Are you afraid of dying/death?

Are you afraid of death/dying?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

The world only "officially" started when Whitfield was built.

DD4-4-Life.

Its friday Ali, be good, stay safe, this one is only for you bro DONT SHARE

Edited by SlipperyP

On 30/01/2023 at 16:37, Boo Khaki said:

I don't agree with that part at all. The reason I exist is because my old man impregnated my maw, just like millions of other folk's dad's have impregnated their maws (steady now). It isn't any more complicated than that. The fact I'm 'me' is nothing more than happenstance. I have to be someone, and if I was an entirely different character personality-wise, perceived myself and/or the world differently, and led a completely different life to the one I have, then that too would be nothing more than happenstance. 

There's nothing remarkable about the human race or individual people whatsoever. It's just typical of our pomposity as a species that we're prone to giving ourselves special status and believing that because there are differences from one individual to another that we are all somehow some sort of miracle. We're more complex than most of the other species on the planet, but our sentience and capability for introspection is guilty of leading us to flights of fancy, including those in which we centre ourselves at the existence of all things.

We're a species of utterly pointless talking monkeys who inhabit a planet that is a quirk of biochemical accident. On face value that alone is a remarkable set of circumstances, and I've no doubt that any dominant species that found itself coming about under those circumstances would be prone to regarding itself as special, but in reality it just is nothing more than a happy coincidence that we happen to be the main beneficiaries of. The entire human race suffers from a degree of 'main character' syndrome. You only need to look at things like religious faith to see it.

Absolutely.

For me, we're just one of the however many species on this planet with no special case status.  If there's no afterlife for the 99.99% of other species, then there won't be anything for us either. At no point has a 'soul' been thrown in, and even if it did, at what point did it happen?  Given the gradual nature of evolution, there was never a 'first human'.  What's the alternative; a first person with a supernatural soul... born from soul-less parents? The entire pro-afterlife argument is nonsensical.

The harsh reality is that when we die, the signals in our brain stop working and the biological machine grinds to a halt.  No senses as a result, just as somebody blind from birth has no way of imagining what sight is like to have. Just more carbon to the cycle.  Ultimately no different to the millions of dead insects that have died in the time it's taken to read this.

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 8 months later...

You know, the whole idea of death and dying can be a bit scary sometimes. It's one of those things we all have to face sooner or later. But recently, after a death in my family, I've found myself thinking about it more often. It's like a wake-up call, you know?
Funerals and how we deal with our own mortality have been on my mind. I've been looking into alternative options, and one that's caught my attention is water-based cremation. It seems like a more eco-friendly and gentle way to go. Plus, it's important to consider the impact we leave behind on the planet, right?

Edited by Mohawkay

8 minutes ago, Mohawkay said:

You know, the whole idea of death and dying can be a bit scary sometimes. It's one of those things we all have to face sooner or later. But recently, after a death in my family, I've found myself thinking about it more often. It's like a wake-up call, you know?

Not if you wake up dead.