Ayr United v Elgin City

AUcal

This should be interesting. A huge opportunity for both sides to grab a spot in the quarter finals, where a possible big pay day and the prospect of being a game away from Hampden awaits.

A mixed run of form recently for the honest men has left us slightly adrift of the summit of the championship. We've done surprisingly well all in all so far this season and a Scottish cup quarter final would be an excellent addition. Ayr are the obvious favourites and I really hope we don't make many changes. Strong team please and get the job done. 

Elgin, I'm sure, will be right up for this and will see Ayr as a far more beatable opponent than most others left in the competition. Elgin seem to have been doing okay in League 2, sitting a point off of the play off places as things stand. That league is incredibly tight however, so hard to judge just how well City have been getting on. In truth, I would probably have preferred this tie was at Borough Briggs, as it's one of the few grounds of the 42 I've not been to.

Prediction: Ayr 2-0 Elgin

Edited by AuAl

Elgin have been poor of late with only one win in the past six league games, dropping from a comfortable 3rd to 5th. The only consolations are that we drew with Ayr (losing on pens) in the League Cup and that our away record is better than our home one. Still think it'll be a comfortable home win.

7 hours ago, AuAl said:

In truth, I would probably have preferred this tie was at Borough Briggs, as it's one of the few grounds of the 42 I've not been to.

Prediction: Ayr 2-0 Elgin

I wouldn't! It's a bugger to get to - we trekked up there last time we played them (League Cup, early in the 2010/11 season) and got beat 3-2. The ground is okay for the tick in your book but it there's nothing particularly appealing about it.

We stay over to make a weekend of it in some country house hotel that had a wedding on, and had to squeeze into the front door behind the newly weds who were having pictures taken on the steps. Ten minutes later we left the same way with Ayr hats and scarves on and had to squeeze back past them to some merriment from the assembled guests. Not quite the ambience they were looking for, I suspect ... 😁

2 hours ago, gordon9736 said:

Elgin have been poor of late with only one win in the past six league games, dropping from a comfortable 3rd to 5th. The only consolations are that we drew with Ayr (losing on pens) in the League Cup and that our away record is better than our home one. Still think it'll be a comfortable home win.

Our league cup campaign is comfortably the worst run of form we've had this season

We should be winning comfortably here, but Elgin will be right up for it and I don't think we can take them lightly...like Aberdeen did to "Dervull"

Edited by mugen_power

Interesting to see our lineup- we haven't played our strongest XI in any of the 7 Cup ties that we have played this season, with mixed results.   After Friday's let down against Queens Park I'd like to see us go strong and hopefully get back on track - last couple of home games were pretty miserable due to weather / scrappy performances so would be good to get back to entertaining ways.  

Still completely scunnered from Friday night and having to pay £20 for this is pretty poor imo.  Still a massive game and a chance to be one game away from Hampden. We should have enough about us to win the game with a bit to spare.

3-0 Ayr

I have never been less up for a last 16 Scottish cup tie in my life. 

I expect Bullen to follow form and play a mix of fringe and first team players, I expect Elgin to be stuffy and try to frustrate us like Pollock did. If Ayr get an early goal, it could be a comfortable afternoon if not exciting or Ayr could run riot.

If we play like we did against Pollock, Dundee, Partick or Queen’s Park, it could be a frustrating afternoon. The one thing worse than going out on Saturday would be a replay and then going out. So I’d prefer if we put our best available 11 out and then made changes.

A game we should win but it depends on how we decide to play.

That and paying £20 to watch it. 

Ayr 1 Elgin 0

Dempsey 82 (penalty)

55 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I have never been less up for a last 16 Scottish cup tie in my life. 

I expect Bullen to follow form and play a mix of fringe and first team players, I expect Elgin to be stuffy and try to frustrate us like Pollock did. If Ayr get an early goal, it could be a comfortable afternoon if not exciting or Ayr could run riot.

If we play like we did against Pollock, Dundee, Partick or Queen’s Park, it could be a frustrating afternoon. The one thing worse than going out on Saturday would be a replay and then going out. So I’d prefer if we put our best available 11 out and then made changes.

A game we should win but it depends on how we decide to play.

That and paying £20 to watch it. 

Ayr 1 Elgin 0

Dempsey 82 (penalty)

Don't think there are replays after the 3rd round, so will be settled on Saturday either way.

ETA

21.2 When a Match in Rounds Four, Five or Six is drawn (or, during Season 2022/23, when a Match in Rounds One, Two, Three, Four, Five or Six is drawn), a further thirty minutes, fifteen minutes each way, of extra time shall be played. Thereafter, if the Match is still undecided, the winner shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the rules laid down by IFAB. The Club which scores more times in respect of such kicks will be declared the winner of the Match and will proceed to the next Round of the Competition.

Edited by callum-ayr

14 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

What kind of crowd are we thinking - 1,200?

I'd hope that we get nearer 2,000+ as it is a last 16 Scottish cup tie after all and the team have been playing well pretty much all season, Yes, I appreciate that the £20 price might put some off but ultimately we're only 2 games from Hampden and with our best chance of REAL success for decades !!

This please:

Albinson 

McAllister      Kirk       McGinty    Houston 

Dempsey McAlear 

Mullin                   O’Connor           JML 

Akinyemi 

45 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

This please:

Albinson 

McAllister      Kirk       McGinty    Houston 

Dempsey McAlear 

Mullin                   O’Connor           JML 

Akinyemi 

That's an interesting team selection , actually quite like it but I'd swap JML and Daire around . However I have the feeling Bully will give big Fraser or Mark a run in a 442 . 

9 minutes ago, North British 2 said:

That's an interesting team selection , actually quite like it but I'd swap JML and Daire around . However I have the feeling Bully will give big Fraser or Mark a run in a 442 . 

Yeah, my thoughts were that the front three could interchange regularly. O’Connor brings you that ability to get by people and create space that you need in games like this. 

I think he might too, and I would be okay with that in the absence of Murdoch. My only concern would be our 4-4-2 seems to work best in an open, counter attacking game and we aren’t likely to see that style of game tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, my thoughts were that the front three could interchange regularly. O’Connor brings you that ability to get by people and create space that you need in games like this. 

I think he might too, and I would be okay with that in the absence of Murdoch. My only concern would be our 4-4-2 seems to work best in an open, counter attacking game and we aren’t likely to see that style of game tomorrow. 

Your correct again , 433  allows Daire and Josh to run at their flanks and if Jml is central to carry the ball there . The chaos would hopefully give Dipo plenty of space . However in a 442 can Bryden take some of the workload of Dipo and free him up a bit more , also can Bryden get amongst the goals . This would be the game to find out . Either way we win this game 3-0 . They must be hurting after last Friday .