is probably spurious anyway. 

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've mainly used limiting calories to lose 18" off my waistline. It doesn't have to be a lot of work and is probably easier to do if cooking from scratch. 

I guess it's an arseache if you want exact numbers and want to hit a specific number. On the other hand if you know some staples and the basic formula (4/g carbs, 9/g fat) it's easy to have a good idea if you're doing 1,500plus, 2,500 or whatever. 

Given variation in metabolism and ingredients much more accuracy is probably spurious anyway. 

Aye that's a great point. Its ultimately about listening to your body and trying things out. The high fat/low carb (and good carbs) diet is excellent and that paired with a small eating window (I normally eat 12-6 or 7) is pretty foolproof imo. At least for me.

Now to cut down on delicious donuts, yum yums and pints.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

17st6 was the damage. Shit. 

Not the heaviest I have been, but that's the only positive. Over a stone up since last July and 5lbs heavier than I was at this point last year. 

Day 1 of the diet. I have done it before and I can do it again. But really the thing holding me back is a lifestyle that has become too inactive, which needs to be addressed in tandem. I could do with adding in some running (which I absolutely hate), but needs must. Will incorporate some weights as well but trying to work out how it can be done on a defecit aiming to shed 2lbs a week without ending up burning muscle as getting enough protein might be challenging. Might need to up the calories a bit for that. 

If you hate running, then I wouldn't bother doing it. There will inevitably come a point where you think the better of it on a pishing cold day (as any sane person would) and it would be easy to become demotivated at that point if you're associating running with your overall progress. For cardio, I would just stick to walking and/or the elliptical in a warm gym with some music.

On lifting weights, I wouldn't worry too much about gaining/burning muscle, but trying to build strength. For each of the basic movements, pick a weight where you'll fail between 8-12 reps on the first set and aim to add weight or additional reps to that first set on your next session. It's possible to gain strength while on a deficit and muscle gain will likely follow.

Week1/12: Make a start that can be built on in following weeks.

Guessed start weight: 80-85kg.

Diet: Lower general consumption. No change to type of foods eaten.

Physical: 31st, 1st, 2nd & 6th: No activity. 3rd, 4th: 12 miles walking respectively. 5th: 6 miles walking.

I love this fella as he bases all of his tips on recent science. He's also honest about the limits of his knowledge. I follow a few fitness guys on YouTube. For workouts it's a lad called the Bioneer who is great and a thoroughly lovely fella. For nutrition I love Thomas De Lauer (the man in this vid).

What he has to say about belly fat is quite American specific, but I find the idea of calorie dilution and fermented foods fascinating. Doing wee workouts throughout the day seems entirely sensible too.

Edited by velo army

This recently-released Michael Mosley podcast with an obesity expert is good: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001tscq?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

The 5 tips for weight loss:

1. You will probably have to eat less but focus on the types of food you're eating, not the calories.

2. Exercise is a great thing but not as the main tool for weight loss (because it makes you want to eat more). It's best-utilised after weight loss to help keep the weight off.

3. Eat more plants.

4. Focus on losing weight to live longer not to look better.

5. There is no one perfect diet: find one that best suits your lifestyle.

11 hours ago, mathematics said:

f**k this shit.

I think the idea is that the prospect of a reduced lifespan, as well as the last 10/15 years of your life being a bit shit due to decades of being overweight, that might act as a better motivator than looking good in particular item of clothing.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I think the idea is that the prospect of a reduced lifespan, as well as the last 10/15 years of your life being a bit shit due to decades of being overweight, that might act as a better motivator than looking good in particular item of clothing.

The last 10/15 years of your life will be shit if you’re living to 90-100.

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

The last 10/15 years of your life will be shit if you’re living to 90-100.

I innocently searched for images of Dick van Dyke to mitigate your view. I'm glad I wasn't at work.

9 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I’m sure I’ll be happy if I get to 75 or whatever but that’s a long way off.  Having t shirts that fully enclose the front of my torso is a far more immediate motivator.

Spoiler
On 05/01/2024 at 14:30, 2426255 said:

Physical: 31st, 1st, 2nd & 6th: No activity. 3rd, 4th: 12 miles walking respectively. 5th: 6 miles walking.

Week 2/12: Picked up a cold/flu bug. Restart Physical in Week3. 

Physical: 7th - 13th: No Activity.

Outcome: No weight gained or lost.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Week 2/12: Picked up a cold/flu bug. Restart Physical in Week3. 

Physical: 7th - 13th: No Activity.

Outcome: No weight gained or lost.

Week 3/12: Recovered from cold/flu. Picked Up Physical activity from Week1.

Physical: 14th, 15th, 19th & 20th: 6 Miles walking. 16th & 17th: 3 Miles Walking. 18th: Rest Day. 

Outcome: Weight Loss (Visual), Clothes looser fitting, Feel Hungrier more regularly.

Just noticed this thread.

I've struggled with my weight since Covid, before then I was pretty strong, fast and fit. Decided to do something about it this year. My target is to lose between half a pound and a pound a week. Which doesn't sound much, but over a year that's possibly nearly four stone. And it seems much more sustainable as I can eat a bit more, I'm not limiting myself trying to lose lots of weight quickly.

Not doing anything fancy, trying to eat a bit less, do some more walking, get out running and get to the gym a couple of times a week. I have an Olympic barbell / weights at home so been using those as well.

I'm down 6.4 pounds but 4.4 pounds of that was in the first week when it's mostly just water weight caused by salt retention after eating loads of crap over Christmas and New Year. A steady pound a week over the last two weeks.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Just noticed this thread.

I've struggled with my weight since Covid, before then I was pretty strong, fast and fit. Decided to do something about it this year. My target is to lose between half a pound and a pound a week. Which doesn't sound much, but over a year that's possibly nearly four stone. And it seems much more sustainable as I can eat a bit more, I'm not limiting myself trying to lose lots of weight quickly.

Not doing anything fancy, trying to eat a bit less, do some more walking, get out running and get to the gym a couple of times a week. I have an Olympic barbell / weights at home so been using those as well.

I'm down 6.4 pounds but 4.4 pounds of that was in the first week when it's mostly just water weight caused by salt retention after eating loads of crap over Christmas and New Year. A steady pound a week over the last two weeks.

Nothing like setting your mind on a goal and accomplishing it. The weather has made it tougher this week to stick to my plans to get out and walk, but those are the kind of things you have to overcome if you want to finish what you start. It's all about discipline and determination. Good luck.