The Ton v Dundee, 17/2/23

8 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

An outbreak of decent analysis and dialogue at the end of this thread; very disappointing.

Well, compared to your “99 times out of a hundred the challenge on him for the first goal would be a foul”  at the end of LAST week’s match thread the last few posts here have been exceptional in their balance and even-handedness. You can learn from this.    😜

17 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

It's hard to disagree with this. What I would say though is that our resources when Bowyer joined were largely tied up in long-term signings from the previous manager who were simply not good enough. Bowyer through his own admission has had to be creative with how to get players out the door in order to get others in. That's why most of our signings are loans. If he hadn't had to be so creative manoeuvring with the clubs budget I reckon we would be in that 7-10 points clear bracket you are talking about.

We are where we are though and if we have any ambition of actually going up we can't have many more nights like last night. That is no sleight on Morton mind you because they had us on toast - as many other teams have this season.

Sounds like an honest assessment. I have to say though that I felt Dundee looked like a collection of individuals rather than a team, except for the last 20 minutes of the first half. I was actually thinking, if we can get to half time still 1 up, then Dougie will be able to readjust if required. That’s why I was astonished when Bowyer went for the long ball tactics straight from kick-off in the second half. If he’d adopted that approach with 15 minutes to go I’d have understood it, but he made it easier for us to win as we didn’t have to close down all over the pitch, we just had to deal with the longest punts I’ve probably seen all season, from the halfway line with Jack Baird a colossus in defence, just dealing with that tactic with relish. This must have came from Bowyer as most of the punts came from a couple of yards from where he was standing. Just wondering what you made of those tactics if you feel I’ve given an accurate account of them.