Pyramid lock out - how to push for change?

9 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Far from it. You are being very naive if you think that Celtic, Rangers and Hearts aren’t going to influence the pyramid structure to get the B teams in.

Erm no, you're being very naive if you think that the SPFL clubs are the same sock puppet outfits as Broomhill or Caledonian Braves. And also don't understand how the voting system works, which is quite rightly weighted against change for nonsense reasons. 

The failure of B teams to add anything of value to the LL only confirms just how stupid the chumps who took that offer were to the SPFL42. 

The chances so the SPFL changing their structure is 0%, they are happy to protect themselves at all costs, so it will come via a different route

Erm just two seconds ago you were claiming that B teams would inevitably be pushed into the SPFL - now the chance of the evil, moustache-twirling SPFL ever changing its structure is 0%. 

It must be Schrodinger's SPFL - both letting in teams but never actually changing its structure! 🤡 🤡 🤡

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Erm no, you're being very naive if you think that the SPFL clubs are the same sock puppet outfits as Broomhill or Caledonian Braves. And also don't understand how the voting system works, which is quite rightly weighted against change for nonsense reasons. 

The failure of B teams to add anything of value to the LL only confirms just how stupid the chumps who took that offer were to the SPFL42. 

Erm just two seconds ago you were claiming that B teams would inevitably be pushed into the SPFL - now the chance of the evil, moustache-twirling SPFL ever changing its structure is 0%. 

It must be Schrodinger's SPFL - both letting in teams but never actually changing its structure! 🤡 🤡 🤡

Where to start??? Div 2 clubs are no different to LL clubs, they may actually be worse with regards to their self preservation. Ask yourself why they are looking at changing membership criteria for entry into the SPFL, it’s because they see what is coming up from below, and they don’t like it. 

With regards to the voting, I suspect you are probably being deliberately obtuse, however I’ll go with it. The B team clubs hold the power in Scottish football, if a vote doesn’t get past the SPL then everything is dead, it doesn’t go any further. My point was that things will only happen if they want it, but in general the SPFL 2 clubs have traditionally resisted, this time may be different. 

On 24/01/2023 at 22:11, Burnieman said:

However, let's assume it happens and Bronze licences are required, there's a few SPFL clubs who don't have one ie. Cove Rangers, Airdrie, Kelty Hearts, FC Edinburgh, Albion Rovers and Bonnyrigg.

It would not be unreasonable to set Bronze as the minimum standard for the SPFL, but with newly-promoted teams given a period of grace to comply, say three years. Bonnyrigg's ground compares poorly with other Tier 4 grounds. The new Meadowbank is an embarrassment and desperately need the additional stand planned for the north side of the ground. TBF to Kelty, their infrastructure investments have given them a ground better than their ex-SPFL neighbours. 

Reposting an analysis I did for the League Two forum at the start of the season:

Number of times teams have finished bottom since we adopted a four league structure in Scotland:

East Stirlingshire - 8 (relegated)

Albion Rovers - 3

Montrose - 3

Brechin City - 2 (relegated)

Cowdenbeath - 2 (relegated)

Elgin City - 2

Queen’s Park - 2

Arbroath - 1

Berwick Rangers - 1 (relegated)

Clyde - 1

Dumbarton - 1

Forfar - 1

So almost any of our current part-time teams could finish bottom sometime over the next 10-15 years and could go, either if they were unlucky in a play-off, or automatically if automatic promotion/relegation is introduced.

I believe that this will force change on automatic promotion/relegation sooner or later. But what’s clearly getting in the way at the moment is clubs' fear of getting relegated into a league with B teams, university sides, a boys club and a podcast side, and some teams with very poor facilities. But when some Tier 6 sides from the bigger communities and with decent facilities get into the Lowland it will look a much better prospect for current SPFL sides. And then our pyramid will start to look more like England's, with some sides spending time in all of levels 2 through 6. 

On 05/02/2023 at 19:15, EdinburghBlue said:

Reposting an analysis I did for the League Two forum at the start of the season:

I believe that this will force change on automatic promotion/relegation sooner or later. But what’s clearly getting in the way at the moment is clubs' fear of getting relegated into a league with B teams, university sides, a boys club and a podcast side, and some teams with very poor facilities. But when some Tier 6 sides from the bigger communities and with decent facilities get into the Lowland it will look a much better prospect for current SPFL sides. And then our pyramid will start to look more like England's, with some sides spending time in all of levels 2 through 6. 

This above in bold, I'm sure is how quite a few think in Tier 6 and below about being promoted to the Lowland but I will say the Lowland is becoming stronger comparing this season when you look back to years like 16/17, 17/18 etc.. and now the lowland teams look down and know what inevitably coming up via the WOSFL and the EOSFL and they know they have to become stronger to either survive in the Lowland or get promoted.  Which is great for Scottish football.

I see so many people looking at their preference for the pyramid but it shouldn't be this, it should be what is best for the whole of Scottish football and the working pyramid system making it fair for any team to come up and down